deleting stale branches

Mark Ito

Mar 3, 2022, 7:54:04 PM3/3/22
to Software Help

Folks,

We have way too many branches on several of our github repositories. I think that the worst one is halld_recon. There are 523 of them. You can't see the forest for the trees. We did have a policy on this at one point, but that has failed, IMHO. On the other hand I don't think that this state of affairs has bothered us much. No one has complained about too many branches, at least not that I have heard of. So you may think that we should leave well enough alone.

Still, I propose that we do a trim of halld_recon, deleting all branches that have not had commits pushed to them for over a year. The list of these branches is attached. There are 412 of them.

Let me know what you think of this proposal.

  -- Mark

hdrb_1yr.txt

Michael S

Mar 3, 2022, 7:59:07 PM3/3/22
to Mark Ito, Software Help
No objection for my branches 😉

Cheers,
Mike

On Mar 3, 2022, at 4:54 PM, Mark Ito <ma...@jlab.org> wrote:

hdrb_1yr.txt

Sean Dobbs

Mar 4, 2022, 10:04:47 AM3/4/22
to Michael S, Mark Ito, Software Help
I'm also a major offender most likely - no objections here.

---Sean
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gluex-software/11E3818A-C762-4696-A9F7-A6AFCF582A8F%40gmail.com.

Mark Ito

Mar 4, 2022, 4:06:47 PM3/4/22
to Software Help

Folks,

A couple of updates on the proposal.

If there are any branches that people would like to hold on to, those would be exempted from deletion. In addition, if one were to checkout an old branch and push any change whatsoever (including changes that do not affect functionality) back to GitHub, the age of the branch gets updated, i.e., it would then be a brand-new branch and is not subject to deletion.

The statistics I quoted were based on a stale list of branches. The corrected numbers should be 454 branches for halld_recon and 365 of those older than a year. Not a qualitative difference. The revised list of old branches is attached.

  -- Mark

hdrb_3_1yr.txt