Somos Primos June 2014

Genealogía de México

Jun 8, 2014, 2:55:43 PM6/8/14

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <mimil...@somosprimos.com>
Date: 2014-05-27 21:46 GMT-05:00
Subject: Posible SPAM Somos Primos June 2014
To: mimil...@aol.com

http://somosprimos.com/sp2014/spjun14/spjun14.htm

Dear Primos and friends:

Hope this summer is full of family fun and family memories, a time to relax and renew.

If you are involved with a family reunion, I hope you take lots of photos and share with readers. If your family is not holding an organized, pre-planned
reunion, maybe this would be a good time to plan for next year. There are lots of published articles for suggestions on planning a reunion.  The April issue of Ebony had a wonderful three-page article, "Its a Family Affair" with lots of pointers on how to plan a reunion.

A very special thank you to submitters of articles and family stories, Cuentos.  I have not read one that I could not relate to . . in some way.  They joggles my memory and are really fun reading. Even tales of deprivation are uplifting, because the writer lived through it; the writer is the victor over the pain.  I hope the Cuentos encourage all of you to write and share who you are, and what you've learned from life.

First Writes got me started. There are four chapters from the writing manual available free online with the publisher's permission at:  http://www.somosprimos.com/write.htm  The categories are: Home, Mom, Dad, and Money.  Those four will get you started.

Also look around the house at family heirlooms.  You've kept them for a reason, what is the reason?
Usually we remember events because of an emotion attached to it. What were you feeling?

Un Abrazo, Mimi
www.SomosPrimos.com

TABLE OF CONTENTS

UNITED STATES
We went to Congress to urge passage of the Smithsonian American Latino Museum Act!
Pew Report: Millions of Americans changed their racial or ethnic identity from one census to the next
Pew: Religious Affiliation of Hispanics
The Unbearable Whiteness of Liberal Media, If left-leaning publications value diversity,
        why don't they have any? By Gabriel Arana
Opinion: Liberal writer on 'The Unbearable Whiteness of Liberal Media' Michael Barone
Be an Activist: Join the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and Why, by Mimi Lozano
"A Chicano is a Mexican-American with a non-Anglo image of himself."  by Zita Arocha
Ruben Salazar was a journalist living in two cultures, like me by Flor Flores
Mexican-Americans show growing interest in genealogy
Why Non-holiday in Mexico. Deserves our Attention by Dr. Lily Rivera
Cuento: Part 3, Other AID/W Assignments and a Retaliatory Transfer to Pakistan by José M. Peña
Andy Garcia 2014 recipient of the Lifetime Achievement NALIP award
Jackeline Cacho Awarded Outstanding Women of the Year  by La Opinion Newspaper
New York City native Rosario Dawson, is an "Actrovist"
Cesar Chavez's link to Hector Garcia by Daisy Wanda Garcia
Harvesting Hope, the Story of Cesar Chavez
Filipino Americans and the Farm Labor Movement  by Angelo Lopez
El impacto histórico del filme sobre César Chávez   Por Armando García
ATTEND THE NCLR 2014 CONFERENCE IN LOS ANGELES
        and meet descendents of the founding families of the city of Los Angeles

HISTORIC TIDBITS
Thomas Jefferson's goal to discredit any rights of discovery by the Spanish.
May 3, 1693: Gregorio de Salinas Varona, Governor of Coahuila,
May 1, 1718: San Antonio de Valero Mission founded
Mexico's "Cinco de Mayo: (5th of May)
About Ignacio Seguín Zaragoza
The State Board of Education – A Texas Stonewall by José Antonio López
Surprising American Heroes

HISPANIC LEADERS
Jess Perez, First Mexican Mayor of the City of Orange, CA

LATINO PATRIOTS
Medal of Honor Roll Call: Joseph C. Rodriguez by Robert J. Laplander
De Los Santos Brothers
Another fallen Navajo Code Talker Warrior has departed
Cuento: Soldados, Chicanos in Viet Nam
Cuento: Sea Story by Paul Trejo
June 6, 2014, Marks the 70th anniversary of "D-Day"

EARLY LATINO PATRIOTS
Congress is urged to honor little-known Revolutionary War hero by Richard Simon
Keeping a Promise to Honor a Hero by Joseph W. Dooley
Granaderos de Galvez San Antonio Chapter participate in King William Fair & Parade
Cuento: Robert Thonhoff by Mimi Lozano

SURNAMES
The Serna Family and Your Family in New Mexico

DNA
Mexican cave skeleton reveals secrets of New World's first people By Will Dunham
About DNA, your Guide to Genealogy, from Kimberly Powell

