Canon "i-SENSYS MF8580Cdw" Google Cloud Print will not work

stefan.h...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2014, 8:16:08 AM3/23/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I hope someone can help me here. The Canon support is unfortunately completely incompetent.

Whenever I want to add my printer Canon "i-SENSYS MF8580Cdw" to Google Cloud Print this tells me that I need to install a CA certificate. On the device, although some certificates are installed, but probably not the right to connect with Cloud Print.

The Canon Support pushes the problem off to Google. Unfortunately, I find no more appropriate contact person as here.

However, I must confess, it has worked before, the next day All thing no more. The latest firmware is installed on the device!

Thank you very much for the help.

greeting

Stefan

in...@saasagileinc.com

May 29, 2014, 8:19:34 PM5/29/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I have the same issue here.  Have you found a solution?

Stefan Hintermayr

May 30, 2014, 1:21:04 AM5/30/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

sorry, no solution...

I had an Mail from the German Support - but it won't work... A contact to Google i didn't find... :-( So i write in this forum, but no answer...

Sehr geehrter Herr ________,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage bei unserem Support.

Gerne beantworten wir Ihre Anfrage bzgl. Ihres i-SENSYS MF8580Cdw.

Bedauerlicherweise können wir das von Ihnen beschriebene Phänomen nicht reproduzieren. Darüber hinaus berichten uns viele unserer Kunden nicht über das von Ihnen geschilderte Phänomen, sodass wir an dieser Stelle ein generelles Problem entsprechend ausschließen können.

Anhand des von Ihnen beschriebenen Sachverhalts bzgl. des CA-Zertifikats, handelt es sich um ein Problem seitens Google und nicht seitens des Gerätes.

Dieses Problem konnte ein Kunde lösen, indem er am MF8580Cdw die Funktion „Cloud Druck Ein/Aus“ mehrfach aktiviert und deaktiviert hat und das Gerät entsprechend auch neu gestartet hat, bis die Zertifikatsmeldung nicht mehr erschienen ist.

Unter folgendem Link können Sie auch ein Firmware Update ausführen, sofern nötig:

http://www.canon.de/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/Laser/LaserBase_MF_series/i-SENSYS_MF8580Cdw.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:83-1124708&page=1&type=download

Sollten Sie weiterhin Schwierigkeiten haben, wäre eine Kontaktaufnahme mit Google ratsam.

Wir hoffen, dass diese Informationen für Sie hilfreich waren und unsere Lösungsansätze zur Lösung führen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

C. Sirna

Canon Services & Support

Telefonischer Helpdesk:

Tel.: 069 / 29 99 36 80
Geschäftszeiten: Montag bis Freitag, 9:00 bis 17:00 Uhr

Online Support

Canon Deutschland GmbH
Europark Fichtenhain A10
47807 Krefeld

kdLucas

Jun 2, 2014, 10:46:22 AM6/2/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I heard that this problem may be present if the time in the printer is not set correctly. Could you check the time and date settings for this printer?

Kelly

Liberating one printer at a time...
kdLucas

Stefan Hintermayr

Jun 2, 2014, 11:21:06 AM6/2/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

good idea, but my time is correct. Anyway, here in Germany. In addition, I get the time so my NTP server.

regards
Stefan

Inline-Bild 1

Inline-Bild 2

kdLucas

Sep 2, 2014, 4:42:55 PM9/2/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
We have figured out why the error was occurring, and are pushing a change that should resolve this.

Kelly

Liberating one printer at a time...
kdLucas

srira...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2014, 10:42:25 PM11/24/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, kdl...@google.com
Has this been resolved? I have a similar issue, however receive an error "Failed to acquire information for registration." and that a "Communication Error Occurred" when I try to register my Canon MF8580Cdw through the Remote UI.

Stefan Hintermayr

Nov 25, 2014, 2:25:54 AM11/25/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
hello,

as far as I know, no. I then removed the individual NTP server and since then it goes.

greeting
Stefan

geb...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2014, 4:40:24 PM12/13/14
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, kdl...@google.com
What is the solution to the problem. I have the same issue with the MF8280C printer. It used to work fine with Google Cloud Print, but now it does not.

helen....@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2015, 6:20:46 PM1/2/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I purchased this printer several days ago, when I tried to setup Google Cloud Print, it shows the same thing as you experienced.
The Canon Support pushes the problem off to Google and internet provider's router.

anyone could help this out?

Thanks

Stefan Hintermayr

Jan 3, 2015, 3:25:26 AM1/3/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Sorry no realy, my Problem was solved as i deletet my personal NTP Server parameter...

Best regards

Stefan

joakim.c...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2015, 5:24:52 AM1/19/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, helen....@gmail.com
Hi.

Maybe you already solved it, but here are some clues anyway.
I got the same problem and spent some time troubleshooting it. Eventually two changes in the configuration did the trick;
- I changed the DNS address which was incorrectly set (of some reason not updated by DHCP)
- I changed the date/time set to current time.

After this changes it immediately worked.

Rgs, Joakim

fernando...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2015, 1:58:18 AM3/2/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, helen....@gmail.com
Hello
I have the same problem and I wonder if you resolved and that is what achievement

Thanks

nancy.a...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2015, 11:24:51 AM3/25/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
same here.  Failed to acquire information for registration.

when i used remote UI, it says Install a CA certificate.

any solution?

