Cloud print always reports the network printer as 'offline'.

ad...@denied.gr

Oct 22, 2013, 5:40:57 PM10/22/13
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής
Hi,

My cloud-ready Samsung SCX-4650 4x21S Series is always shown as OFFLINE in the printers list however, I can print normally.
Tried different routers, DMZ the printer IP, firmware upgrade, and everything else that can be done from my side.

Any ideas?

Thanks :)

Robert Toscano

Nov 6, 2013, 6:42:46 PM11/6/13
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής
Hi, when you say you "can print normally", does your printer automatically start printing when you submit a print job? Or does the printer require a power cycle before printing normally?

ad...@denied.gr

Nov 7, 2013, 1:56:55 AM11/7/13
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής
I can just fine without a power cycle.

Robert Toscano

Nov 7, 2013, 5:16:48 PM11/7/13
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής
We determine whether your printer is online by whether its XMPP connection is established. It could be that your printer's XMPP connection is down and the only reason why the printer starts printing new print jobs is because it is polling cloud print.

Is it possible to monitor the traffic in your local network to see if the printer is indeed polling?

ad...@denied.gr

Nov 9, 2013, 6:02:21 PM11/9/13
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής
Printer ID: 1efddbf2-4414-2702-2311-5a041502a6b9

I'm not really familiar with network printers and their protocols tbh. Could you provide me some details on the monitoring process?

evan.ro...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2013, 12:18:11 AM12/9/13
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής
If I may throw my two cents in I believe OP was referring to "printing normally" as no printing via google. I say this because this is my very problem and would appreciate some advise if anyone has anything to offer.

If I am sitting at my desk in my office I am able to print to the network HP m602 next to my desk. However, from my iPhone that very printer will show as being "OFFLINE." Over the weekend I spent some time digging around for the issue or even just a fix and was unsuccessful, but I did notice when accessing the google cloud print web based dash board on the very computer I just printed from the printer I refer to for this post shows it has a status is of "OFFLINE." Please advise if you believe you can help. Thanks!

ad...@denied.gr

Dec 9, 2013, 4:43:24 AM12/9/13
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής
Nope.
I'm talking about google printing remotely.

215ebr

Dec 9, 2013, 9:46:16 AM12/9/13
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
That's great! I stand corrected. Honestly, I wish I had that problem and not what I believed you were reporting as I am not able to print over google cloud print. It's very frustrating!

I know the printer works and there are no connection problems because I am literally sitting in front of it and able to click through the file - print menus in whatever application (word, adobe acrobat pro xi, or even a tab in my Chrome browser) on the computer and watch the machine print the job.

What could be the road block here? In fact in my afternoon troubleshooting before getting here I did a fresh setup of the cloud print extension. I disconnected the gcp extension in chrome browsers setting menu and through the gcp web based dashboard I deleted the printer. Subsequently, I started up Chrome and went through the setup successfully (I thought)! Without issue I followed the setup, my available choices of printers to add to cloud print by gcp's list that (I guess) auto populates using the printers your computer has installed on it was displayed showing the printer I am reporting on I chose to add the printer. The setup process then did its thing and was done. No errors; flawless and I believed I was ready to go.

Nope. I went straight to my web gcp dashboard where I immediately saw my printer was "OFFLINE." Seriously? I can't figure this one out for the life of me. Btw, I guess I should mention this is a problem that showed up after gcp working flawlessly for six or more months. Approximately 1 month or maybe even 2 months at this point I noticed when I went to print the printer was not available. Further, I am limiting my report to one printer because I want to keep this simple until it proves to be an issue I need to expand the area of our troubleshooting to cover, but there are 3 printers connected to the gcp account that were setup the first go around with gcp and as I said they all worked without fail for a while. Suddenly, none of the gcp printers are available to print my job. I am stumped with this one....

Please advise? Thanks in advance!

Blake

Robert Toscano

Jan 9, 2014, 4:42:48 PM1/9/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

If the Chrome connector is still failing to download print jobs, the most likely cause is that XMPP connections cannot be established with our server.

Vitaly Buka

Jan 9, 2014, 5:36:34 PM1/9/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Could you please provide debug logs?
1. Open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
2. Find entry with "chrome.exe --type=service"
3. append  --enable-logging --v=1
4. restart computer
5. Signing into windows and wait few minutes. Make sure that printer in still offline in management page.
6. Find  and sent to us file chrome_debug.log from user data dir. See http://dev.chromium.org/user-experience/user-data-directory

It's even better to file separate bug and attach log file there https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/entry

des...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2014, 10:21:49 AM1/11/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Did you find a solution?

I recently got a Canon MG6320 (supports Cloud Print natively).

It worked fine the day I set it up (with my Nexus 7, Samsung Chromebook, Galaxy S4, and Chrome browser on my MacBook). The next day it stopped working through Cloud Print (showed "Currently offline" at https://www.google.com/cloudprint#printers).

I restarted the printer, which fixed it in Cloud Print. The next day it was offline again.

I removed and re-added the printer, which again fixed it. The next day it was offline again.

