Is there a way to copy / move photos between a Test and Live Gallery database?

Edward Dreyer

Jun 11, 2021, 4:50:09 PM6/11/21
to Gallery 3 Users
This is my first post here and am relatively new to Gallery and using a database, for that matter.  I have recently switched to a new hosting site and now have both TEST and PRODUCTION versions of Gallery 3.1.3 at the same host.   One of the private albums I had set up was to allow the business owner to upload pics from his cellphone.  I would then transfer pics to the appropriate viewable album and add appropriate text.  These viewable albums are then accessible on his business web-site.  I'm not talking about a high volume of pics here but this process has been perfect for this non-techical person.

In the process of moving web-sites and galleries across to the new host, some pics got uploaded to the TEST Gallery.  Instead of getting the client to upload pics again into the PRODUCTION Gallery, is there an easy way for me to transfer them from the TEST database to the PRODUCTION database?  I don't have database experience but I would like to know if I can easily do this.

J.R.

Jun 11, 2021, 9:06:10 PM6/11/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Edward,

If you're only need to do with a limited number of images and you want to keep it simple, just do it the obvious way: Go into the Test Galley and display an image you want to transfer. Let's call it "image1". Download "image1" to your local computer... do the same to all the rest of the images that need to be transferred. Then login to your Production Gallery and use the "add photo" option to upload the images from your local computer into the Production Gallery.

That's a easy as it can be done. There are other ways, but they are a lot more complicated. With the above process you can probably move an image from one place to the other in less than 2 minutes each.

-- J.R.

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/90954d04-1a07-4426-ac6e-5a7918c85584n%40googlegroups.com.

Ed D

Jun 12, 2021, 6:49:36 AM6/12/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much.  I over-complicated this and never thought about this obvious and easy method.
Problem solved.

J.R.

Jun 13, 2021, 4:37:54 PM6/13/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Edward,

Getting over-complicated is an occupational hazard once you move past an app's standard User Interface. But I realized my suggestion could have been even easier, so I over-complicated the first part of those instructions myself:

Since you have access to your sever, you could have gone to directly to the location of Test Gallery files and found the /var folder -- which is where all the images are stored -- in Gallery images are not stored in the database -- just a text link in the database points to the physical location of an image in the /var folder and its sub-folders.

In the /var folder there are at least three sub-folder directories:
/var/albums
/var/thumbs
/var/resizes

var/albums...   is where an image you upload is stored when you use the "add photo" tool.

val/thumbs...   is where a thumbnail image of the uploaded image is automatically created and stored.

val/resizes/...   is where a *copy* of the uploaded image is automatically created and stored.
The image in /var/resizes is what actually displays on the Gallery screen when you click on its thumbnail, not the original uploaded image.

This is a valuable (and fairly unique) feature of Gallery: Normally, the viewer never sees the original image on the screen -- they see the copy of the image stored in /var/resizes.... which functions as an archive of the original images you upload into Gallery using the "add photo" tool.

So what you could have done instead of going to individual images in the Test Gallery and downloading them one at a time to your local computer is use an FTP program to navigate to the Test Gallery files and find  /var/albums... and then directly select and download images into your local computer. However, the second part, where you login to the Production Gallery is the same -- it is mandatory to use the "add photo" tool to upload any image into Gallery.  The "Add photo" function is how the Gallery system uploads an image into the archive, creates its thumbnail and a copy off the image and stores them the three proper locations physical locations -- and at the same time creates the corresponding links to everything in the database itself.

Full Disclosure: OK, sure... those of you who know how to user the server_add module realize there is yet another way... but, honestly, server_add is way too hard (and potentially dangerous) for most people to use.

-- J.R.

Ed D

Jun 14, 2021, 8:24:41 AM6/14/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this valuable information. I appreciate it.

On another note, I do experience sticky thumbnails but before I send an email on that, I will review the most recent sticky thumbnails thread and do a bit more research.
Thanks again.