Stefan Hintermayr

Mar 26, 2015, 4:15:32 AM3/26/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, no, I have the custom NTP server cleared and started the printer, then went 1a registration and since then I have no more problems ...

petr...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2015, 8:28:40 AM4/5/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I set the ISP DNS settings to the printer (instead of my router DNS) and disabled the IPv6. I think the DNS settings did fix the problem.
Message has been deleted

jwmonr...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2015, 5:54:38 PM4/20/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, jwmonr...@gmail.com

Steps

1. De-register cloud print if previously registered.
2. Turn off, then back on, Cloud Print via the Remote UI (Login as Admin, navigate to Network Settings - Cloud Print Settings)
3. Navigate to Network Settings - TCP/IP Settings - SSL Settngs and register the SSL cert for the MF8280cw (if not already done)
4. Power Cycle Printer via the On/Off Switch
5. Log into Remote UI as Admin
6. Navigate to Network Settings - Cloud Print Settings and attempt registration again

If that fails, and you have IP Filtering for IPv4 on (IPv6 should be on and set to reject, unless you utilize IPv6 in your network; this is for security reasons), set it to off temporarily, power cycle printer, and attempt registration again.

Please be aware, this is not a problem on Google's end and is an issue with the settings on the printer.  If you can't find the setting causing the issue, and/or business support cannot help you narrow down the issue, backup your settings via the Remote UI (both for the printer, as well as information from the Address Book), and reset the printer settings to factory default.  This will solve the issue, albeit you will have to manually figure out afterwards, through trial and error, what setting it was that caused the issue since restoring your printer settings is likely to cause the issue to re-occur until you narrow down the problem setting(s).

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 4:30:03 PM UTC-5, jwmonr...@gmail.com wrote:
I have an ImageClass MF8280cw, which is the US version, and this may or may not help some, but should help others...

I was able to register cloud print successfully last week, then today it presented an error that it couldn't connect to the server.  After de-registering and then re-registering, I received the "failed to acquire information for registration" error.

After quite a few failures, I thought the outbound IP filters I set up may have been the issue, so I disabled it.  After a few more failures, I decided to power cycle the printer (switch off, wait until all lights shut off, switch on), and this allowed for the weblink to be generated in order to register the printer with cloud print.

It should also be mentioned SSL needs to be set and generated for the printer (Admin login - Network Settings - TCP/IP Settings - SSL Settings).  I assume this is so that all information sent to the printer while printing over the internet is encrypted with SSL.

jwmonr...@gmail.com

Ryan Flanagan

Aug 23, 2015, 11:27:05 AM8/23/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
I have the North American version of said printer and get the same error. Do I really need to get a CA Certificate? I don't know how to get one.

James Monroe

Aug 23, 2015, 1:02:39 PM8/23/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Read the reply above, which explains the process
Message has been deleted

Ryan Flanagan

Aug 23, 2015, 5:01:58 PM8/23/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I've tried step 3 but I don't see such default CA certificate. I've never gotten it to work despite multiple power cycles in fact.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

James Monroe

Aug 23, 2015, 6:39:19 PM8/23/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
To generate the SSL Cert go to: Settings/Registration: System Settings: Security Settings > Key and Certificate Settings > Generate Key

Due to the cert being used to encrypt communications over WAN, generate it with SHA256 and 2048bit
  • 1024bit is crackable, while 2048bit is not and will remain uncrackable until at least 2030
    • There is such a minute difference in overhead for 2048 vs 1024, it's negligible and does not affect performance
  • SHA1 is also no longer secure, so SHA2 should always be utilized
    • SHA2 hashes are the SHA256, SHA384, and SHA512 options

Once done, redo step three and you should be good to go :)
  • Also, you can import your own custom SSL cert for the printer to use.  For example, I run multiple VPN servers on my home server and I used the certificate authority for one to generate the SSL for the printer, as I prefer to keep certs organized.  If anyone wishes to create their own CA to issue certs, you can do so via OpenSSL (OpenVPN for Windows and *nix based OSs come with OpenSSL and the tools needed to generate SSL certs)

David Crowther

Aug 28, 2015, 9:23:50 AM8/28/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
I got my father a Chromebook and got rid of his laptop last year. I got him this printer so he would be able to print at home without a PC. Cloud print worked fine until about 2 weeks ago.

After spending a couple hours last night trying the fixes mentioned here and other place, I still cannot print.

I was able to generate a certificate and verify it. When I try to install it, I am asked for a path on the Chromebook where the certificate is located. This is where I get lost.

I finally broke down and called Canon last night. They had me double-check my date and time (which was the first thing I did a few hours earlier). After that they admitted that Google Cloud Print is down and it is on Google's end. The Canon rep couldn't tell me when this would be fixed and offered no way of finding out when it would be fixed. She said, "contact Google". Not very good product support but at least they admitted they know of the problem.

Any help would greatly be appreciated as using Cloud Print is the only way my father can print something out at home.

