Guidance needed on securing username and password on Gocd yaml

Sushma Gangaiah

Jun 4, 2021, 7:09:07 AM6/4/21
to go-cd
Hi All,

I am stuck in encrypting password using gocd.

Referred https://api.gocd.org/current/#introduction and the paragragh in above link mentioned "All APIs SHOULD be accessed from https://go-server-url:8154/go/api", but when I try this facing 404 error. Please advice.

Regards,
Sushma

Marques Lee

Jun 4, 2021, 7:43:03 AM6/4/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
Which API are you trying to use? That text just means that url is the prefix of all api calls. Which API endpoint is throwing a 404?

-Marques

Marques Lee

Jun 4, 2021, 7:48:00 AM6/4/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
Fir example, to list access tokens for your user, you would request GET:

And of course supplying the headers and auth according to the docs.

Marques Lee

Jun 4, 2021, 7:51:36 AM6/4/21
to go...@googlegroups.com

Perhaps this is the API? You mentioned encrypting a password:

https://api.gocd.org/current/#encrypt-a-plain-text-value

Sushma Gangaiah

Jun 4, 2021, 7:55:28 AM6/4/21
to go...@googlegroups.com
Dear Marques,

Yes,how will I encrypt password? Looking for the steps to be done .  As the above link is quite confusing for me. Is it possible to encrypt in GoCD server UI?

Regards,
Sushma

Sushma Gangaiah

Jun 4, 2021, 8:00:54 AM6/4/21
to go...@googlegroups.com, Marques Lee
Dear Marques,

Do I need to use the below block to generate password?

$ curl 'https://ci.example.com/go/api/admin/encrypt' \
-u 'username:password' \ # which username password its asking for?
-H 'Accept: application/vnd.go.cd.v1+json' \ #is this constant?
-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \# also this is constant?
-X POST -d '{
  "value": "badger" # badger is value of password?
}'

Sushma Gangaiah

Jun 4, 2021, 8:11:18 AM6/4/21
to go...@googlegroups.com, Marques Lee
Dear Marques,

Please find modified block. Let me know if my understanding is wrong.

$ curl 'https://ci.example.com/go/api/admin/encrypt' \ #our gocd url?
-u 'username:password' \ # username and pw of gocd?

-H 'Accept: application/vnd.go.cd.v1+json' \ #is this constant?
-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \# also this is constant?
-X POST -d '{
  "value": "badger" # badger is value of password?
}'

Aravind SV

Jun 4, 2021, 9:48:49 AM6/4/21
to Sushma Gangaiah, go...@googlegroups.com, Marques Lee

Every API call will need authentication (either username:password you use for logging in, or authentication tokens). Those two headers are constant. And yes, the badger is the value you want to encrypt. What happened when you tried it?

Sushma Gangaiah

Jun 4, 2021, 9:59:30 AM6/4/21
to Aravind SV, go...@googlegroups.com, Marques Lee
Hi Aravind,

Yes,it worked. 😊 I was just double checking. Thank you so much for assistance.

Regards,
Sushma