The climate crisis is about neutralizing acid

已查看 15 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Ernie Rogers

未读,
2019年7月15日 10:09:482019/7/15
收件人 geoengineering
The ocean surface and the atmosphere are in a near-equilibrium condition--the pH of the ocean and the CO2 concentration of the air are closely coupled.  The consequence is that the ocean is getting more acidic with rising atmospheric CO2.  If we raise the pH of the ocean surface, the atmospheric CO2 problem goes away.
     Interesting fact (recognized by many):  More than 99.9% of the earth is basic.  Only 0..1% or less is acidic and needs neutralization (the biosphere).  Can't we find a manageable way to apply enough base to the problem?  (I imagine it should take dispersal of about 1000 cu.km of ultramafics to do the job, but I am an optimist.)

Greg Rau

未读,
2019年7月15日 19:16:472019/7/15
收件人 geoengineering、Ernie Rogers
On Monday, July 15, 2019, 7:09:49 AM PDT, Ernie Rogers <ernie.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

The ocean surface and the atmosphere are in a near-equilibrium condition--the pH of the ocean and the CO2 concentration of the air are closely coupled.  The consequence is that the ocean is getting more acidic with rising atmospheric CO2.  If we raise the pH of the ocean surface, the atmospheric CO2 problem goes away.
     Interesting fact (recognized by many):  More than 99.9% of the earth is basic.  Only 0..1% or less is acidic and needs neutralization (the biosphere).  Can't we find a manageable way to apply enough base to the problem?  (I imagine it should take dispersal of about 1000 cu.km of ultramafics to do the job, but I am an optimist.)

回复全部
回复作者
转发
0 个新帖子