I forwarded XMPP ports to the printer on my router (an Apple TimeCapsule). I don't think all are needed, but I opened 5222, 5223, 5269, 5298, and 8010 (TCP and UDP for all of them). Restarted the printer and it worked for a day, and then was offline again.

I ran nmap and nettop and didn't see any activity or useful information, but I'm not a network guy and might not be using the right parameters.

During all this, the printer itself has been connected wirelessly (always prints fine via airprint from my MacBook, I can refresh its status and ink levels, etc).

Any thoughts? It's not the end of the world if I have to restart it every day, but it seems like I shouldn't have to do that.

Robert Toscano

Jan 13, 2014, 5:53:51 PM1/13/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to make sure, even though your Canon supports Cloud Print natively, you were still connecting it through a computer with Chrome on it?

ewanrobe...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2014, 6:54:17 PM1/15/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I'll jump into this discussion too! My Canon Pixma 926 is 'cloud ready' and has been registered but goes offline without notice or reason after some time...

It works directly on the LAN and - when it does show up as online - I can print to it externally.

Robert Toscano

Jan 15, 2014, 9:07:04 PM1/15/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Could it be that your printer is entering deep sleep mode (during which it shuts off its network connections)? If so, you might be able to turn off deep sleep from the printer's settings.

ewanrobe...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2014, 9:13:38 PM1/15/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I'm not too familiar with the technologies used on GCP but it still responds to local communication over wireless LAN - from my perspective this doesn't seem to gel.

I'd also be surprised if a printer was made 'cloudprint ready' when it shut itself off from google cloud print every hour or day or whatever - seems to defeat the purpose.

I'll look for deep sleep settings and see how I go, thanks for the tip.

Ewan

tlwilki...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2014, 1:31:51 PM1/16/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Having exact same problem as Ewan. I have a Canon Pixma MX850 which is online but google reports it as offline. I can print to it with no problems from any of my ipad devices via printopia but in trying to get google cloud printing working find that the cloud printing stuff reports it as off line.

No idea why. It does go to sleep but any device printing will wake it up and print except for cloud print. Any ideas would be useful.

wiest....@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2014, 6:54:23 PM1/25/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
I'm having similar problems with my HP Photosmart 5510, I can print to it wirelessly from my computer, but anything I try to print through Cloud Print shows my printer as offline. If anyone has figured this out I would love to know!

jmcq...@trbls.com

Feb 1, 2014, 8:28:48 AM2/1/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, wiest....@gmail.com
Same problem with Samsung a ProXpress SL-M3320ND Monochrome Printer. The day it was installed it worked fine from google cloud, but it's been 'offline' ever since. I've tried shutting down, reinstalling, rebooting routers, etc. No change.
I can print via Samsung's SyncThru web service, but not through cloud print.

12 Clifton Road, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 7EN, England
A limited company registered in England, Number 2350654

michael...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2014, 10:03:09 AM2/4/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Same thing with Canon MF8580Cdw. Works fine after restart, but then after some time shows offline again.

Shouldn't be because it goes to sleep - as it was said it defies the purpose.

adrianw...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2014, 1:22:43 PM2/21/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Same problem with Epson workforce 630.  Just keeps going to sleep and needs to be power cycled to print again.  I'm using windows 8.

hsa...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2014, 12:50:17 PM2/26/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
I guess I will add myself to this mix as well.  I have a cloud-ready Canon MX-920.  It's wireless and connected to my network.  I can print to it wirelessly from any PC.  I can also print to it from my iPad using Airprint.  But I have to go to it and go into the options and tell it to connect to Google Cloud print server every time.  So if I need to print I do that and it will then show online for a while (not sure if it's hours or days) but sure enough when it's time to print again it will be offline for Google Cloud Print but online for everything else.  It would be nice to have an explanation or a fix. I was going to connect it via RJ45 instead of wireless to see if maybe the wireless times out or something and can be woken up from the other services but not from Google printing - not sure though.

dlpo...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2014, 6:03:28 AM3/7/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, hsa...@gmail.com
My cloud printers are offline as well ... but I think my problem is that I install opendns to keep my kids from going to inappropriate places on the web ... can anyone provide the URLs that need to be unblocked to allow cloud printing?

jerrym...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2014, 9:58:13 PM3/7/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, hsa...@gmail.com, dlpo...@gmail.com
Me, too! I don't see any answers in this long stream.

Maurice van Kruchten

Mar 9, 2014, 2:40:44 PM3/9/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, hsa...@gmail.com, dlpo...@gmail.com, jerrym...@gmail.com
Same problem goes for the samsung CLX 3305 FW it stays offline. I have now opened my port 5222 and it seems printing now works, but with a delay of 4-5 minutes. During printing the printer still shows offline.
 The delay is very irritating when I am on my chromebook on my home network. I wish you could just add a normal network printer to chromeos, or improve cloud printing.

ixtl...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2014, 12:12:48 PM3/18/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Same here- Canon MP560 - I printed one time right after I had enabled cloud print, since then everything I print goes into the queue and the printer shows "offline". If I go to my desktops and open the printer utility/or print something then the cloud print files print.

joeboy...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2014, 9:34:44 PM3/19/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
And just to add my situation here, Canon MG5420 and I'm seeing the same behavior everyone has described...if the printer is off or asleep, I can wake it to print from any other function except Google Cloud Print.  Which is annoying, because if I want to print from my local wireless network, I can go over and turn the printer on...but I can't remotely, which is when I most want this feature!