Dave

John Hand

Sep 2, 2015, 12:06:15 AM9/2/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
So after working great for 8 months my printer suddenly refused to talk to cloudprint.  I tried all the unregistering and spent *hours* farting around with certificates, ssl settings, etc. only to finally set the time to the *wrong* time intentionally and then back again...  Suddenly works!  I suspect somewhere the time was wrong under the hood and resetting it to the wrong time then correcting it somehow shook things loose.  Makes almost no sense I realize. <shakes fist> I want 3 hours back!  I suppose at least I didn't waste another few hours fighting though tiers of Canon support only to get the useless advice below.

Bottom line is that cloudprint should, and does not require any setting of SSL or certificate creation/registration.  It worked out of the box 8 months ago.  The only reason it stopped was some sort of glitch in the time.  Horribly confusing part is that the time can look right on the interface but somewhere it needs to be reset or maybe set a minute slow, or something.

James Monroe

Sep 2, 2015, 12:25:26 AM9/2/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Cloudprint does require an assigned SSL cert to work... most machines have one set by default at the factory when the firmware is loaded.  As far as the time goes, it matters, and is extremely vital, to network communications, even more so when certificates are involved.  For a full understanding why, I would encourage you to research why time matters in networking.

  • However, to provide a simplified answer, when any device connects to a site with encryption enabled (in this case via SSL certs), multiple handshakes are done and public/private keys exchanged.  If the time between the server (Google Cloud Print) and the client (your printer) is off by more than a few milliseconds, the connection will be refused to maintain the integrity (security) of the client, as well as the server.  To provide one example, packets arriving late and out of sync could be due to a MITM (Man In the Middle) attack, compromising all data sent and/or received.
  • While SSL certs are generally generated by default at the time of firmware flashing, I would encourage all to delete and recreate their SSL with at least 2048 and SHA256.  Anything less than either of those two is crackable, while both of those will remain uncrackable until at least 2030, if not much longer (at least 2050 for consumer electronics, possibly as early as the 2030s with top line supercomputers or quantum processors).  2048 vs 1024 only requires a few extra milliseconds to encrypt/decrypt so you will not see any noticeable performance hits.

NTP should be pushed to the printer from the router if the the printer isn't set up to pull from an NTP server.  If you live in the US, NIST's NTP servers are the recommended ones to utilize: IP: 129.6.15.30 Host: time.nist.gov  129.6.15.30 is the server I've found to be most reliable with less traffic being pushed to it at any given time (you can see which NIST NTP servers are down or experiencing heavy traffic by going to the host site time.nist.gov).
  • If you live outside the US, NIST's NTP servers can still be used, however if there's a closer server to the country you live in, it's recommended to try those ones first due to latency.
  • Also, please be aware Cloud Print is not LAN [your home network/intranet] wireless printing, but WAN [the public internet] wireless printing.  This means that even if both you and the printer are connected on the same LAN, anything sent to Cloud Print will be sent to Google's Cloud Print servers over WAN, then forwarded to the specified Cloud Print printer.  I believe Cloud Print printers even pop up a notification window informing the end user something to that effect.

James Monroe

Sep 2, 2015, 1:00:58 AM9/2/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I've never used Chromium OS, however what you're describing sounds like you generated a CA and SSL cert within Chromium and are trying to upload it to the printer.  You can do it that way, but I'm guessing that's not what you were trying to do.
  • The printer should come with a CA (Certificate Authority) preinstalled and probably from VeriSign.  To register it, go to:
  • Once done, go to:
    • Settings/Registration: System Settings: Security Settings > Key and Certificate Settings > Registered Key and Certificate > Generate Key
      • Name the Key, select SHA256 & 2048, provide a start and end date and fill in the Common Name with a unique name
On the off chance your printer for some reason did not come with a CA, Canon should be able to email you one signed by a validated Certificate Authority such as VeriSign, Comodo, or others.... however, it's not necessary to have one signed by a validated CA, as you can generate your own via OpenSSL and EasyRSA.  The difference between creating your own self-signed CA and having one from a validated CA is the self-signed CA will throw a warning if used to enable and access your printer management page via HTTPS.  In Windows, you need to add your self-signed CA to your trusted root certificates within credential manager, which will add your self-signed CA as trusted.  You can do the same in *nix based OSes, however I'm not sure how to do so in Chromium.
  • If you or anyone need help creating a self-signed CA and generating their own SSL certs from that CA, I wrote this tutorial for OpenVPN on OpenWRT, and the encryption section walks you through how to create SSLs with OpenVPN by way of OpenSSL and EasyRSA.  The same editing would apply on Windows, though the steps are slightly different with OpenVPN for Windows.  I'm sure you can download OpenSSL and EasyRSA separately, however I've never needed to so I'd recommend checking out their respective websites if you'd prefer that route.  I personally recommend simply downloading OpenVPN since it includes all the tools you need in one package.

rreu...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2015, 2:07:18 AM9/2/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Unfortunately as an IT Professional I have to disagree. I own this printer in question and has experienced the same problem for quite a few quarters, to the point that I turned off Google cloud print because the half-baked tech support solutions were less than satisfying. I've been involved in IT professionally since 1994, not that this factoid should matter. Google's follow-thru has always been casual, to say the least. This ongoing thread is evident of that.

I know how to, and have repeatedly regenerated certificates. I will not go below 2048 bit length. I also have issued certificates from an internal CA with less results.I also have used an external CA. Same result. Don't be surprised when they all don't work consistently.

