Running 64-bit Virtual Box VMs inside Google Compute VMs

Ram Chaitanya

May 7, 2016, 1:04:58 PM5/7/16
to gce-discussion
Hi,
 I'm trying to get a prebuilt virtualbox VM supplied by Oracle running on a Google Compute Windows/Linux VM. At the moment I've tried to install virtual box on both Window as well as Linux Google compute VMs and see that I can only host 32-bit VMs not 64-bit VMs. Typically running a 64-bit VM on any Windows/Linux server would involve enabling Virtualization VT-x at the BIOS level. What would the equivalent be on a Google compute instance?

 I understand Ideally I should migrate the content onto the base Google Compute VM itself, but Its not something I have the bandwidth to do at the moment. I need a temporary work around to get this VM running on my GCE VM. Thanks.

regards,
Ram C

Paul Nash

May 8, 2016, 3:25:50 AM5/8/16
to Ram Chaitanya, gce-discussion
Hi Ram, at present nested VT-x is not supported on GCE.

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/175d96e1-abf3-452c-843b-9a9d14d033cc%40googlegroups.com.

Paul R. Nash | Product Manager, Compute Engine | paul...@google.com | 206-876-1620

Matt Palmer

Jun 2, 2016, 9:29:33 AM6/2/16
to gce-discussion, ramcha...@gmail.com
Hi Paul/Ram,

Real shame that VT-x not currently supported

Is there somewhere that lists out the roadmap and maybe a due date for when VT-x functionality can be expected on GCE?

I'm hitting similar problems as Ram, using GCE on TravisCI :-(

thanks in advance

Paul Nash

Jun 2, 2016, 12:03:24 PM6/2/16
to Matt Palmer, gce-discussion, Ram Chaitanya
Hi Matt, currently we try to maintain a pretty clean line between "available" and "not" because the customer churn and confusion that tends to result from having speculative dates for future possible features seems to cause more pain than benefit to our overall community. In particular, features often change priorities and timeframes in our planning process to react to the most important things customers tell us they need. This is a different, more commercial approach than an open source project might take (for example, Kubernetes is more centered around github).

A lot of customers have given us feedback that dates that slip often are actually worse than no dates at all (until we have a firm date).

Currently VT-x support is something we definitely think would enable a number of interesting scenarios (assuming it performs fairly well) but it's not something we get a ton of "high" priority requests for, so we don't have a firm date to release it. I'm not sure how to characterize it further, other than in terms of what we're hearing from customers. :/

Hope that helps. Please feel free to little-r reply if you'd like to share more about your Travis-CI use case, we'd like to hear what you're trying to do so we can include that use case in our planning.

Thanks,
-P

Kyle Travis

Oct 30, 2016, 12:05:18 PM10/30/16
to gce-discussion, mattpa...@gmail.com, ramcha...@gmail.com
I could use VT-x for a pcf-dev use case as well.

Michael Feldman

Mar 20, 2017, 8:22:16 PM3/20/17
to gce-discussion, ramcha...@gmail.com
Has the GCE been imporoved to support it (May2017)?

-Thanks

Sami Ahma-aho

Sep 22, 2017, 9:27:10 AM9/22/17
to gce-discussion
There would be definitely a case for it for example in dev for running Vagrant and deployment machines.

This e-mail and any further e-mails from the Neste Corporation or any of its employees, directors or other representatives, including any file(s) transmitted with such messages ("message") may be confidential and intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed or to whom the sender intended to address it. If you are not the intended recipient of this or any following message, please contact the sender immediately upon receipt of the message and delete the message from your system without reproducing, distributing or retaining copies thereof or using or disclosing the information contained therein. Thank you.

Due to the insecure nature of this medium, this or any following message may have been altered without the knowledge of sender. The sender will therefore not be liable for the message if modified.

Paul Nash

Sep 29, 2017, 5:43:44 PM9/29/17
to Sami Ahma-aho, gce-discussion
Hello all,

Nested Virtualization is something we've heard a request for, for some time now. I'm happy to report that we have just announced the first release of support for this kind of scenario. We do not yet support nesting by all hypervisors, however we may extend this to support more scenarios in the future.

I'm sorry but I can't immediately give an answer on whether Vagrant and Packer scenarios that are popular with developers are supported yet, we'll look into it.

--
© 2017 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/28a144a1-d616-4563-b852-ce2884da058a%40googlegroups.com.

Paul R. Nash | Group Product Manager, Compute Engine | paul...@google.com | 206-876-1620