Joe Elliott

anthony....@focusonideas.com.au

Mar 27, 2014, 11:51:16 PM3/27/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Hi,
Same problem Canon MG6250.  AirPrint OK, Network Printing OK, Google Cloud Print Printer Offline.  As some else has done, if I delete and reinstall the printer on Google Cloud Print it will work until it goes to sleep and then says it is offline in Cloud Print even if it wakes and prints using other methods.

On Wednesday, 23 October 2013 08:40:57 UTC+11, ad...@denied.gr wrote:
Hi,

My cloud-ready Samsung SCX-4650 4x21S Series is always shown as OFFLINE in the printers list however, I can print normally.
Tried different routers, DMZ the printer IP, firmware upgrade, and everything else that can be done from my side.

Any ideas?

Thanks :)

Strategy • Governance • Leadership

Focus on Ideas Pty Ltd ABN 85 152 409 795
PO Box 2431 Templestowe Lower Victoria 3107
T: (03) 9013 0962

This email is private and confidential.

lee.la...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2014, 7:40:05 PM3/31/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, anthony....@focusonideas.com.au
I was having the same problem with my network brother 5250.  I deleted the printer from Google Cloud and the printer is working the way it should.  I can print from Google and FireFox as well as from my non web based programs.  The original problem started slowly, first I had to wake up the computer through a not web based programs such as doing a printer test, then all items spooled in the cloud would print.  That worked for a week, then today there was nothing I could do to get the printer to go online through a web browser until I deleted it from Google Cloud.  My printer was not one of the supported printer but Google Cloud had it listed anyway.  In fact it has listed all printers that are on my printer list.   I hope this is a long term fix.  I have wasted too much time trying to find this work around.

Good Luckj

redse...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2014, 1:55:25 PM4/2/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
I am having the same problem I can print from a pc laptop with Chrome, but can Not with HP Chromebook printer says offline on the Chromebook.

wewantt...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2014, 7:03:52 AM4/3/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Canon PIXMA 922 - same problem, offline unless I restart the printer.  Not very convenient and defeats the purpose of cloud printing.

klumpp...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2014, 10:22:38 AM4/3/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
same problem here with epson workforce WP-4535 Series. it used to work, but has stopped functioning about 3-4 months ago, no idea why.
I have spent a lot of time on finding out about the problem. nothing works. too bad, gcp is a wonderful idea. in theory...

kmin...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2014, 4:10:34 PM4/3/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Ditto- Canon Pixma MX860 is shown as offline. Printing via the LAN wirelessly is fine.

Lee Lamparski

Apr 3, 2014, 4:39:29 PM4/3/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Try deleting printer from Google Cloud.  It worked for me

Lee Lamparski

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth... not going all the way, and not starting."
Buddha

nint...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2014, 8:57:52 PM4/10/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I also have the same problem on a gcp ready canon pixma. Any progress on this bug?

PeteKl

Apr 17, 2014, 10:04:52 PM4/17/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
I don't know if this will help, but at one point I kept having problems keeping my Samsung printer (that natively supports Cloud Print) online.  I would try to register the printer again and, after several failed attempts, would finally get Google to see it only to watch it go offline shortly thereafter.

After much frustration, I eventually tracked it down to an ad blocker I had running.  Once I whitelisted my printers administrative web server I was able to successfully register the printer and keep it online.  Apparently the ad blocker somehow interfered with the printer registration process just enough to prevent Google from seeing whether the printer was online or not.  It might be worth a look if you are running an ad blocker of some sort.

webm...@khorassan.de

Apr 28, 2014, 10:44:30 AM4/28/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com
how can we identify that? is there any specific name? i am using freepdf to print the page as pdf instead to a paper print. will that cause this problem?

Tom Wilkinson

Apr 28, 2014, 10:50:59 AM4/28/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com
So the easy way to get around this which I have not done is whitelist the printer. Maybe the firewall is causing problems. Will try this when I back at the house and see if this does it. Good place to look, had no other places to look.

thanks

Regards

Tom Wilkinson 403 889-4441

webm...@khorassan.de

Apr 28, 2014, 10:58:22 AM4/28/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, kmin...@gmail.com
Purchased New Samsung Xpress M2022W thingking it will work with GCP. In wireless/local  it works fine. Nut Google shows  always shown as OFFLINE in the printers list :(

