Looking for a rim

Kenny

May 18, 2022, 11:50:26 PM5/18/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Does anybody have a spare rim for a 1973 vintage Raleigh that they would be willing to part with?  I’m trying to restore my wife’s bike that I taco’d the rim back on the 2020 ABCE.  I don’t need a complete wheel, just the rim.  let me know what you might have.  I make frequent trips from WI through the eastern edge of the cities and could detour in if needed.  Thanks!

Kenny

Tim's Bitstream

May 19, 2022, 1:13:56 AM5/19/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com

You don't mention what size rims you are looking for.  I have two steel rims from a 1970s Raleigh Sports, 26 x 1 3/8, which you would be welcome to have for free. I replaced them with aluminum Sun CR 18 rims on that bike and the old ones are just sitting in my basement until I figure out what to do with them. I have done some rust cleanup on them with naval jelly and a wire brush, they're not at all pretty- pretty ugly in fact- but they are serviceable.  My old Sports was badly neglected and consistent with the $20 price I paid for it. I spent far more for rims, tires, inner tubes, rim strips, brake pads then I did buying it.

Tim

On May 18, 2022, at 10:50 PM, 'Kenny' via Gentleman Cyclist <gentlema...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Does anybody have a spare rim for a 1973 vintage Raleigh that they would be willing to part with?  I’m trying to restore my wife’s bike that I taco’d the rim back on the 2020 ABCE.  I don’t need a complete wheel, just the rim.  let me know what you might have.  I make frequent trips from WI through the eastern edge of the cities and could detour in if needed.  Thanks!

Kenny

Mark Stonich

May 19, 2022, 6:30:16 AM5/19/22
to Gentleman Cyclist
Kenny,
26 x 1-3/8 or 27 x 1-1/4 ?

32, 36 or 40 hole?  IIRC ’73 was the transition year from 32/40 to 36/36.

Front or rear wheel? I probably have a wheel I can just give you. If the taco’ed wheel is a 26” and has the raised center “Westrick” rims, save the spokes. They are the right length for CR18 rims.

Mark Stonich
Bikesmith Design and Fabrication LLC
5349 Elliot Ave
Minneapolis MN USA
Ph. +1 (612) 710-9593

On May 18, 2022, at 9:52 PM, 'Kenny' via Gentleman Cyclist <gentlema...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Does anybody have a spare rim for a 1973 vintage Raleigh that they would be willing to part with?  I’m trying to restore my wife’s bike that I taco’d the rim back on the 2020 ABCE.  I don’t need a complete wheel, just the rim.  let me know what you might have.  I make frequent trips from WI through the eastern edge of the cities and could detour in if needed.  Thanks!

Kenny

Kenneth Ceaglske

May 19, 2022, 7:24:58 AM5/19/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately it was a very pretty rear wheel.  26x1-3/8. Raised center.  It’ll be just a bit before I can get a spoke count, it’s a few bikes in to the winter storage area.

Sent from my iPad

On May 19, 2022, at 5:30 AM, Mark Stonich <bikesmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kenny,
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gentleman Cyclist" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gentlemancyclist/DB93D45A-CD42-4044-BFF6-34FC44701373%40gmail.com.

Kenneth Ceaglske

May 19, 2022, 7:52:35 PM5/19/22
to gentlema...@googlegroups.com