New e_machine for Clever-ISA.

chor...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2022, 9:03:00 PM4/12/22
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface
I have been working on a processor ISA called Clever-ISA (documented here). As of earlier today, the (WIP) lccc compiler is capable of generating ELF files for this ISA. In order to ensure standardization, I would like to request an e_machine registration for the ISA.

Cary Coutant

Apr 27, 2022, 1:40:05 PM4/27/22
to Generic System V Application Binary Interface, chor...@gmail.com
I looked through the documents you linked to, and I get a strong impression that this is an experimental design, perhaps done as a hobby or an academic exercise. I don't want to discourage experimentation in any way, but I don't think there's a real need at this point to reserve an e_machine value.

I'm open to reevaluating this if you gain support from additional toolchains and/or if there's a likelihood of building real hardware that supports this architecture.

I'm impressed, though, with the work you've done on the ISA and psABI!

-cary