PeteKl

Apr 28, 2014, 10:09:52 PM4/28/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
I've since had a chance to work a little more with this printer.  I've discovered there may be more going on with the ad blocker (Adblock Plus) than I first suspected.  It appears that just trying to print a page with the ad blocker running may be enough to knock the printer offline.  I have now completely disabled the ad blocker and things seem to be working better.  Hopefully this will correct the problem since this is starting to get rather annoying.
Message has been deleted

kevinsil...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2014, 2:02:08 AM4/30/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com
Peter, thank you for the suggestion and the detailed instructions you sent me. Unfortunately, I did not see any Ad Blocker extensions in my Chrome OS. I've even paid a computer tech to come to my house. He can't figure why we successfully register the Samsung printer, it show as "online", and then a day or two later show "offline." I have returned the printer to and have ordered Brother brand printer to give a try. I have no idea if it will be any better but don't know what else to do. GCP is so close, yet so far away. Frustrating and disappointing. Thanks again for your info.

kevinsil...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2014, 2:16:45 AM4/30/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, hsa...@gmail.com, dlpo...@gmail.com, jerrym...@gmail.com
Maurice, could you please tell me more about "opening port 5222." I am having the same issue with my Samsung xpress C410W. Where do I open this port? Is it on my modem/wirless router, on the printer, or somewhere else?

Steven M. Garber, Esq.

Apr 30, 2014, 6:49:12 AM4/30/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, dlpo...@gmail.com, jerrym...@gmail.com, ad...@denied.gr, Νίκος Παπουτσής, hsa...@gmail.com

I have a Brother and get the same "offline"  message. However, I print to the offline printer anyway which is typically off site at my office and we when I arrive and start using the computer , the printer usually wakes up and prints the jobs that were in the queue. The problem is that when the printers go into sleep mode, they show in the cloud as "offline".

Steven M. Garber, Esquire

PeteKl

Apr 30, 2014, 12:55:44 PM4/30/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com, kevinsil...@gmail.com
Unfortunately I am finding out that my ad blocker theory is probably a dead end.  My printer is also continuing to slip offline after a day or so.

Based on Steven's comment below, I decided to take a closer look at some of the power saving settings on my Samsung printer (Xpress SL-M2825DW).  I noticed that under Settings:Machine Settings:Setup there is a toggle for "Wakeup Event" under the "Power Save" timeout.  By default this is set to "off" (Power Save default is 1 minute with no apparent option to disable).

There is no explanation for what "Wakeup Event" does, but I'm guessing it might be similar to "Wake on LAN".  I am suspecting Google occasionally polls printers to verify that they are still connected.  Since my printer usually goes to sleep after 1 minute and presumably won't by default respond to wake up events from the network, Google obviously would decide the printer is offline.  I'm also guessing the printer, since it doesn't hear from Google after a while, will then decide to unregister the printer.

Anyway, if you have a similar setting on your printer it may be worth a try.  I am trying it now but it may take a day or two to confirm that the printer will stay online.

dsimsr...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2014, 6:22:49 PM4/30/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com, kevinsil...@gmail.com
go on to your router and have a look at configuration. i found on my samsung printer after going into network setting in the menu, all of the ports it used, i then went to my router and opened them all and now the printer shows all the time to be on line.

just waiting for it to print and see what happens.

hope this helps

Jeff Martin

Apr 30, 2014, 6:53:59 PM4/30/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I'm having the same issue
I bought a Chromebox and a Samsung SL-M3320ND, to test and make sure it would work for our field staff.
I tested it on our company network and it worked fine.  Disconnected it and set it up in a the home of an employee to test and the printer will show offline no matter what.
I can't print at all, When i test connection on the samsung printer it succeeds everytime and it registers fine but it will not let me print from the chromebox.
Tomorrow i was going to put the cable modem in bridge mode and try and use a linksys router instead.
Hopefully something will work as i'm hoping to roll 50-100 of these systems to our field staff asap.

Seems to be a common problem with cloud print though :/

PeteKl

Apr 30, 2014, 7:28:01 PM4/30/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com, kevinsil...@gmail.com
Did a little more digging and finally noticed this post:

At least for Samsung printers, this appears to be a common problem.  According to "Kelly's" post on April 24 this is a firmware issue and:

"Samsung has a fix in place, but now it's a question of how soon they can get them rolled out so that users can get the firmware updates. I think the new firmware will need to go through formal QA so it might be some time before it is released."

Given that this appears to be an issue with multiple printers, it could be a little while before all of them are updated.  However at least Samsung is aware of the issue and will be fixing it eventually.

dimd...@gmail.com

May 4, 2014, 6:24:17 AM5/4/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, kmin...@gmail.com, webm...@khorassan.de
Hi,

Same problem with my new Samsung Xpress M2022W

mi...@sowbug.com

May 4, 2014, 12:27:45 PM5/4/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com, kevinsil...@gmail.com
There is a firmware update for the M2825DW dated May 3, 2014 on the Samsung website. The notes say it fixes the Cloud Print issue. Unfortunately, someone at Samsung with a dark sense of humor decided the firmware updater should be a Windows executable, so those of us with Chromebooks (or Linux, or OSX) can't use it. Given that the target of the fix is Google Cloud Print users, I have to believe a substantial number of affected users won't be able to install this firmware.

