Redistricting Game

Walter Gorski

Nov 12, 2021, 2:57:54 PM11/12/21
to Games for Change
Hello,

I am a high school teacher of government and politics.

The Redistricting Game, now, due to the demise of Adobe Flash, is no longer easily accessible.  It was by far an away the best game/tutorial/learning tool I ever used to help students understand redistricting.

I am wondering how this game might be resurrected - so that it is again easy to access.

I have no experience programming, so that may affect how someone responds.

Cheers.

Drew Crecente

Nov 13, 2021, 4:12:43 PM11/13/21
to Games for Change
I'm sorry to hear about this but can appreciate the problem; we've had many of our games suffer the same fate. However, depending on the game there might be some workarounds. One thing we have been able to do with some of our Flash games is make them available as an installable game to play locally on a computer. However, games that rely on online features or that will only run on a specified domain might not be very easy to make available.

Also, without knowing more it is difficult to know if there would be any licensing (legal) restrictions against making any changes. If you can send me a link or other info I would be happy to see to look into it further.

Best,
- Drew

Drew Crecente, JD
Game Publisher, Life Love Publishing

Our award-winning Gaming Against Violence program is an evidence-based approach to violence prevention through games.

Address: 2554 Drew Valley Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30319
Phone/Fax: 1-877-STOP-TDV
EIN: 20-4618499

LaToya Smith

Nov 17, 2021, 2:42:04 PM11/17/21
to Games for Change
My team is currently working on developing an online game for 4th and 5th grade math students with accessibility feature considerations. Is this game a download or strictly web-based? If web-based, one option might be Equally Ai. We recently added the custom code to our websites to help improve accesibility and plan to use it on our new WebApp as well.

Feel free to review our links from my signature block below.

Kind Regards,

LaToya V Smith,  Owner & CEO
3S Tech & Talent LLC - "Standards + Strategy = Success!"

"It's not the technology that matters, it's the connections you make!"

Walter Gorski

Nov 22, 2021, 2:12:17 PM11/22/21
to Games for Change
Hi Drew,

Thanks for replying.

Here is l link to the game:

Sincerely,

Walter Gorski
Deer Valley HS - Law And Justice Academy Lead Teacher

Jonathon Rios

Nov 22, 2021, 2:12:18 PM11/22/21
to Games for Change
The game seems to work fine using Ruffle, a Flash Player emulator. I have it installed on my web browser for cases just like this.

To try it for yourself, click here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ruffle/donbcfbmhbcapadipfkeojnmajbakjdc or search for "Ruffle" in the Chrome Web Store

So, the short answer to getting the game running for your class again:
1. Submit approval for the download and installation of Ruffle to classroom computers
2. Download and install the extension (or desktop version if you please)
3. Go to the webpage and play (or download the game and distribute it to your students)

John Say

Nov 23, 2021, 10:18:09 AM11/23/21
to Jonathon Rios, Games for Change
Wow cool to know!

John

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gamesforchange/fa40bf7d-5a93-4313-a790-b2c87c6c2326n%40googlegroups.com.
--
_______________ John Say, CEO www.saydesign.com Skype: johnsay tel: 415-508-4144

Sarah Larges

Nov 3, 2022, 3:04:28 PM11/3/22
to Games for Change
Have you used the Ruffle emulator recently. I had our Tech department allow the install and now when I go to the game, you can't actually play the mission. Any thoughts or ideas to try?
Thanks!

Jonathon Rios

Nov 3, 2022, 4:54:44 PM11/3/22
to Games for Change
I see what you mean. The next “viable” option is to try is to use a standalone Windows install like Lightspark or other Flash Players listed here. But that may be harder to convince IT to allow. If you are running on Chromebooks, you may be out of options since the standalone players are Windows only.

But we aren't out of ideas. I've emailed Chris Swain, the project lead of The Redistricting Game, to see if he'll port the game to another browser friendly game engine. Hopefully he'll respond and provide alternatives to get the game running. I used the email found here https://iovine-young.usc.edu/people/chris-swain

Cross fingers!
Message has been deleted