Postdoctoral positions available

Andrew Lockley

Oct 1, 2020, 9:15:06 PM10/1/20
to geoengineering

https://climate-engineering.mae.cornell.edu/postdoctoral-positions-available/

Postdoctoral positions available
We invite applicants for two postdoctoral research associates to conduct and analyze climate model simulations of climate engineering (also known as solar geoengineering or climate intervention) using stratospheric aerosol injection (SAI).  The postdoctoral researchers will join a team working on the Geoengineering Assessment across Uncertainty, Scenarios, and Strategies (GAUSS) project.  The broad research goals of this project are to better evaluate the climate effects of SAI and how they depend on the design strategy (through choices such as latitudes, altitudes, seasons of injection), different possible future scenarios for implementation, and uncertainties in climate model representations of stratospheric physics – all with an aim to ultimately better inform future decisions.  We believe that it would be irresponsible to advocate for or against actual implementation of climate engineering approaches such as SAI, given the absence of adequate knowledge.  However, we also believe that conducting research is essential for informing policy around the possible range of responses to climate change.  Funding for this project comes from the Cornell Atkinson Center for Sustainability and SilverLining.   A more detailed description of our research effort can be found on our website:  https://climate-engineering.mae.cornell.edu/research/.

We anticipate that one postdoctoral research associate would primarily focus on understanding tropospheric climate implications from different aerosol injection choices to design new geoengineering strategies and explore the range of potential climate responses.  The second postdoctoral research associate would focus more on model uncertainty and inter-model comparison of SAI to understand differences and robust responses.

Applicants must have a Ph.D. in atmospheric science, physics, engineering, or a related field prior to employment.  Prior experience with geoengineering is not necessary, but experience in running and/or analyzing climate model output is a plus.  Additional qualifications include:

A demonstrated track record of conducting peer-reviewed climate research, including analyses of large data sets, making figures, interpreting results, and preparing manuscripts for peer review
Experience and knowledge in climate or climate-related fields, including climate dynamics, large-scale circulation mesoscale meteorology, aerosols, and/or atmospheric radiative transfer.
The ability to work independently and collaboratively with other researchers.
Written and oral communication skills, including publishing research findings in scholarly journals and oral presentations at conferences.
The positions will be for one year, renewable for up to three years pending satisfactory performance and funding availability.  Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.

To apply, please email dgm...@cornell.edu, and include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and writing sample.  Please also specify three people from whom we can solicit letters of recommendation.

Douglas MacMartin

Oct 2, 2020, 9:21:59 AM10/2/20
to andrew....@gmail.com, geoengineering

You’re quick!  I typed it in last night and figured I’d send it out to the list in the morning… but you beat me to it!