Michele Pradella

May 4, 2014, 3:15:52 PM5/4/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Windows executable??!! 0_o really funny and it's not the 1st of April... I hope they add alternative upgrade... Anyway I have the same issue with m2022w...always offline. Wait for my windows executable :)

pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com

May 4, 2014, 8:20:23 PM5/4/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com, kevinsil...@gmail.com, mi...@sowbug.com
I did discover there is sort of a work around for this problem.  I noticed Samsung's Windows firmware updater, when it is run, will extract the actual firmware file to a temporary folder.  You can then grab it, transfer the file to a Chromebook and use the Samsung SyncThru Web Service to actually install the update.  This can be done as follows:

1) On any Windows machine, download the zip file containing the firmware update files from the Samsung site.  In the case of the SL-M2825DW it should be here:

2) From the archive, extract the file M262x282x_V3.00.01.20_GCP.exe (or whatever the exe is named for your printer).

3) On the Windows machine, run the file M262x282x_V3.00.01.20_GCP.exe.

4) It will pop up a dialog box asking if you want to update the firmware via USB or over the network.  Select the "Network Connected Printer" button.

5) This will pop up a dialog box asking you to find the printer.  Ignore the instructions and instead just look in the middle of the dialog box where the path to the extracted firmware is located.  This should be something like the following:

C:\DOCUME~1\xxxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\M262x282x_V3.00.01.20_GCP.hd

6) Navigate to this folder and transfer the file M262x282x_V3.00.01.20_GCP.hd to your chromebook (via a flashdrive, email, Google Drive, whatever).

7) Close or Exit the Samsung firmware update program (the exe).

8) On your Chromebook (which presumably will be connected to the same network as the printer), connect and log into the SyncThru Web Service.

9) Select the "Maintenance" tab.

10) Select the "Upgrade Wizard" button.

11) A dialog box will pop up and ask you to select the firmware file.  Use the Chromebook file manager to locate the firmware file and follow the instructions to update the firmware.

This isn't a perfect solution, but it at least avoids having to drag out a Windows machine and connect it directly to the printer (or the printers network) just to do a firmware upgrade.  I just finished doing this for my printer.  The new update seems to work, but I plan to give it a few days before I will say for sure.

mi...@sowbug.com

May 6, 2014, 12:01:10 AM5/6/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, pe...@kleinschmidtsurveying.com, kevinsil...@gmail.com, mi...@sowbug.com
Cool. Can you check the md5sum of the file you found? I put what I found here:

and the md5sum is fcb33b53af189b47911bf41c2a21d8df.

I'll take it down after a while, or once Samsung issues a format that Chromebook/Linux/OSX users can use.

allison....@gmail.com

May 9, 2014, 11:43:20 AM5/9/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Hi - I have a new Acer Chromebook and I am having a hard time printing to a Brother HL-2270DW printer.  I have found that if I use my old laptop to "wake-up" the printer, then the printer works for the Chromebook.  I don't need to print anything from the old laptop, just turn it on.  Once the old laptop is on and connected via WiFi, the Chromebook can connect to the printer.  Is there a way to wake-up the printer without turning on another laptop? I tried to use my phone to connect to the printer, but it must use a cloud connection as well.

Thanks,
Allison

eclectic

May 9, 2014, 12:10:52 PM5/9/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr, allison....@gmail.com
Make sure you added the printer via gmail (not through your old laptop). The printer has its own IP and you need to add it by registering it to your gmail account. See http://download.brother.com/welcome/doc003013/cv_mfc4510dw_eng_gcp_b.pdf  page 4

If you added the printer using your laptop, it will be recognized as a Classic printer and will be offline unless you turn on your laptop.

Hope this helps.

Michele Pradella

May 10, 2014, 6:03:49 AM5/10/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Today I retry to register my Samsung m2022w and now I see it online and I can print without upgrade firmare. Perhaps Google fixed something

Dario Di Marino

May 10, 2014, 7:41:21 AM5/10/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I agree, google have done something, after a new registration also my Samsung m2022w works.
I'll see tomorrow if it returns online without repeat another registration.

Today I retry to register my Samsung m2022w and now I see it online and I can print without upgrade firmare. Perhaps Google fixed something

al...@ciociola.me

May 10, 2014, 10:05:27 AM5/10/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, dimd...@gmail.com
guys how do you register the samsung Samsung m2022w ?

thanks

Michele Pradella

May 10, 2014, 10:31:09 AM5/10/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

From the Web page of the printer, login, network settings, Google Cloud print

al...@ciociola.me

May 11, 2014, 11:51:35 AM5/11/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
that's my point ... web page is like My_router_ip/sw/something ?

cause i can't see the printer connected to my network....basically can't find it so i don't know how to enter...

tx

Dario Di Marino

May 11, 2014, 12:31:33 PM5/11/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

Use CD, install printer software and follow instructions

fordf...@gmail.com

ky...@dakotags.com

May 19, 2014, 3:32:25 AM5/19/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
My cloud printer SOMETIMES works, but I might get what I sent off of my phone a day later.  I'm still waiting for a task sent yesterday which is still queued.
I can print from anything else and  works.

rotar...@gmail.com

May 19, 2014, 2:31:07 PM5/19/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Canon mg6320 owner here as well. Printer works fine if printing jobs straight from wireless or wired connection

But with gcp as the routing factor it always stop working the next day.