I know how to, and have repeatedly tried to reset the time. I provide both NTP and SNTP services on our internal multi-vlan routable network. I have even located both the printer and NTP server on the same vlan as the end client. I have also tried a SNTP server. Canon and Google fail without prejudice to their layer 3 location.

As near as I can tell while I can resolve the problem in the short term it seems that a time discrepancy between the Google print cloud servers and the Canon printer is to blame for the issue. It almost appears that NTP updates are not properly receive by the Canon device, though I cannot rule out Google's less than adequate recognition of legitimate protocol requests.

In addition to a local stratum 2 source, I've tried a remote NTP service provided from stratum 2 servers via us.pool.ntp.org. I've tried Microsoft. I've tried Google.

If I can speak frankly it's quite apparent that Google and Canon have no interest in resolving the issue, it's much cheaper for them to screw over their mutual customers. Surely we would have had a firmware update and web service update by now otherwise, one that respects NTP with an acceptable skew rate.

The problem is with the time synchronization. Neither vendor is willing to resolve it. As much as I enjoyed (past tense) the convergence of Canon and Google, I can only suggest given both organization's lack of support that the responsible thing to do is select other options, it is clear from their response that our collective complaints about advertised functionality is not meaningful to their business operations.

Regards,

Richard Reuling
President
Walker IT Group, LLC
Newark, Delaware

On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 1:00:58 AM UTC-4, James Monroe wrote:
I've never used Chromium OS, however what you're describing sounds like you generated a CA and SSL cert within Chromium and are trying to upload it to the printer.  You can do it that way, but I'm guessing that's not what you were trying to do.
  • The printer should come with a CA (Certificate Authority) preinstalled and probably from VeriSign.  To register it, go to:
  • Once done, go to:
    • Settings/Registration: System Settings: Security Settings > Key and Certificate Settings > Registered Key and Certificate > Generate Key
      • Name the Key, select SHA256 & 2048, provide a start and end date and fill in the Common Name with a unique name
On the off chance your printer for some reason did not come with a CA, Canon should be able to email you one signed by a validated Certificate Authority such as VeriSign, Comodo, or others.... however, it's not necessary to have one signed by a validated CA, as you can generate your own via OpenSSL and EasyRSA.  The difference between creating your own self-signed CA and having one from a validated CA is the self-signed CA will through a warning if used to enable and access your printer management page via HTTPS.  In Windows, you need to add your self-signed CA to your trusted root certificates within credential manager, which will add your self-signed CA as trusted.  You can do the same in *nix based OSes, however I'm not sure how to do so in Chromium.

James Monroe

Sep 2, 2015, 3:22:49 AM9/2/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Please be aware, the printer itself having a problem keeping it's internal clock in sync is NOT an issue with Cloud Print.... Cloud Print is simply a symptom of the actual problem - the printer's internal clock is malfunctioning.
  • For example, if this same time sync issue was occurring on a PC, phone, or tablet, you wouldn't be able to log into any account online that uses encryption, from bank account logins to email services.

While I do understand the frustration that must occur due to constant issues, I think there's been some miscommunication by vendors about Google Cloud Print or with consumer perceptions about it...
  • While it is actively maintained to a degree by Google, it's only ever been a beta project.
  • It's offered for free by Google and it wasn't until fairly recently within the last two years or so that Google released their own integration software.  Prior to this, you had to install an app made by an individual who developed an interface app (i.e. Google came up with the service, but didn't follow it through with a way to connect to it themselves).  There's also a possibility Google simply bought the coding from the individual dev.
  • Cloud Print, as a service, is something I've never had an issue with; and while I own both the 8280 and 8380, I've only used the integrated Cloud Print on the 8280 a handful of times with no issues.  I do however utilize Cloud Print through the local printers I have registered on Cloud Print and have never had an issue utilizing it in legacy mode (i.e.using a printer that isn't cloud print ready)
To address the NTP issue:
  • Have you tried a hard factory reset of the printer?
    • Create a backup of the settings via export, return everything to factory defaults, and leave it unplugged for ~15 minutes with the power switch to on for the memory to clear... unless there's an actual way to fully discharge all capacitors via hard buttons on the printer itself once it's unplugged.
  • Once the printer is powered back up, only set up cloud print and test it over a day or two to see if the printer is losing sync of time.  If so, Canon should be able to troubleshoot that specific problem individually.
  • It might provide better results to call support specifically about the NTP sync issue and not mention Cloud Print, and at most, only state the fault of the printer's internal clock is causing such a time difference, logins requiring encryption, such as Cloud Print, are failing because of the time mismatch due to the printer's internal clock malfunctioning.  While a difference of a few milliseconds is normal, a repeatable occurring issue with the internal clock is indicative of larger issue with the printer itself or it's firmware.
    • If the hard factory reset doesn't solve it, I'd be curious to find out if a prior firmware version solves it and/or if Canon could provide a debugging version of the firmware, which will log everything for you to email to them when it occurs again.
    • If you're not speaking with Business Tech Support, request to as you should be since it's an ImageClass,

Vegard Langås

Sep 10, 2015, 3:51:37 AM9/10/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
I have been in talks with Canon support this summer, and I recently got access to a prerelease version of firmware v0391 for MF82XX. Applying this update fixed my issues with "Install CA-certificate.". The person I spoke with say the firmware is sceduled for public release next month.