FAMILY HISTORY
Six Tips to Find Your Mexican Family History by Glen Greene
New Online Collection of Civil War Records Released in Observance of Memorial Day
FamilySearch Adds More Images to from Philippines, Portugal, Spain, & United States

EDUCATION
Renato Rosaldo, a World's Leading Cultural Anthropologist
Handbook of Latinos and Education, Theory, Research, and Practice,
           Edited by Enrique G.Murillo Jr., Sofia Villenas, Ruth Trinidad Galván, Juan Sánchez
           Muñoz, Corinne Martínez and Margarita Machado Casas
Challenging Minds for 50-Plus Years: Felipe Ortego
Immigration Options For Undocumented Youth "Dreamers"

CULTURE
Sixto Diaz Rodriguez, Sugar Man Finds Radio City
Popularity of mariachi music on its way to becoming ingrained in the U.S. social fabric
Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts
How to Type Spanish Letters and Accents (á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ, ¿, ¡)

BOOKS AND PRINT MEDIA
A Free Gift From Victor Villaseñor: Dolphin Miracle plus your own key to Living Miracles
Great Latino Book & Family Festival by Kirk Whisler
The Power of Latino Leadership: Culture, Inclusion, & Contribution by Juana Bordas awarded
           Nautilus Book Awards' Gold Medal for best Multicultural/Indigenous Books
The World War I Diary of José de la Luz Sáenz, Edited and translated by Emilio Zamora
Through the Archival Looking Glass: A Reader on Diversity and Inclusion,
          Edited by Mary Caldera and Kathryn M. Neal
Making Aztlán: Ideology and Culture of the Chicana and Chicano Movement, 1966-1977
           By Juan Gómez-Quiñones and Irene Vásquez

ORANGE COUNTY, CA
June 14th:  SHHAR Meeting, "Los Fundadores de Mexico" presented by Author/Genealogist John Schmal
Restored centuries-old painting back on display at mission
Jose Vargas, First Hispanic Affairs Officer with Santa Ana Police Department
Santa Ana swears in its first Latino police chief, Carlos Rojas
2014-2015 Orange County Grand Jury Selected

LOS ANGELES COUNTY
Walking Tours of Los Angeles
Photos:  Olvera Street, Los Angeles, California
‘Magulandia and Aztlán’ to be part of Getty’s PST L.A./L.A. in 2017
My Whittier Blvd. Connection by Roberto Dr. Cintli Rodriguez
Cal State L.A. breaks ground on the Rosie Casals/Pancho Gonzalez Tennis Center

CALIFORNIA
May 30- August 26: Spain’s Gilded Age On Display at SMU’s Meadows Museum
Decade of feeding needy religiously by Kevin Parrish
May 28: Veteran Job Training and Employment Opportunities Fair
August 2: Teodora "Teddi" Montes presenter at
            Nueva Galicia Genealogical Society of Northern California Conference
Visita de Su Excelencia Ramon Gil-Casares, Embajador de Espana en Washington a
           at San Diego
June 19 - June 21: 60th Anniversary of the Conference of California Historical Societies
Two Californians Joined by a Grizzly Home Invasion
California's Latino Plurality Brings a Sense of Déjà Vu by Leslie Berestein-Rojas

NORTHWESTERN, US
History of  Latino/as in Washington State, by Jose M. Alamillo

SOUTHWESTERN, US
My Days as a Colonist / Soldier with Don Juan de Onate – Part 5 by Louis F. Serna
Sherman Library to mark donation of 50,000 photos by Nicole Shine
A Big Showdown in El Paso

TEXAS
Cuento: Erasmo "Doc" Riojas  Shares Texas Memories
Cuento: Searching for Nopalitos in the Wooded Area Outside of Corpus Christ, mid 1940s
             by Refugio Fernandez
Cuento: Beneath the Shadow of the Capitol by Ramon Moncivais
San Antonio Fights for Pink House  by Margaret Foster
2014 Tejano Heritage Month Poster Contest
Margil, Sor Maria Initiative
Mujeres in Texas History by José Antonio López

MIDDLE AMERICA
250th Anniversary of the Founding of St. Louis
Nancy V. "Rusty" Barcelo, Ph.D. First Mexican American at the University of Iowa
Illinois Latino Voice: Talking Raza with Rita Hernandez, Ph.D.