Now on my canon there is a setting in the Web services that you can manually force the gcp to reconnect but I find it pain in the ass

Will try the drx setting as suggested a few post back

JimmyD

May 21, 2014, 1:39:50 PM5/21/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, des...@gmail.com, fordf...@gmail.com
I have a Canon MX922 and have been having the same problem, being Offline.  The printer is wired directly to a router.  I tried the "Disable Wired LAN DRX" setting, and it made my printer show up as online.  So that is promising.  Thanks for the tip.  What does DRX actually do or stand for?

in...@goodlifetea.com

May 27, 2014, 8:24:25 PM5/27/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Νίκος Παπουτσής, ad...@denied.gr
Using a epson xp410.  ITs hooked to a laptop.  The laptop is USB connected to printer and works fine. Both laptop and chromebook are attached to wireless router.  My chomebook show printer offline

I turned off all the devices and restarted them.  I put my chrome book on Verizon 4G LTE mobile hotspot and home wireless network but sitll offline.

This is pretty frustrating.  I am low tech, so the previous posts are over my head.

Is there any reset button? BTW the network I use is open and I do not have access to the router,

Thanks

fordf...@gmail.com

May 28, 2014, 10:34:02 AM5/28/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, des...@gmail.com, fordf...@gmail.com
Well, after a little time of testing the system out in different configurations, Low and behold after a day I go to print and the printer says it is offline in Google Cloud Print. I thought that disabling the DRX setting would fix it, but I guess not. I also tried the same setting and hooking the printer up via wired LAN and the same scenario. Looks like I will be calling Canon support again. Sorry folks, though we had it.
Message has been deleted

Good Life Tea

May 28, 2014, 10:10:30 PM5/28/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

My printer is back online this morning.  Its more mysterious than the Vatican and miraculous when it works.  Perhaps google cloud is a faith based app, cuz it resides in the cloud.  Faith or science? Someone enlighten me.

ryan.j....@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2014, 3:55:49 PM7/7/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, in...@goodlifetea.com
I think this is still an issue. I recently set up a few Chromebooks for my office, and added the office printer (a "classic" printer) to the laptops through Google Cloud Print. Now the printer is showing as offline on each of the laptops and the other accounts I added the printer to.

As others have suggested, I think the problem comes about when the printer goes to sleep.

Good Life Tea

Jul 7, 2014, 4:33:52 PM7/7/14
to ryan.j....@gmail.com, gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I spoke to Epson and they said its all google. They were no help in getting it to wake up.  But it did wake up an reconnect all on it own.  Very weird.  I have not had a problem since May.
--
Robert OBrien

Like Us on FaceBook

User

Jul 8, 2014, 2:46:03 AM7/8/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr
Google Cloud Print for my CLX-3305FW wasnt working (continually showing it as offline), however the firmware update (2014.06.05) has fixed that!

Message has been deleted

hem...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2014, 4:41:19 PM7/17/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr
I just ran into this problem... it was working fine this morning and now, both of my printers are showing offline..?? I did nothing, downloaded nothing.  I can print directly from a document, ie word, pdf, etc, but a document opened on a chrome tab does not print, shows offline, help please!

Thanks

Tickmc

Jul 18, 2014, 2:06:21 AM7/18/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr, hem...@gmail.com
Guys,

For all those still experiencing this, please see the following:

- Did this work before and it disappeared?
- What printer?  (Was your printer connected using the Connector in Chrome, or (if HP) the HP ePrint integration?

Please feedback the above via Alt + Shift + I in your Chromebook or Chrome Menu > Report and issue in your Chrome browser. You can include a link to your forum post if you like.

- Mike

zionan...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2014, 5:31:33 PM7/19/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr, hem...@gmail.com
I had this problem, but it resolved itself once I realized that chrome has to be actually running on the computer you use to set up the printer.  I thought once the printer was set up with Cloud Print it would be good to go, but it seems that Cloud Print uses chrome (running on the other computer) as a proxy to send the info to the printer.  It's kind of a PITA but at least I can print again!

Tickmc

Jul 20, 2014, 12:59:02 AM7/20/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr, hem...@gmail.com, zionan...@gmail.com
Zionan,

That is not strictly true, or it is only true for non-Google Cloud Printers. For those, there is not built-int printer server so you need to use a PC (or whatever) to act as one. If your printer is GCP-compatible it can work standalone.

- Mike

blro...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2014, 9:06:43 PM7/27/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr
I came here with the same problem.  Printer always showing offline.   Disabling the Adblock Plus chrome extension allows the printer to stay Online!!! Thanks!

ryan.j....@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2014, 10:09:27 PM7/27/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr, blro...@gmail.com
Interesting. I also have Adblock Plus installed on both the computer I used to facilitate connecting the "classic" printer to the Chromebooks and on the Chromebooks themselves.

1. Do you have to disable Adblock Plus on the Chrome OS computer, or on the computer used to set up the cloud printer?
2. Any luck adblocking with other issues with another ad blocking extension? (I really like blocking ads...)

