Administrator without permission to configure the firewall?

Fabio Oliva

Jun 8, 2021, 6:43:17 PM6/8/21
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After 3 years using GCE, today I needed to configure access on a non-standard port and I haven't been able to so far... when trying to use the firewall (VPC Network -> Firewall), I get the following message:

You don't have required permissions:
  • compute.organizations.setSecurityPolicy
to view the firewall policies inherited by this project.
I'm the only/unique system administrator and I was able to configure the firewall before... Why can't I do it now?

Same user (admin)... same project... no changes in firewall rules after 3 years... no changs in project's configuration at all... so why??

Please, could you guys tell me if there is any configuration I have to change in order to access VPC Firewall? Is it my mistake or is it a Google problem ?

Thanks in advance!!

Best regards,
_______________________
Fabio Bastiglia Oliva
fbo...@gmail.com

Justin Reiners

Jun 9, 2021, 3:30:16 PM6/9/21
to Fabio Oliva, gce-discussion
They've added finer grained controls over the years, I've noticed it too, I ended up giving myself project owner, editor, and viewer and I can change about anything.

--
© 2018 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/CAALMt02dyAbdS7VBtpCNCd1ZdvA8dM2UhNW-S8WUzshhdNos8w%40mail.gmail.com.

Shamma Nikhat (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 9, 2021, 4:07:05 PM6/9/21
to gce-discussion
Hello,

As per the error message the permission compute.organizations.setSecurityPolicy is needed to view the firewall rules in the project. In this documentation it can be seen that only "roles/compute.orgSecurityResourceAdmin" has this permission.

In order to provide why it was working before and not now, it needed more troubleshooting. Google Groups hosts discussion forums where you're likely to find information like service status updates and release notes, and ranging from book recommendations to creative shortcuts. For any other technical issues you can post your question to Stack Overflow.

Philip Harvey

Sep 15, 2021, 1:08:47 PM9/15/21
to gce-discussion
I have also struck a similar issue.  We want our "admins" group to be able to view the firewall policy but not modify the policy. The error is indicating that you need permissions to modify the policy to be able to view it, which seems like a bug.  Should I open a support case for this issue?