Not able to connect to private git repo using password

Sangeeta Saikia

Jun 3, 2021, 5:06:41 AM6/3/21
to go-cd

I am trying to connect GoCD (version 21.2.0) to a git repo (version 2.25.1), and I have entered the password of the git user under the 'Advanced Settings' section. But I get Permission denied error as shown below:

Error performing command: --- Command ---
git ls-remote g...@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:sample.git refs/heads/master
--- Environment ---
{}
--- INPUT ----

--- EXIT CODE (128) ---
Jun 3, 2021, 5:35:46 AM6/3/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
This looks like an SSH connection string?

The credentials fields works with URLs. So, if this is SSH, you have two options. Choose one of:

1) Put the connection string in proper URL format with scheme/protocol, host, optional port, path, eg ssh://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/path/to/sample.git and specify creds

2) Leave the connect string as-is and use SSH key authentication. I’d highly recommend this approach over the other

Marques Lee

Jun 3, 2021, 5:40:43 AM6/3/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
To elaborate on my prior answer, there are a couple of reasons why it works on the terminal and not on GoCD.

Firstly, your terminal is interactive, so git can prompt you for credentials. This will not work on GoCD because it does not open an interactive session.

Secondly, GoCD credentials are injected using a URL builder, setting the credentials as the userinfo segment (think http://user:pa...@host.tld:port/path). g...@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:sample.git likely won’t parse as a URL, so creds are not injected. Since there is no interactive session, auth fails.

Aravind SV

Jun 3, 2021, 5:52:50 AM6/3/21
to Marques Lee, go...@googlegroups.com

I think the ssh:// protocol doesn’t work with username:password. So, I agree that option 2 (using SSH keys) is the right one to use.

Sangeeta Saikia

Jun 3, 2021, 6:04:15 AM6/3/21
to go-cd
With the first approach, I get the same permission denied error. (This approach was preferred because we have some limitations in our system, and are not allowed to use public keys)

With the second approach, connection is successful.

Thank you all for the help.

Marques Lee

Jun 3, 2021, 6:18:03 AM6/3/21
to Aravind SV, go...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough :). I’ve never tried it myself.

: Tyshawn: Despenza.

Aug 23, 2021, 9:13:05 PM8/23/21
to go-cd
I'm having the same issue. I tried both methods and neither worked for me. It was working fine until today using HTTPS.

--- EXIT CODE (128) ---
STDERR: remote: HTTP Basic: Access denied
STDERR: fatal: Authentication failed for

Any help would be appreciated. I'm running the latest using docker.