Beta Site New Bug/Issue - regression on mobile

Adam Knights

Sep 23, 2021, 3:54:09 AM9/23/21
to gcd-tech
Hi,

There's currently an issue with auto selects on beta.comics.org

Examples:
When trying to select a creator when editing a sequence, I see a select dropdown with 0 items rather than an auto complete, and cannot use it
The same for the new character auto completes

The fields look and work fine on mobile on the main site, so must be something introduced on the beta code branch.

I see the issue in both Safari and Chrome on mobile.

I'll reply with screenshots.

Cheers
Adam

Adam Knights

Sep 23, 2021, 3:58:22 AM9/23/21
to gcd-tech
creators-not-working.png

The above shows the creator appearing as a dropdown rather than an auto complete on beta. The below shows how it looks on the main site:

how-they-look-on-main-site.png

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 4:21:14 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Just tried, it works on Android in both Firefox and Chrome.

We updated the underlying library for auto-complete, if, it is more
likely a bug on that side, not ours (as in, nothing much I can do). Or a
caching issue with the browser ?

https://django-autocomplete-light.readthedocs.io/en/master/
with select2.js
https://select2.org/

Jochen

Am 23.09.21 um 09:54 schrieb Adam Knights:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/751773bd-5758-436d-b930-2095e8fb6109n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/751773bd-5758-436d-b930-2095e8fb6109n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Adam Knights

Sep 23, 2021, 5:08:16 AM9/23/21
to gcd-tech
No not cacheing, I am iPhone and do see the issue in both browsers.

I've just tried iPad and it has the same issue.

One thing I would like to try is the edit issue page, to see if creators work on a page without the character changes (i'm assuming they wont, but good to check) - but I'm getting 500 internal server error when trying to add an issue or edit issue details on beta.

Once that's fixed ill try that and also keep on digging, ill see if there's anything useful in console by hooking the mobile up to a laptop...

Where it is working on desktop, the console shows this error: The DAL function "select2" has already been registered, i dont see this error on main site - i wonder if that has anything to do with it and only manifests itself as an issue on iOS devices?

Cheers
Adam

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 6:47:33 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Try a different series/issue for testing, there are some image hickups.

Jochen

Am 23.09.21 um 11:08 schrieb Adam Knights:
> [...]
> caching issue with the browser ?
>
> https://django-autocomplete-light.readthedocs.io/en/master/
> <https://django-autocomplete-light.readthedocs.io/en/master/>
> with select2.js
> https://select2.org/ <https://select2.org/>
>
> Jochen
>
> Am 23.09.21 um 09:54 schrieb Adam Knights:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There's currently an issue with auto selects on beta.comics.org
> <http://beta.comics.org>
> >
> > Examples:
> > When trying to select a creator when editing a sequence, I see a
> select
> > dropdown with 0 items rather than an auto complete, and cannot use it
> > The same for the new character auto completes
> >
> > The fields look and work fine on mobile on the main site, so must be
> > something introduced on the beta code branch.
> >
> > I see the issue in both Safari and Chrome on mobile.

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 6:54:51 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
e.g. try an issue from this series:
https://beta.comics.org/series/57578/

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 7:02:53 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I tried something, can you try for stories ?

It breaks the issue edit form though, but wanted to see if the change
makes a difference for you.

Am 23.09.21 um 11:08 schrieb Adam Knights:
> No not cacheing, I am iPhone and do see the issue in both browsers.
>
> I've just tried iPad and it has the same issue.
>
> One thing I would like to try is the edit issue page, to see if creators
> work on a page without the character changes (i'm assuming they wont,
> but good to check) - but I'm getting500 internal server error when
> trying to add an issue or edit issue details on beta.
>
> Once that's fixed ill try that and also keep on digging, ill see if
> there's anything useful in console by hooking the mobile up to a laptop...
>

> Where it is working on desktop, the console shows this error: The DAL
> function "select2" has already been registered, i dont see this error on
> main site - i wonder if that has anything to do with it and only
> manifests itself as an issue on iOS devices?
>
> Cheers
> Adam
>

> On Thursday, 23 September 2021 at 09:21:14 UTC+1 Jochen G. wrote:
>
> Just tried, it works on Android in both Firefox and Chrome.
>
> We updated the underlying library for auto-complete, if, it is more
> likely a bug on that side, not ours (as in, nothing much I can do).
> Or a
> caching issue with the browser ?
>
> https://django-autocomplete-light.readthedocs.io/en/master/
> <https://django-autocomplete-light.readthedocs.io/en/master/>
> with select2.js
> https://select2.org/ <https://select2.org/>
>
> Jochen
>
> Am 23.09.21 um 09:54 schrieb Adam Knights:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There's currently an issue with auto selects on beta.comics.org
> <http://beta.comics.org>
> >
> > Examples:
> > When trying to select a creator when editing a sequence, I see a
> select
> > dropdown with 0 items rather than an auto complete, and cannot use it
> > The same for the new character auto completes
> >
> > The fields look and work fine on mobile on the main site, so must be
> > something introduced on the beta code branch.
> >
> > I see the issue in both Safari and Chrome on mobile.
> >
> > I'll reply with screenshots.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Adam
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/751773bd-5758-436d-b930-2095e8fb6109n%40googlegroups.com
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/8b5c5075-3dc8-4567-80ac-0049aab9ebe5n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/8b5c5075-3dc8-4567-80ac-0049aab9ebe5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Adam Knights

Sep 23, 2021, 8:43:35 AM9/23/21
to gcd-tech
Tried again (including clearing all data again) and have the same issue. Can also confirm I see the issue when adding editors on the add variant page.