Ryan

epwil...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2014, 2:46:28 PM7/28/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr
if you're using a classic printer, make sure the Windows or Mac computer connected to the printer is also turned on and you're logged in to the Windows or Mac user account that was used to set up Google Cloud Print.
this was in the tips section of google support cloud print.
so i guess if you have a classic printer you always have to have you laptop you connected to on:(

epwil...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2014, 2:47:48 PM7/28/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr

looweez1948

Aug 6, 2014, 2:51:27 PM8/6/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr
We have 2 Acer Chromebooks and 2 HP Deskjet printers ( 3050 and 2540)  I am not tech-savvy so it took a lot of research and sweat equity to set both the printers up to print via the cloud.  I used my desktop with windows 7 to do this.  Yay both printers worked for the chromebooks for a few months probably.  Now neither of them do, they both show the printers are offline.  However, I still can print from both printers wirelessly through my desktop.  so they are definitely online.  I have read all the posts and nobody seems to have an answer!  I thought this chrome OS was the answer for me, because windows 8 is horrible, but I have made a big investment (for me

kev.u...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2014, 11:51:38 PM8/10/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr
Same problem here, with a cloud-ready printer, the Brother DCP-J105. It works for a couple of hours after I re-register, but stops working after a day. They sold this printer advertising cloud-ready but apparently I wasted my money...

redma...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2014, 1:22:08 PM8/12/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr
Hi Gang,

For us, the problem ended up being openDNS blocking chat services.  After making sure the server could get to talk.google.com, and unchecking the general category "chat", we were able to see the printer as showing up online.

Hope that helps someone

~Jamie

looweez1948

Aug 12, 2014, 4:11:19 PM8/12/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr, redma...@gmail.com
Remember I said I was not tech-savvy, and this went right over my head.  Tried to learn about it..Is openDNS something you have to download or is it already there on Chrome OS? If it's there, how can it be blocking chat if I regularly use Hangouts?  Would appreciate further instruction thanks!

Jamie Clare

Aug 12, 2014, 6:04:11 PM8/12/14
to looweez1948, gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr
openDNS is a service you can subscribe to.  Basically, the way it works is, you sign up for the service and change your DNS settings on the server to the ones provided by the service.  What the service does is limit the content that users can view/access from a web browser or other network function.  An example of this would be to block children from accessing sites that they shouldn't be (porn/games/chat).  In our case, chat was blocked, and the site talk.google.com was in that category.  If you haven't configured this and you are the network administrator than this solution may not apply to you.  I would also disable windows firewall, any antivirus firewall, etc TEMPORARILY to find the culprit and make the appropriate changes.

Brian Roberts

Aug 12, 2014, 6:16:22 PM8/12/14
to ryan.j....@gmail.com, ad...@nils.gr, ad...@denied.gr, gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

The strange part is that my printer was cloud enabled.   It seems like Chrome acting as a client would not work if adblock was on when I registered the printer.   Since then I re-enabled adblock and everything seems to be working fine.

siddhar...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2014, 3:08:18 PM8/13/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, des...@gmail.com, fordf...@gmail.com
Thank you - I have similar problem with Canon MG4520. I'll try the DISABLE WIRELESS LAN DRX option and see if it helps.

H Sartaj

Aug 13, 2014, 3:11:18 PM8/13/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

This solution is temporary. I did this and it was offline again after sometime. It's a shame considering how many android/chrome OS devices I own. On the same printer my Air print from Apple devices never fails. As a Google fan, this is very disappointing.

Jamie Clare

Aug 13, 2014, 4:32:03 PM8/13/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

No we aren't specifically addressing chromeOS but chrome books on a network with DNS controlled by a windows server could still be affected.

MrWr...@live.ca

Aug 14, 2014, 11:37:03 PM8/14/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Same problem on cloud-ready MFC-J470DW... network printing is OK but cloud print goes offline. Restarting printer does not fix the issue. Seems to be losing registration because when I load the printers web GUI and check gcp it shows "Enabled" and "Unregistered", Registering it again temporarily resolves the issue.

bwr...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2014, 11:01:14 AM8/15/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, MrWr...@live.ca
Same problem here for MONTHS and Google has done ZERO to address this issue....pack of lames...

Rita Smith

Aug 16, 2014, 9:06:59 PM8/16/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
bought 2 chromebooks thinking I had a good idea.  Now I have 2 printers that are useless because I can't access them.  There is no support other than so-called experts who spout useless advice.  Print off the cloud? Your heads are in the cloud!  Someone has to step up and take ownership of this problem, and help us!

C. Andrew Warren

Aug 19, 2014, 1:10:15 PM8/19/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone - thanks for your feedback here, we're investigating to see if we can reproduce the experience you've highlighted here at Google. So far we haven't had much luck, but I need your help to add information.

