Gallery3 uploading photos

Alan S

Jun 8, 2022, 10:20:58 AM6/8/22
to Gallery 3 Users
I installed gallery3 about 12 years ago and everything
was fine. I could share photos with family/cousins. Since
then I have havent updated. I have gone through several
laptops which expired.

Now I want to update the gallery for my relatives. It still
works ok except I cannot add new photos. When I select
Add photos>Select photos... nothing appears. My question
- is Gallery3 looking in a particular folder, local
or on the server?

Thanks - Alan

J.R.

Jun 8, 2022, 6:55:07 PM6/8/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Alan,

The image uploader in your old Gallery 3 was Flash-based and has stopped working because Adobe abandoned Flash about 5 years ago. Most servers (and many new computers) do not even Flash to run anymore because it has become a serious security vulnerability. This was just one of the reasons why Brad Dutton spearheaded a movement on this group to create an updated version of Gallery 3 which uses a newer technology for its image uploader. Also, the old Gallery 3 will simply *not* run on most servers anymore because it will not run on anything higher than PHP 5.6 -- and most servers are now insisting on running PHP 7 or higher (again, because of security vulnerabilities in older versions of PHP)

So, what you have to do is download a copy of the latest release of Gallery version 3.1.5 from:

https://galleryrevival.com/

And update your old Gallery 3 installation. Once you've done that you should be able use the "Add Photo" option to upload images again.

-- J.R.

Thanks - Alan --
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/fa1f2e6c-5c0f-4ba5-bf60-985e17c58d1fn%40googlegroups.com.

Alan S

Jun 10, 2022, 5:45:56 AM6/10/22
to Gallery 3 Users
J.R.

Many thanks for your reply and explanation. I will take your advice and update my gallery3 installation.

Best regards - Alan