PHP 7

botzen67

Jan 10, 2021, 11:07:17 PM1/10/21
to Gallery 3 Users
My hosting provider is forcing an upgrade from PHP 5.4 to PHP 7.x.
I proactively made the switch which broke my Gallery.
I installed a new version of gallery and moved over my "var" directory but it still isn't working.  Had to switch from using mysql to mysqli for the DB connection but it's broken.
Anyone have advice for using gallery3 with PHP 7.x?

Andrew Shinn

Jan 10, 2021, 11:12:43 PM1/10/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
I'm using PHP7.4 on Cent8, ... I don't recall doing anything special
really. I moved it off a Cent7 box that had been running PHP5. I am
using mysqli.

Any more details on what isn't working?

-Andrew

--
Andrew Shinn
ashinn(at)ecimulti.org

botzen67

Jan 10, 2021, 11:29:57 PM1/10/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Well I managed to get it working by doing a clean install, moving over the "var" directory, backing up the database.php file, doing an install and then modifying the database.php with the old database creds.

Pheww!!!

JR

Jan 11, 2021, 4:17:08 AM1/11/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

You will need to clarify things a bit before we can offer much help:

1) Which version of Gallery were you running *before* you tried to upgrade to the new version?

2) You say you "installed a new version of gallery" -- which version was it you installed? The only one that should be used at this point is the latest release of Gallery 3, version 3.1.3 -- this latest version runs on everything from PHP 5.1 to 7.4 and can be downloaded at:

https://galleryrevival.com/download.php

3) Was your server still running PHP 5.4 when you "installed a new version of gallery"? That's the way to do the upgrade. Only after the installation of Gallery version 3.1.3 is successful under PHP 5.x and thoroughly tested should you then change the server to PHP 7.x (right now PHP 7.4 is best if it is available on your server).

-- J.R.

JR

Jan 11, 2021, 4:38:29 AM1/11/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Glad you got it working. It seems what you ended up doing is the process the upgrade instructions in the Gallery Codex outline:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:User_guide:Gallery3:Installing_and_upgrading.html#Upgrading

-- J.R.