James Monroe

Sep 10, 2015, 7:12:13 AM9/10/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Would you please provide a link to the fw so others with an internal clock issue can fix their issue as well?  Thanks! =]

Alexander Roe

Sep 12, 2015, 2:20:10 AM9/12/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Vegard, Can you post a copy of this firmware you were given?

Steve White

Oct 25, 2015, 2:54:08 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Like some of the others that have posted here, cloud print worked for me (or rather, my MF8580Cdw) when I first set it up. It worked flawlessy for "probably" about a year... then it stopped working and I played all of the games suggested, regenerating certificates, deregistering/reregistering, setting the clock, disabling/enabling the "default certificates", and somehow got it to work again for a while (not exactly sure how, but it seemed to be connected to the disable/enable of the default certificates)... as I said, it worked for a while... then stopped again... at which point I left it alone, and found that after about 10 days, the printer connected to cloud print overnight,  printed a few jobs that I had forgotten to delete, then stopped working again, then restarted by itself, then stopped again (I use a fixed IP for the printer, specified  on both the printer & router)....Very strange that it periodically decides to work?

Anyway, I decided to attack this problem again today... nothing worked (and, the printer has been restarted so often that I am in danger of wearing out the power switch), so I followed the suggestion to set up the printer as a "classic printer" & turned off the cloud print setting on the printer... Worked first time... will see how it goes, but it "seems" that this may be a viable woraround?

I have wasted a lot of time on this printer, I hope that the "workaround" is stable (cannot see why it shouldn't be as the cloud print functionality is moved away from Canons implementation).
This is probably a smarter, less painful solution for most people...
it did not take long to setup as a classic printer (I just had to uncheck some of the printer drivers to only leave the one that I wanted)

Hope this might help someone, and save some people from wasting a lot of time!

James Monroe

Oct 25, 2015, 3:06:42 PM10/25/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
Have you read the replies by me above?

More likely than not, the time on the printer is off, thereby causing encryption to fail.  Check and see if there's a firmware update available from Canon yet (you'll need the serial number off the back of the printer to access firmware on the canon device page).

If they haven't released an update yet, contact Canon Business Support and request the firmware Vegard Langås was provided with.  It's a bit irritating he posted what he did and then refused to reply back when asked several times to attach the firmware for other users.

While adding the printer as a classic printer is a workaround, it requires whatever device the printer is installed on and registered with Cloud Print to be connected to the LAN in order for it to work; versus the integrated option, which prints jobs as long as the printer itself has internet access.

Vegard Langås

Oct 25, 2015, 5:13:30 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
I am sorry. I was unaware of activity in this thread. As the firmware is Canons property am I abstaining from publishing it. I would recommend contacting Canon and urge them to release an updated firmware for your device. I will be contacting the person I got it from and urge him to get the firmware publicly released.

Steve White

Oct 25, 2015, 5:15:16 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
For info:
I checked for a firmware update today, and there was no new update available.
Due to the amount of time that the printer initially functioned on cloud print, I am a little suspicious that an earlier upgrade caused the clock problem??
Hard to say... but it worked perfectly for a long time.... there can be other factors that have changed.
Not too sure what you mean about the LAN issue?? The printer connects to the router via WiFi, the router connects to Internet. for the printer to respond to cloud print jobs, the router has to provide access to internet whether or not the printer is using the built in connection or not....Using the built in cloud print, it will not work if the LAN is not up....
Unless you mean local network printing? then I use the printer directly (installed drivers), not through cloud print.
So I did not have to change any configuration parameters, other than turning of cloud print on the printer..... no firewall changes, and so on....

Having said all of that, I agreee that the best solution would be to have a WORKING firmware update released by Canon.
But I see that reports of problems go back over a long time with no solution forthcoming (I also see comments for the same issue on other Canon printers).
If they have an apparently working firmware release, my guess is that they are either still testing it, or, they are getting rid of the new bugs that they probably introduced, or, they do not want to spend time fixing new bugs and so won't release it (perhaps I am too synical), but I have little faith when the problems have been there for so long).

Bottom line for me, is that both my wife and I often need to be able to send jobs to the printer when we are at home, and when we are away from home.
There is also some "smaller" requirement to print various types of documents directly from mobile devices.
Setting up cloud print in the way that I did, solved my issues. For a home network, I see this as a simple & practical solution.
In a business network, my solution may have some "undesirable" effects, but I would have still thought that they would be minor (opening port[s] on the firewall).
.
I guess that the next time I buy a printer, I will probably look at other manufacturers first,. and then research problems a little better that I did when I bought the MF8580Cdw.

James Monroe

Oct 25, 2015, 5:36:55 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
You do realize your reasoning is factually inaccurate right?  It's not an internal product and if you really knew what you were speaking to, you'd realize the EULA states it's not for internal use only (i.e. the only instance when freeware/firmware can not be passed from end user to end user).

To simply refuse to post it when you're well aware other users would benefit from it is not only selfish, it's asinine.