EAST COAST
Mercedes Esposito Uses Her Store to Teach About The History Of The Incas
"The Battle of Bloody Mose" Commemoration, June 21-22, 2014, St. Augustine, Florida
New Jersey 'Mormon Prom' Draws Hundreds Of Teens For Celebration Of Modesty
LULAC and the Maru Montero Dance Company, 22nd Annual National Cinco de Mayo Festival
More than 60 pounds of gold were recovered from an infamous 157-year-old shipwreck

AFRICAN-AMERICAN
Black Airmen in World War II, 1941-1945

INDIGENOUS
Photo: Dec. 1943: Navajo Indians, Southwest US, members of the 158th U.S. Infantry
Oscoda/Mikado Michigan Indians and the Lindquist Photos
Tejano Indians
Alcatraz Prison, an Egyptian pyramid and an Arizona Native American sweat lodge,
         what do they have in common? by Mimi Lozano
Dos registros correspondientes a Indios de la nación Comanche y Seminole.

SEPHARDIC
Castrillo Matajudíos, Spain

ARCHAEOLOGY
Christopher Columbus' flagship, the Santa Maria believed found on a Caribbean reef
Scientists Find Neanderthals Not Less Intelligent Than Modern Humans, by BIan Sample
One of science’s greatest mysteries deepens: Did humans kill off Neanderthals?

MEXICO
El primer matrimonio del Señor General Defensor de la Patria Don Gerónimo Treviño Leal.
Libro de bautismos de la Cd. de México de " San Pedro Regalado

CARIBBEAN/CUBA
Congressional Gold Medal Bill Going to White House After Passing Senate
Copy of the Act to award a Congressional Gold Medal to the 65th Infantry Regiment,
Borinqueneers' shirt promoting 65th Infantry Regiment Congressional Gold Medal

CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA
El fotógrafo Jimmy Nelson Inmortalizo a 35 tribus  que están en peligro de extinción
Cuento:  A Heart-to-Heart Connection by Dr. Ana Nogales
Cuento:  The Power of Latino Leadership by Juana Bordas

PHILIPPINES
A Measure of Her Unflagging Love by Gloria Del Mundo-Ong
The Languages of the Philippines by Eddie AAA Calderón, Ph.D.
The Month of June, Remembering Magic Is the Moonlight by Eddie AAA Calderon,
Aurora, Philippines: a Place of Enchantment by Galo Gonzales (Poppo Olag)

SPAIN
Bocacio Alonso, de Bollullos del Condado por Ángel Custodio Rebollo

INTERNATIONAL
Amesbury in Wiltshire confirmed as UK's oldest and longest continually-occupied settlement
Let’s think about this . . . .
Application of Foreign Law in US Courts

mimilozano

Jun 8, 2014, 7:01:58 PM6/8/14
to genealog...@googlegroups.com
Samuel . . .

Did you write the heading . . .  >>   Subject: Posible SPAM Somos Primos June 2014    ??

I do not understand why you referred to the notification letter with the June Table of Contents as Posible SPAM   . . . . ??

Please if you do not want to share, don't . . .  but if you do . . . please do not refer to it as Posible SPAM.
That is very damaging.

Mimi

[...]

* Nuestra pagina web oficial la encuentras en http://www.Genealogia.org.mx

- Ayudanos donando un poco https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=RMCWU7BKWCT2Q
---
Has recibido este mensaje porque estás suscrito al grupo "Genealogía de México" de Grupos de Google.
Para anular la suscripción a este grupo y dejar de recibir sus mensajes, envía un correo electrónico a genealogia-mex...@googlegroups.com.
Para publicar en este grupo, envía un correo electrónico a genealog...@googlegroups.com.
Visita este grupo en http://groups.google.com/group/genealogia-mexico.
Para ver esta conversación en el sitio web, visita https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/genealogia-mexico/CAC3zm98XNKhHNR2My%2B%3DzE5Zm6i52_FAAaB4o_zkR-aOA_JXdWw%40mail.gmail.com.
Para acceder a más opciones, visita https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Genealogía de México

Jun 8, 2014, 8:28:00 PM6/8/14
to Genealogia de Mexico
an error,
excuseme

Para acceder a más opciones, visita https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
(desde mi Blackberry )
Benicio Samuel Sanchez

Email: samuel...@genealogia.org.mx
Website: http://www.Genealogia.org.mx
Celular Monterrey 811+513+8354 (from USA 01152+181+1513 8354)
Celular desde Otras Ciudades de Mexico : 045 81 1513 8354
Skype
: Genealogia.org.mx

"Haz tu Arbol Genealogico...El Arbol mas Hermoso de la Creacion"
Por medio de la historia familiar descubrimos el árbol más hermoso de la creación: nuestro árbol genealógico. Sus numerosas raíces se remontan a la historia y sus ramas se extienden a través de la eternidad. La historia familiar es la expresión extensiva del amor eterno; nace de la abnegación y provee la oportunidad de asegurarse para siempre una unidad familiar”.
(Élder J. Richard Clarke, Liahona julio de 1989, pág.69)

mimilozano

[...]

      &n bsp; why don't they have any ? By Gabriel Arana