Hercules Bicycle Question

Tonya Siirtola

Aug 28, 2022, 8:14:21 PM8/28/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Hi....wondering if anyone can give me some information on this bike.  I bought it at an auction 20+ years ago and it has been hanging in my garage every since.  Looking at selling it but don't know where to start.  The hub says B Type 4...thinking that means 1954??  The light on the front is super cool and the bag on the back has seen better days.  Any information on what I may have I would appreciate!
20220828_173059.jpg
20220828_162912.jpg
20220828_162916.jpg
20220828_162921.jpg
20220828_163001.jpg
20220828_162946.jpg
20220828_162902.jpg
20220828_162907.jpg
20220828_162927.jpg
20220828_162951.jpg

Gary Aslakson

Aug 28, 2022, 8:25:22 PM8/28/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
I believe B was the '50s and 4 is the year, so yes, 1954.  Sturmey Archer built the hubs.
This is a pre-Raleigh Hercules, so someone who likes English bikes will enjoy it.  That said, you won't get rich.
Where are you located?

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 7:14 PM Tonya Siirtola <siirto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi....wondering if anyone can give me some information on this bike.  I bought it at an auction 20+ years ago and it has been hanging in my garage every since.  Looking at selling it but don't know where to start.  The hub says B Type 4...thinking that means 1954??  The light on the front is super cool and the bag on the back has seen better days.  Any information on what I may have I would appreciate!

Tonya Siirtola

Aug 28, 2022, 8:44:33 PM8/28/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the info!!  I am in Bismarck, ND.  Was told it was worth about $80...would you say that is correct?

Gary Aslakson

Aug 28, 2022, 8:53:36 PM8/28/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
I say so.  Ask for $100 and see if you get it.  You can always go down. Those are nice bikes.  I have no idea what the market is like in Bismarck, though.
They are not as common as Raleighs or the Raleigh Marques (Dunelt, Robin Hood), but Hercules made many of them, so they're not rare.

Tonya Siirtola

Aug 28, 2022, 9:02:28 PM8/28/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Great!  Again, thank you for the info!  I tried to do some research but couldn't find much.  I could never find one with the bag on the back and cool little light on the front.  It needs some work but hopefully someone will appreciate it.