FW: [Environmental Politics & Governance (EPG) Delegation of policy making to industries

Stacy VanDeveer

Jul 13, 2023, 4:51:52 PM7/13/23
to Gep-Ed

From: EnvironmentalGovernance <environmentalgo...@mailman12.u.washington.edu> on behalf of Lifset, Reid <reid....@yale.edu>
Date: Friday, July 7, 2023 at 1:35 PM
To: environment...@u.washington.edu <environment...@u.washington.edu>
Subject: [Environmental Politics & Governance (EPG) Delegation of policy making to industries

Some people who received this message don't often get email from reid....@yale.edu. Learn why this is important

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for examples of (and thus relevant literature on) environmental policies where aspects of decision making are delegated to industries on a collective basis as a means of executing a regulation.  Examples of arrangements that are similar…but not similar enough for my purposes include:

  • Certification systems such as the Forest Stewardship Council.  Such systems generally don’t arise from a formal delegation of regulatory authority, so aren’t on target for my purposes.
  • Agricultural marketing boards.  These entities arise when companies in an industry in the US choose to tax themselves to raise funds for industry-wide marketing of commodities.  The analogy is limited for my purposes because I’m looking for delegation of regulatory authority rather than collection of fees for the benefit of an industry.

Does anyone have suggestions of examples or literature?

Thanks,

Reid Lifset

Reid J. Lifset
Research Scholar; Founding Editor,