James Monroe

Oct 25, 2015, 5:49:31 PM10/25/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what you mean by "an earlier upgrade"... the issue you, and others in this thread, are experiencing is an internal clock failure within the firmware.  I asked if you had read my posts above for a reason, as they explain in detail why it is you're experiencing the problem you're experiencing.

You also have an inaccurate understanding of how the two cloud print options function... the classic option requires whatever device that has the printer drivers installed on to be connected to not only the internet, but the LAN the printer is apart of; versus the integrated cloud print option on printers, which doesn't require the middle device to be involved since the printer itself connects directly to cloud print's servers.

Classic Option

 Cloud Print Servers --> Router --> PC (with printer installed) --> Printer
  • In order for a document to be printed, it must first pass through the device which has the printer installed, while both devices are apart of the same LAN

Integrated Option

 Cloud Print Servers --> Router  --> Cloud Print Printer
  • With the integrated option, CloudPrint servers communicate directly with the printer itself, thereby negating the necessity for a middle device.

ri...@walkeritg.com

Oct 25, 2015, 5:54:08 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Well that degraded rapidly. Let's all take a step back and breathe.

I wouldn't post beta firmware, besides the fact that there's a section of the EULA concerning distribution (section 2) and export controls (section 5), it's just likely to confuse a lot of people.

If you cannot wait for a publicly available release, open a case with Canon referencing your serial number and send them a link to this thread. Ask them for a copy of the beta firmware. I'm doing so right now for my printer, from past experience they're reasonably responsive. I can update this thread when I hear back from them if people are interested to know if this approach is successful.

James Monroe

Oct 25, 2015, 5:56:56 PM10/25/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
The EULA would be very clear on this... however, I would encourage any calling Canon Support for the beta firmware to ask them directly if you can post a link to the firmware in this, or any other thread, where the problem being discussed is the internal clock failure... or whether posting the link is a violation of the EULA.

From what I know about firmware EULAs, they generally do not have restrictions on sharing amongst end users...  selling or claiming credit for, absolutely, but sharing, no. The reason why is quiet simple... to do so would mean individual 1 who has a copy of the firmware would be breaking the law by allowing individual 2 to use the firmware to update their product's firmware because they don't have internet access.  Not to mention, it wouldn't be logistically enforceable.

EULAs lay out very clear terms and freeware/firmware EULAs are generally not complicated, as it's against the owner's interests to do so.

Steve White

Oct 25, 2015, 6:56:31 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Criticize as much as you like....You seem to be in the mood to blow hot at anybody... thats your choice...
Yes I fully understand the issue with the clock... firmware updates update the firmware (strangely enough), So, a previous firmware update could have caused the problem... Reading is important....
Cloud printing is all about access to a printer..,. most users are just converned about printing... whether you like or don't like my solution, it is a viable solution for most users  , obviously not for you, but for many other people!
Anyway, I am done with this thread.... perhaps, the new firmware update will be available and fix all problems and everyone will live happily ever after.
Otherwise anyone who is struggling to fix CLOUD PRINTING has a viable option....or at the very least, more information to work from....
Please remember that these forums are about finding solutions, not trying to show you are superior to everyone else.

Vegard Langås

Oct 25, 2015, 7:04:22 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
I am sorry you feel that way. I included a question if I could redistribute it. If I get a positive response will I gladly do so.

James Monroe

Oct 25, 2015, 7:08:35 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
I wasn't criticizing you or anyone else, and I apologize for anything I said as coming across as such.

It could have come from a previous firmware update, however from the amount of users I've seen with the internal clock fault, combined with many experiencing issues out of the box or shortly after buying, I'm starting to suspect it's a bug that's existed for a while and possibly through many firmware iterations.  Since Canon hasn't released firmware that solves the issue, I suspect the fault rears it's head only in certain environments, or a substantial amount of users aren't using cloud print.  I think the former is more plausible, as it would also affect any type of encrypted communications to/from the printer inside of a corporate network.

As far as classic vs integrated, I wasn't saying one is better than the other, but to be aware that with classic printing it requires the PC the printer was registered with to be on the LAN with the printer.  A few users have set it up as a classic through cloud print and can't figure out why whatever they're printing away from home isn't getting sent to the printer, so it was only an fyi.

Steve White

Oct 25, 2015, 7:12:11 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Vegard, if you meant me, then sorry..... my comment was directed at James... he seems more interested in being superior than being constructive...
He should not assume that everyone is at the same technical level on all things....
Anyway........ my aim was to share my experience with this printer... in case it is useful to anyone... and I have done that....

Steve White

Oct 25, 2015, 7:14:52 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
James. please accept my apologies.... I understand that this problem is frustrating.....
As I said, it has cost me a lot of time, I perhaps misunderstood you a little......

James Monroe

Oct 25, 2015, 7:21:30 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers

I'm not sure how anything I said could be construed as "being more superior"... if you're referring to my use of "inaccurate", I use inaccurate instead of wrong because most take something directed at them with "wrong" in it as being personal or an opinion.  I used inaccurate in my reply because it appeared you had a factually inaccurate understanding of classic vs integrated:

"Not too sure what you mean about the LAN issue?? The printer connects to the router via WiFi, the router connects to Internet. for the printer to respond to cloud print jobs, the router has to provide access to internet whether or not the printer is using the built in connection or not....Using the built in cloud print, it will not work if the LAN is not up...."

