Use Geb with Amazon Device Farm

Fabian Venga

Nov 7, 2017, 5:48:18 AM11/7/17
to Geb User Mailing List
Hey,

I was just wondering if Geb is ready to be used with the Amazon Device Farm since they just support those test types:

Is it possible to transform the tests written in Geb to JUnit or TestNG?

Cheers
Fabian

Alexander Kriegisch

Nov 7, 2017, 7:05:06 AM11/7/17
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
You could write a driver manager for it. I did that one or two years ago for TestChameleon by Testbirds, another cloud test service. It was not easy to get every detail working perfectly, but no rocket science either. A proof of concept should be feasible in a day or two. You can keep evolving it if you need more special features with regard to driver management.
--
Alexander Kriegisch

Marcin Erdmann

Nov 7, 2017, 2:17:59 PM11/7/17
to Geb User Mailing List
You are mixing concepts here, Fabian. Geb is a browser automation toolkit and not a test framework. It can be used with any test framework and comes with integration with Spock, JUnit and TestNG, see http://www.gebish.org/manual/current/#spock-junit-testng. So you don't write tests in Geb, you are writing them using Geb and yes you can write them in JUnit or TestNG.

I'm not familiar with Amazon Device Farm, but after a quick look it seems to be using Appium which is using WebDriver wire protocol under the hood which means that Geb should work with it.

Fabian Neugart

Nov 7, 2017, 3:15:44 PM11/7/17
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both for clarifying this. Indeed I was mixing things up!

GebUser

Dec 7, 2020, 9:27:50 AM12/7/20
to Geb User Mailing List
hi Marcin,
If I put all the necessary information in GebConfig.groovy, will Geb support Device Farm?

Thanks,
Ramesh