On desktop I now see the "The DAL function "select2" has already been registered" error only 3 times in console, whereas before it was 8 times. Thanks for trying something so quickly.

I saw this thread -> https://github.com/yourlabs/django-autocomplete-light/issues/1226 - not exactly related but i wonder whether they've broken something in 3.8.2... could try 3.9.0rc1 or 3.8.1, unless there was a specific fix in 3.8.2 we upgraded for?

Cheers
Adam

Adam Knights

Sep 23, 2021, 8:52:16 AM9/23/21
to gcd-tech
I managed to hook the ipad upto a laptop and get the console window:

safari-console.png
So very much related to the above posted DAL issue i think.

Cheers
Adam

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 9:04:54 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
OK, so it is not character-related.

Am 23.09.21 um 14:43 schrieb Adam Knights:
> > https://select2.org/ <https://select2.org/> <https://select2.org/
> <https://select2.org/>>
> >
> > Jochen
> >
> > Am 23.09.21 um 09:54 schrieb Adam Knights:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > There's currently an issue with auto selects on beta.comics.org
> <http://beta.comics.org>
> > <http://beta.comics.org <http://beta.comics.org>>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/8b5c5075-3dc8-4567-80ac-0049aab9ebe5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/8b5c5075-3dc8-4567-80ac-0049aab9ebe5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/311adc9a-3c06-42aa-9d67-193921fbb47fn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/311adc9a-3c06-42aa-9d67-193921fbb47fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 9:15:21 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I undid the test changes, but now installed an earlier version of
django-autocomplete-light. Maybe it works with that.

Am 23.09.21 um 14:52 schrieb Adam Knights:
> I managed to hook the ipad upto a laptop and get the console window:
>
> > <http://beta.comics.org <http://beta.comics.org>>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/8b5c5075-3dc8-4567-80ac-0049aab9ebe5n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/8b5c5075-3dc8-4567-80ac-0049aab9ebe5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/8b5c5075-3dc8-4567-80ac-0049aab9ebe5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/44e98e1f-fc9a-4b08-9351-961c2bcdd263n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/44e98e1f-fc9a-4b08-9351-961c2bcdd263n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 9:16:53 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
To be clear, we want to have the new version, because the old version
has problems, e.g. when clicking 'add another' the earlier
auto-completes don't work anymore.

Adam Knights

Sep 23, 2021, 9:19:15 AM9/23/21
to gcd-tech
Just tried again, and the earlier version has fixed it, all autocompletes work fine on iphone and ipad now.

I guess when they finally change 3.9 to a full release that may also fix it.

Many thanks,
Adam

Adam Knights

Sep 23, 2021, 9:20:08 AM9/23/21
to gcd-tech
Is it worth trying 3.9.0rc1? If that fixes it then we could push them to release it properly.

Cheers
Adam

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 9:35:04 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 9:38:49 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

Adam Knights

Sep 23, 2021, 9:56:50 AM9/23/21
to gcd-tech
Nice, still working all ok under 3.8.1 - if that resolves the other issues then we are probably good.

RC install via pip would be:  pip install django-autocomplete-light==3.9.0rc1

Cheers
Adam

Jochen G.

Sep 23, 2021, 10:00:01 AM9/23/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
also saw that it is available via pip, but that fails in the install.

Am 23.09.21 um 15:56 schrieb Adam Knights:
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/c6a112f3-c37b-41ed-9973-69adeba2231an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/c6a112f3-c37b-41ed-9973-69adeba2231an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/beeb9796-199b-4e15-b050-5469bf70acedn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/beeb9796-199b-4e15-b050-5469bf70acedn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Adam Knights

Oct 3, 2021, 5:16:36 AM10/3/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
The one outstanding issue I see on beta, is that migrated characters don’t show up as links on the compare page. Just incase this helps for today’s release.

Cheers
Adam

Jochen G.

Oct 3, 2021, 5:33:18 AM10/3/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I know. Looking at it now, actually.

Needed to wait on the decision on several characters or not.

Jochen

Am 03.10.21 um 11:16 schrieb Adam Knights:
> The one outstanding issue I see on beta, is that migrated characters
> don’t show up as links on the compare page. Just incase this helps for
> today’s release.
>
> Cheers
> Adam
>
> On Thursday, 23 September 2021, Jochen G. <gcd...@garcke.de
> >     > > > > <mailto:gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com
> >     > > > <mailto:gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com
> >     > > <mailto:gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com
> >     > <mailto:gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com
> > an email to gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:gcd-tech+u...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/beeb9796-199b-4e15-b050-5469bf70acedn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/beeb9796-199b-4e15-b050-5469bf70acedn%40googlegroups.com>
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/beeb9796-199b-4e15-b050-5469bf70acedn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/beeb9796-199b-4e15-b050-5469bf70acedn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/570959b5-a355-7bdc-94e3-41d03d5d5a46%40garcke.de
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/570959b5-a355-7bdc-94e3-41d03d5d5a46%40garcke.de>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/CAODfJQw6k%3DyAsa7aLBZgkB4O5AJNRYUc-RRiaz%3D_W2EA_hdeSw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/CAODfJQw6k%3DyAsa7aLBZgkB4O5AJNRYUc-RRiaz%3D_W2EA_hdeSw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Adam Knights

Oct 3, 2021, 7:46:41 AM10/3/21
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Thought u would but just wanted to make sure :).

Cheers
Adam