Help!

Amanda Valenti

Oct 25, 2022, 12:59:57 PM10/25/22
to glowscri...@googlegroups.com
several students are getting this error and I can't find any mistakes.  They have defined everything, no mispellings.

TYPEERROR:  Cannot read properties of undefined (reading "*")

CODE:  object1.pos.x=object1.velocity.x * deltat + object1.pos.x

I have tried and checke everything and it seems to not like the *.  Looking for help! Thank you.

Joe Heafner

Oct 25, 2022, 1:39:08 PM10/25/22
to Web VPython Users
Greetings.

I don't see any obvious errors, and that line works in an example I just coded up and tried. Can you please provide a link to the entire program or copy and paste into a reply?

Joe Heafner
Sent from one of my Macs

Harlan Gilbert

Oct 25, 2022, 2:12:29 PM10/25/22
to glowscri...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure that object1.velocity is defined as a vector?

Harlan Gilbert, Ph.D.
High School Chair and Math, Physics, Computer Science, and Philosophy Teacher
Green Meadow Waldorf High School
Chestnut Ridge, NY 10977

Joe Heafner

Oct 25, 2022, 3:06:13 PM10/25/22
to Web VPython Users

> On Oct 25, 2022, at 14:12, Harlan Gilbert <hgil...@gmws.org> wrote:
>
> Are you sure that object1.velocity is defined as a vector?

It was in my example on my end, but when it's defined as a scalar, as in the example below, I do indeed get the same error message. I think that's the problem.

Web VPython 3.2

object1 = sphere(pos=vector(1,2,3),velocity=5)
deltat = 0.01

object1.pos.x = object1.velocity.x * deltat + object1.pos.x

print(object1.pos.x)

Bruce Sherwood

Oct 25, 2022, 3:20:06 PM10/25/22
to Glowscript Users
Good detective work! I'm surprised to see a statement updating only the x component of a moving object rather than using vectors: object.pos = object.velocity * deltat + object.pos

Bruce