If you're referring to my comment about reading my posts above, I asked because the information contained within those posts explained what the problem you were experiencing was, as well as how to solve it... none of which was hubristic or demeaning, and least of all talking down to you.

John Hand

Oct 25, 2015, 7:46:15 PM10/25/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Wow this thread really blew up!

James maybe if you could avoid being so reactionary and condescending it would go a long way towards the civility of the discussion.  Your statement that you weren't criticizing is disingenuous at best and at extreme odds with your earlier post:

To simply refuse to post it when you're well aware other users would benefit from it is not only selfish, it's asinine.

I think lambasting someone like that over their reticence to post beta firmware, sent directly to them, is pretty much textbook inflammatory criticism.  Never mind not likely to get them to risk reposting.

Now I think we can all agree that Canon should get off their asses and post some fixed, official firmware.  Then this thread could quietly die and we can forget all about it and get on with our lives.

James Monroe

Oct 25, 2015, 8:17:27 PM10/25/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
There was nothing condescending about anything I wrote, and if it's coming across as such, when I've already stated numerous times how I meant it, that says more about the reader than it does about the writer.

As far as the sentence you quoted:
  1. To not share beta firmware, especially when the EULA doesn't prohibit it, with other users experiencing the same issue, is selfish... especially when it doesn't appear there's going to be any publicly released firmware update for some time, since Canon doesn't appear to view this as a critical issue.
  2. It's also asinine to not do so, since it means other users, as Mr. White above pointed out, will waste substantial amounts of time looking for a fix that doesn't publicly exist yet.
While I appreciate the fact you disagree with my wording, simply because something is said quite blatantly does not indicate the author intended for it to be rude.  I figured since I, and another, has already asked Mr. Langas quite politely, perhaps a more blatant and direct reply was necessary, and while it wasn't intended to be rude, it was intended to be blunt and to the point.

With that being said, it would behoove you not to inject your personal biases into stating whether someone you've never met is being disingenuous, especially when that person has already indicated they were not.  I appreciate the fact inflection is lost within written communications, however more often than not, the way a reader interprets what's written usually says more about the reader than it does about the writer.

Vegard Langås

Oct 25, 2015, 9:37:25 PM10/25/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I hate feeding trollish descussions, but:

Copyright is implicit unless specified otherwise. I agree, copyright is selfish, that is why I generally support OSS/GPL initiatives, but you can't win them all.

Asinine is strong wording, I might not be an english expert, but wiktionary defines it as "ridiculously below average rationality". I think my reasoning is quite sound. The firmware is not mine to release, and the Canon representative I emailed with said it would be released this month. I can not vouch for its completeness or claim any warranty for it. This is Canons job, and they must be the ones fixing it.

I belive there is no other way to fix this than with a fixed firmware. People can stop looking for a fix, it exsist! They can send their dismay to Canon, and try to get access to the new firmware. If you don't get a fulfilling answer, keep at it! I did not get any way on my first emails.

And please stop bickering about who said what. Please keep on topic so people don't get flooded with bickering when all they want is a fix to Google Cloud print on their Canon printer.

David Crowther

Oct 27, 2015, 3:10:38 PM10/27/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
As I posted here a few months ago, I was trying to get cloud print working again for my father on his Chromebook.  After speaking today again with a Canon representative and searching some more forums, it looks like we're all out of luck.  I'm assuming the Imageclass MF8280CW also follows this release from Canon as it is older than the PIXMAs.

Deactivation of Google Cloud Print™ (GCP) Service on Specific Canon Printers [Added 01 September 2015]

Thank you for using Canon products.

Google has recently announced future planned changes to the server authentication method of their Google Cloud Print™ (GCP) service. An impact of these changes will be that specific Canon printers will no longer be able to support Google Cloud Print™ (GCP) because the printer firmware cannot accommodate these planned changes.  Once Google has applied their new authentication method, the products in question will no longer support Google Cloud Print™ (GCP) and the following error messages will display on affected products:

From what I have read elsewhere, it appears Google informed manufacturers back in 2013 that this authentication change would be taking place.  Canon decided not to address it at the time. Furthermore, they will not be addressing it in the future for printers that are only a few years old.  It doesn't feel good that I bought him a $500 printer less than 2 years ago that he cannot use unless he buys a laptop again.

David Crowther

Oct 27, 2015, 3:18:18 PM10/27/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Here is some more info:

Since the middle of June, 2015, a phenomenon has been seen where printer registration or printing cannot be performed in Google Cloud Print. It is due to change of the Google server’s authentication method.

Solution:
No measures are planned for the printer

To resolve the phenomenon, the printer firmware needs to be upgraded. However, the firmware upgrade cannot be performed due to the printer capabilities.

Workaround:

By connecting the printer to the internet using a PC, you can use Google Cloud Print without the phenomenon.
For details, visit Google Cloud Print home page, then go to "Cloud Ready Printers," "Add a Classic printer," and "Connect your classic printer."

