AGU Draft position statement on Climate Intervention

Daniele Visioni

Dec 8, 2022, 1:03:08 PM12/8/22
to geoengineering
Dear all,
Please find below a link to the new Draft position statement on Climate Intervention by AGU, to which I contributed to for this year.

Comments are open to all AGU members until January 9th, after which we will take them into consideration for a final draft to be sent to the AGU Council and Board for final approval.

At the link you’ll also see the differences between the new proposed one, and the previous one from 2018.

Best,

Daniele

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Daniele Visioni, PhD
Research Associate
Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
US phone: (607)-280-0525
e-mail: daniele...@cornell.edu
website: https://dan-visioni.github.io/
Check out our latest published papers:
Scenarios for modeling solar radiation modification
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2202230119
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ron Baiman

Dec 11, 2022, 11:16:57 PM12/11/22
to H simmens, Daniele Visioni, Planetary Restoration, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings, healthy-planet-action-coalition, geoengineering
Thank you Leslie and Daniele,

This statement is a welcome development and I commend you for helping to draft it!

 I have a question and a couple of comments:

Question: After rejoining the AGU, I've been searching through the AGU website and cannot find a place to submit comments?

Comments: I'd like  to support the draft and urge that it be made both more urgent as (echoing Robert Chris' comment) there is no other option to avoid increasing calamity in the short-run, and more inclusive of other Direct Climate Cooling (DCC) methods some of which have little to no risk and can and should be rolled out for assessment and deployment immediately.  In this sense greater inclusiveness in DCC methods points to the practicality of more urgent deployment of local and low-risk methods even as more global and higher-risk methods are researched and tested further. The draft mentions "Localized surface albedo modification" noting that they are "less studied" as a category of Climate Intervention but neglects to point out and urge that some of these can and should be immediately (if found to be effective in pilots) deployed with little to no risk.

A similar problem with (non-CDR) GHG reduction efforts is the  seemingly afterthought treatment of methane removal in the statement that Daphne and others in this thread have commented on. As I recall from a podcast (Daphne and others please correct if I'm wrong on this) methods to  burn concentrated anthropogenic and natural methane releases are already included in GHG offset protocols like that of California.

For documentation of 18 different potential DCC methods including but not exclusively using SRM, see this final HPAC statement: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TowThwi6j6cX3iLGBRrj22D30cYhKa_9/edit
,
Best,
Ron Baiman

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 12:32 PM H simmens <hsim...@gmail.com> wrote:
You will find the American Geophysical Union draft position statement on Climate Intervention below. I encourage HPAC participants to review this statement and if you an AGU member to submit your comments by January 9th.

This is an important opportunity to shape AGU intervention policy to be consistent with HPAC principles.

This page describes the cost and benefits of an AGU membership:

I was surprised to see that a full year membership is only $50 and $20 for a student.

I would encourage everyone who has a comment on the statement - whether you are or will become a member or not - to share it with the group.

Any AGU veterans or others who wish to add to what I have written please do so.

Thanks,

Herb

Herb Simmens
Author A Climate Vocabulary of the Future
@herbsimens

Begin forwarded message:

From: Daniele Visioni <daniele...@gmail.com>
Date: December 8, 2022 at 1:03:09 PM EST
To: geoengineering <geoengi...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [geo] AGU Draft position statement on Climate Intervention

Dear all,

Chris Vivian

Dec 12, 2022, 5:39:22 AM12/12/22
to Ron Baiman, H simmens, Daniele Visioni, Planetary Restoration, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings, healthy-planet-action-coalition, geoengineering

Ron,

You can submit comments at the bottom of the webpage for the draft statement i.e.,

https://www.agu.org/Share-and-Advocate/Share/Policymakers/Position-Statements/Draft-Climate-Intervention

Chris.

Ron Baiman

Dec 12, 2022, 1:35:41 PM12/12/22
to Chris Vivian, H simmens, Daniele Visioni, Planetary Restoration, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings, healthy-planet-action-coalition, geoengineering
Thanks Chris!

Ron Baiman

Dec 23, 2022, 7:42:08 PM12/23/22
to H simmens, Daniele Visioni, Planetary Restoration, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings, healthy-planet-action-coalition, geoengineering
Dear Colleagues,

Comment on the AGU draft statement copied below.  I urge you to submit comments as well!

Best,
Ron

This statement is a welcome development and I commend you for helping to draft it.

I'd like  to support the draft and urge that it be made both more urgent and more inclusive of other Direct Climate Cooling methods in addition to SRM. I recommend that it be made more urgent as there is no other option to avoid increasing calamity in the short-run (at least several decades and possibly a century or more) until we are able to cut and draw down sufficient GHGs from the atmosphere and oceans to restore a stable climate and regenerate our ecosystem. I also recommend that it be more inclusive of other Direct Climate Cooling (DCC) methods, some of which have little to no risk and can, and should be, rolled out for assessment and deployment immediately.  In this sense greater inclusiveness in DCC methods points to the practicality of more urgent deployment of local and low-risk methods even as more global and higher-risk methods are researched and tested further. The draft mentions "Localized surface albedo modification" noting that they are "less studied" as a category of Climate Intervention but neglects to point out and urge that these and other low-risk and local DCC methods can and should be immediately (if found to be effective in pilots) deployed with little to no risk. For documentation of 18 different potential DCC methods (including but not exclusively SRM methods), see this final Healthy Planet Action Coalition statement: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TowThwi6j6cX3iLGBRrj22D30cYhKa_9/edit

A similar problem with (non-CDR) GHG reduction efforts is the  seemingly afterthought treatment of methane removal in the statement. Methods to  burn concentrated anthropogenic and natural methane releases are already included in GHG offset protocols like that of California: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/compliance-offset-program/compliance-offset-protocols/mine-methane-capture-project

Ron Baiman

Dec 23, 2022, 7:43:23 PM12/23/22
to Chris Vivian, H simmens, Daniele Visioni, Planetary Restoration, 'Eelco Rohling' via NOAC Meetings, healthy-planet-action-coalition, geoengineering
I'm reposting this AGU statement and comments link from Chris Vivian.
Ron Baiman