stitched networks

Isaak

Jun 11, 2021, 6:18:40 PM6/11/21
to GENI Users

Hello, I am running into some trouble creating a stitched network between an ExoGENI site and another external testbed (Chameleon@UC). I am using the FLUKES network editor, and am following documentation here: https://chameleoncloud.readthedocs.io/en/latest/technical/networks/networks_stitching.html.

This documentation states the following:
"After the slice creation is completed, nodes in the slice will be able to connect to the Chameleon nodes that are connected to the user-configured network with segmentation ID: 3299."

However, I still am not able to ping across sites on the experimental plane. Are there any final steps that I need to perform to achieve connectivity?

Isaak

Jun 11, 2021, 6:23:57 PM6/11/21
to GENI Users
Here is the manifest that was generated with the FLUKES GUI:

NodeGroup0/0 - Active -
Reservation 538a2266-39da-4c37-9547-0a0c9ec14460 (Slice slice1) is in state [Active,None]
ssh://ro...@131.94.144.83:22

fiuNet/vlan - Active - Reservation ed6ceebf-9c73-4cee-ad36-c22ac2237de0 (Slice slice1) is in state [Active,None]
No management access

ion/vlan - Active - Reservation 279d7455-c775-4f10-9a40-f15a3f9c87f5 (Slice slice1) is in state [Active,None]
No management access

Mert Cevik

Jun 12, 2021, 8:16:32 PM6/12/21
to geni-...@googlegroups.com
Your reservations are currently closed. After your slice becomes active, you should extend the reservations. This can be done under "Slice Operations" on Flukes with "Extend Slice" option.

279d7455-c775-4f10-9a40-f15a3f9c87f5 exo-sm

1 ion.vlan [ closed, nascent]

Notices: Reservation 279d7455-c775-4f10-9a40-f15a3f9c87f5 (Slice slice1) is in state [Closed,None]

Start: Fri Jun 11 18:23:44 UTC 2021 End: Sat Jun 12 18:23:45 UTC 2021 Requested end: Sat Jun 12 18:23:44 UTC 2021

ed6ceebf-9c73-4cee-ad36-c22ac2237de0 exo-sm

1 fiuNet.vlan [ closed, nascent]

Notices: Reservation ed6ceebf-9c73-4cee-ad36-c22ac2237de0 (Slice slice1) is in state [Closed,None]

Start: Fri Jun 11 18:23:44 UTC 2021 End: Sat Jun 12 18:23:45 UTC 2021 Requested end: Sat Jun 12 18:23:44 UTC 2021

I'm looking at the stitching reservation, and it seems to be created correctly (assuming that on the Chameleon side, you use a network with segmentation id of 3295).

279d7455-c775-4f10-9a40-f15a3f9c87f5

CONFIG:

Chameleon.unit.vlan.tag = 3295

fiuNet.unit.vlan.tag = 1530

This slice creates the layer-2 path across ExoGENI (FIU) and Chameleon (UC). On both sites, nodes should be in the same subnet.
Since the reservations are closed, I am not able to debug the problem with traffic exchange. Also, I could not see a network with segmentation id:3295 on the Chameleon side, your lease might have expired.

So, please recreate your setup on both ends and let us know the ExoGENI Slice name or guid. I will help you to debug.

- Mert

Isaak

Jun 14, 2021, 3:45:01 PM6/14/21
to GENI Users
Thanks! Alright, I recreated my setup with the slice name isaak-lease. Do you need any more information right now?

Mert Cevik

Jun 15, 2021, 12:49:57 PM6/15/21
to geni-...@googlegroups.com
I checked your setup on ExoGENI and ChameleonCloud.
The problem is that you are using the subnet 10.10.11.0/24 to test connectivity over dataplane.

There is a major difference between ExoGENI and ChameleonCloud.
On ExoGENI, all of the VMs have a network interface (eth0) that is used for the "control plane" which is primarily used for user access into the VMs. On your ExoGENI VMs, you should see additional network interfaces (eth1) and on Flukes you should see a VLAN/broadcast link entity that shows up with VLAN 1012 and that is the "dataplane". Those additional interfaces (eth1) are actually connected to the dataplane.

So, you can do the following:
1. Assign IP addresses to the dataplane interfaces of your ExoGENI VMs (eg. in 192.168.1.0/24 subnet)
When you create the VMs with Flukes, there is "Auto-Assign Request IPs" option under "Configure Slice" dropdown menu. You can also use that feature, that will assign IP addresses from 172.16.100.0/24 subnet if you're using a node-group. Otherwise, you can manually assign the IP addresses, too.

2. On Chameleon, you need to create a subnet that is the same one on ExoGENI. (Multiple subnets inside networks should be possible, but to prevent complications, you can remove the current subnet 10.10.11.0/24 and create the new one), then create your Chameleon instances again.

I tested network connectivity with current setup across ExoGENI-RENCI and Chameleon on your setup, and it works fine, but in order to get your VMs connected to the Chameleon instances, you have to follow the items above.

Isaak

Jun 15, 2021, 5:39:43 PM6/15/21
to GENI Users
Thank you very much, I got it working!