James Monroe

Oct 27, 2015, 9:07:58 PM10/27/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
If I recall right, you bought the printer for your father?  Instead of utilizing a laptop, you could utilize a headless [monitorless] mini-itx box with a flavor of linux Canon offers drivers for, and then use the classic print option.  There are pros and cons when comparing a headless mini-itx box and a laptop (as both can be procured for roughly the same price, and more often than not a mini-itx box is cheaper), I understand it's not ideal, especially when one considers how frustrating it must be for users who bough cloud print laser printers that were $400+.  The upside to a mini-itx box over a PC is it can be utilized to host a multitude of different services, from using it as an NAS, running streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and the like, and countless other uses.

If one really wanted to express their frustration towards Canon, there's enough evidence for multiple consumer and bad faith complaints, as the encryption [authorization] upgrade Google implemented wasn't just to it's cloud print servers, but to almost all, if not all, of its consumer based servers.  All third party software companies that offered products that also integrated into, or pulled information from, Google's consumer based servers have all had to update their coding to allow continued access Google's servers over the past year to year and a half. This demonstrates Canon wasn't blindsided, but simply chose to ignore the problem and possibly defraud customers (which is where bad faith comes into play).

David Crowther

Oct 28, 2015, 1:15:16 PM10/28/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Thanks for your input James.  At this point, I'll have my dad give the printer to one of my nephews since I can get him a brand new HP all-in-one color laser with cloud printing capabilities for about the same price, or less, of a PC or mini-itx box.

Vegard Langås

Nov 4, 2015, 4:12:24 PM11/4/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
As Canon thinks it is ok for me to share the firmware update. Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2B90mKEb4U1dV9mbVVYQmtSaEk/view
It is intended for  i-SENSYS MF82XX printers. I have tested it once, and it worked for me. The instructions I got states that the printer MUST BE CONNECTED VIA USB!
As mentioned earlier, I claim no warranty, install the firmware on your own risk! If you contact Canon they might get them to hurry up shipping it, and you might get the same firmware from a more reliable source. Complete instructions that I got in Norwegian is listed below. Just tells how to get the printer in to firmware upgrade mode.

Skriveren må være tilkoblet med USB kabel til den aktuelle Pc'en under instalasjonen.
Før du starter installasjonen må du gjøre følgende:
På Skrivere:
Trykk Meny (hode med stjerne i)
Velg Systemstyrinsinstillinger
Hvis du blir spurt om bruker/passord er begge standard: 7654321
Velg Oppdater Fastvare
Velg Via PC.
Nå settes maskinen i Download modus, det vil si at den er åpen for kommunikasjon med Oppdaterinsprogramvaren jeg har sendt til deg.

Når oppdateringen er ferdig kan du på nytt registrere Google Cloud Print ( Vi har testet dette med gode resultater)

Terrence Huebner

Nov 12, 2015, 2:26:18 PM11/12/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
I got my MF8580Cw to work.
In windows with the CHROME browser. You have to download the Google Cloud Print windows app and then select to install a classic printer

James Monroe

Nov 12, 2015, 4:39:53 PM11/12/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
That way has always been available for use and can be used to connect any printer as a cloud print printer.  The caveat is whatever computer you're using for the cloud print service must always be connected to the LAN the printer is connected to, otherwise the print job will be placed on hold until the registered computer is re-connected to the same LAN the printer is apart of.  This is called Classic Print and is not the same as a cloud print ready printer.

David Crowther

Nov 18, 2015, 2:45:24 PM11/18/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm, the firmware update provided by Vegard works in the US.  Thank you very much Vegard!

Within minutes, I had my father's Chromebook printing via Google cloud print on his MF8280cw after installing the update with my laptop.  I'll admit, I was weary on downloading and clicking on an .exe file from an unknown source in my PC, but I was not going to wait any longer (it's been over three months since he used the printer).

For those that want to try, here are the complete directions:

First, download and save the MF82xx_V0391.zip file Vegard has provided.

Go to the following page on Canon's website, or if my link goes down, go to the CanonUSA website, click on "Drivers and Downloads", type in your model name and click on "Get Drivers and Downloads".  Click on "Firmware" and choose "Windows" or "Mac" based on your operating system.

The firmware and instruction files have been compressed.  The following instructions show you how to download the compressed files and decompress them.

1. To download files, click [I Agree-Begin Download] icon, then input printer serial number, select [Save], and specify the directory where you want to save the file. Click [Save] to start the file download.
2. Downloaded files are saved in the specified folder in a self-extracting format (.exe format).
3. Double-click the files to decompress them. A new folder will be created in the same folder.
4. Open the decompressed PDF file. Follow this PDF instruction to start the firmware update.

The instructions were in the decompressed PDF file named "UST_Operation_Guide_EN.pdf".

Once you have followed these instruction and the printer is set to "Download Mode", double-click on the file you downloaded from Vegard and continue following the directions in the "UST_Operation_Guide_EN.pdf".

Once the firmware is updated, follow the directions in this video and you too should be connected via Google cloud print...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NLRiKMyNg

Good luck and thanks again Vegard!

On Wednesday, November 4, 2015 at 4:12:24 PM UTC-5, Vegard Langås wrote:
As Canon thinks it is ok for me to share the firmware update. Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2B90mKEb4U1dV9mbVVYQmtSaEk/view
It is intended for  i-SENSYS MF82XX printers. I have tested it once, and it worked for me. The instructions I got states that the printer MUST BE CONNECTED VIA USB!

EDIT: spelling

Michael Lebiedzinski