Please reply with the following information (if you don't know the answer to a question, feel free to skip it):
  1. What is your printer make and model (e.g. Canon PIXMA MX850)?
  2. When did the issue started for you (when did the printer first showed up as offline)?
  3. Does your printer still print after it's showing as offline? If not, does it print again after you restart it?
  4. How long does it take the printer to show up as offline after you register it?
  5. Is your printer is connected using Chrome (https://support.google.com/cloudprint/answer/1686197?hl=en) or is connected to Cloud Print directly (you set it up from the printer itself)?
  6. Can we contact you to ask more in-depth questions as we investigate? (Please do not include your contact info in your public post)
Thanks again for your help while we're looking into this.

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:37:03 PM UTC-7, MrWr...@live.ca wrote:
Same problem on cloud-ready MFC-J470DW... network printing is OK but cloud print goes offline. Restarting printer does not fix the issue. Seems to be losing registration because when I load the printers web GUI and check gcp it shows "Enabled" and "Unregistered", Registering it again temporarily resolves the issue.

steve...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2014, 2:09:57 PM8/19/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I have a PIXMA5550 printer.  I bought it about 4 months ago at the same time I bought an HP Chromebook.

The cloud printing set up and worked fine for a few weeks then I kept getting the offline message.  I don't print that often so it wasn't too much of a problem initially, but a few weeks ago I re-installed the printer and again it worked fine for a while but it's now showing as offline.

The printer is connected via a LAN cable to a Windows 7 desktop PC, and it works fine with that - never had any problems whatsoever.  I set the cloud printing up directly through the printer screen and not through the PC, and the printer still shows it's connected to wireless network even though it's shown as offline in the cloud printing dialogue box.

I don't know how long it takes the printer to migrate to offline after being re-connected - my impression is that it crashed much quicker the 2nd time compared with the initial installation.

I'm quite happy for you to contact me directly especially if it helps solve the problem, which sounds pretty universal judging by the number of previous posts!

Steve

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:10:15 PM UTC+1, C. Andrew Warren wrote:
[...]

Ewan Watson

Aug 19, 2014, 5:09:31 PM8/19/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

1. Canon pixma 926

2. As in ever? This program has existed for as long as I've had the printer.

3.it does through wifi on the local network, not through cloud print. Yes it does work after restart.

4. A couple of hours.

5.cloud print directly - the printer printed a link which registered it to an account without any connection to chrome.

6.yes.

MrWr...@live.ca

Aug 19, 2014, 6:14:24 PM8/19/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
1. Printer model: Brother MFC-J470DW

2. Issue started on initial setup

3. Printer does not print when showing offline. Accessing CloudPrint via the printers web interface the service shows "Unregistered" and will not print until registered again. Any documents in the queue do not print upon re-registering the device.

4. The printer goes offline after a few hours. Have not timed it yet.

5. Printer is not connected via chrome. The device has been directly configured via its web interface.

6. OK to contact me for additional information.

Attempting to access the printer via Brother iPrint&Scan displays "No Printer Found" and "You mus register your printer with Google Cloud Print."

Upon re-registering printer a new connection is created and both the old and new registration along with their individual queues can be seen on the cloud print management pages. Seems that when this issue occurs, Cloud Print totally forgets that it ever existed!

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 11:10:15 UTC-6, C. Andrew Warren wrote:
[...]

mmclo...@pca.ac.uk

Aug 20, 2014, 3:38:49 AM8/20/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
C. Andrew Warren,

Thanks for looking into this.

What is your printer make and model (e.g. Canon PIXMA MX850)? Canon MX920
When did the issue started for you (when did the printer first showed up as offline)? From date purchased. Offline status appears after around 24 hours of not being used.
Does your printer still print after it's showing as offline? If not, does it print again after you restart it? No. Yes (or Menu > restart Cloud services).
How long does it take the printer to show up as offline after you register it? 24 hours.
Is your printer is connected using Chrome (https://support.google.com/cloudprint/answer/1686197?hl=en) or is connected to Cloud Print directly (you set it up from the printer itself)? The latter.
Can we contact you to ask more in-depth questions as we investigate? (Please do not include your contact info in your public post) Please do.

- Mike

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 18:10:15 UTC+1, C. Andrew Warren wrote:
[...]

The views or opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Plymouth College of Art. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify the sender.

Rita Smith

Aug 20, 2014, 10:16:55 AM8/20/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I have HP deskjets 2540 and 3050.  Both of them are on my network and both of them work with my desktop.  Funny thing, they both showed online and I printed something yesterday.  Now, they're showing offline again sighhhhhh.  Don't know what I did to get them working so I could reproduce my steps.  Frustrating

mmclo...@pca.ac.uk

Aug 20, 2014, 10:33:02 AM8/20/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Rita,

HP cloud printers work in a different way - they go via HP's own servers. Next time it happens, you should go to www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter and check your printer queue there is a-ok.

- Mike

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM, C. Andrew Warren <cawa...@google.com> wrote:
[...]

Rita Smith

Aug 20, 2014, 10:33:37 PM8/20/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
these aren't cloud printers.  They are classic printers and were a real challenge for me to connect up, especially since one was for hubby and I had to set it up and register it on my desktop.  The solution was to grant him permission to use (sounds simple but it took me a while to figure it out lol) Anyways, I got them both working for a while, then they went offline and here we go

It is loading more messages.