Upgrade from version one?

Dovie Gelerinter

Dec 30, 2020, 11:03:02 AM12/30/20
to Gallery 3 Users
I realize this kind of dates my use of gallery, but I had an old install many years ago that I can't even access anymore online since those servers shut down. I have all the files, though. I believe it was a version one of gallery. I have access now to put it all back online, but I wanted to upgrade to the latest gallery. Is there a guide anywhere to update to the latest from version one?

Thanks!

Kazuo Kuroi

Dec 31, 2020, 1:21:18 PM12/31/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
You'll need to firstly look into upgrading to Gallery2, then the old Gallery3 and then the "new" Gallery3.

It's going to be tedious and you'll likely need access to multiple PHP versions to get it working

Adrian London

Dec 31, 2020, 1:28:50 PM12/31/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
This may help - the original 15 year old FAQ on migrating from G1 to G2!

And the forums (which still exist):

Dovie Gelerinter

Dec 31, 2020, 11:07:07 PM12/31/20
to Gallery 3 Users

Bah! It looks like it may be easier to just fresh install gallery three and re-upload all the photos and sift through the files by hand to find what I want.

Thanks, all!

Adrian London

Jan 1, 2021, 5:41:02 AM1/1/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
That’s how I would do it.

Use Server Add (in G3) to mass upload the photos. It’ll create albums to match the directory structure. I’ve no idea how G1 works, but if it stores titles/descriptions/comments in a database, some SQL may be able to extract it.

Dovie Gelerinter

Jan 1, 2021, 10:05:17 AM1/1/21
to Gallery 3 Users
That's the problem. Everything in G1 is flat files. All the descriptions are in a flat file. Although, come to think of it, I've coded more complicated extractions. :) I should be able to write a script to pull out the descriptions pretty easily.

Adrian London

Jan 1, 2021, 12:04:47 PM1/1/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Well, G2 has an “import from G1” function it seems, so if you have G2 fully installed you should be able to find out how that code works, and hence how to extract the data from the files and SQL them into the database. Of course, it’d be worth looking at the "G2 to G3 Import” module in a G3 installation and try to kill two birds with one stone :)

JR

Jan 1, 2021, 8:45:17 PM1/1/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Adrian,

That's an amazing find... I didn't even know there was a Gallery 1 section way back in 2010 when the gallery project website was still active. I also found something else about Gallery 1 that some may find very useful -- a section on "Customizing Gallery 1":

http://gallery.menalto.com/forum/48.html

-- J.R.

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/7C8145F5-4E62-442D-9288-26E7028E5096%40gmail.com.

Adrian London

Jan 2, 2021, 6:01:59 AM1/2/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
http://galleryproject.org has been “cleaned up”, resulting in most of the attachments being deleted along with some of the FAQs (which is why I had to use web.archive.org for the migration FAQ) and also the “translations” page that someone earlier asked about as they wanted a multi-lingual G3.

It’s a pity, but I assume someone is still paying to host it and needed to reduce their costs for something that, until recently, no-one had talked about for years :)

The  G1 forums all still exist though, and if there are any links in there which point to galleryproject.org that are now dead, simply do what I did and paste the url into web.archive.org and look at snapshots from around 15 years ago.

G1 forums

I wonder if anyone is actually still running G1.   Maybe web.archive.org has more gems from that time :)

JR

Jan 2, 2021, 4:01:19 PM1/2/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Adrian,

When Brad released the first 3.1.1 update and Gallery 3 became officially "revived" I contacted Bharat about this issue and other things. Bharat is the last of the old Development Team and had assumed control over everything Gallery 3 (not just the galleryproject website, but he's also listed as the only "contact" at all the downloading sites like SourceForge and Softaculous -- all of which still offer the 8-year old Gallery 3.0.9 as the "latest" version available. This really needs to be changed because people will continue to try to install version 3.0.9 into hosting accounts running PHP 7 and hit a dead end, leaving them to believe that Gallery really is dead.

At that time Bharat seemed reluctant to turn control over any of it to anyone else, but I am going to try getting in contact with him again. He does seem to be trying to move a lot of the old project pages to his menalto.com site as "hidden pages" -- meaning if you don't know the proper URL you can't access them from the www.menalto.com home page -- right now the "proper URL" is  http://gallery.menalto.com/forum.html -- unfortunately it is not running under https: which will make it difficult for some people to access them. I suspect he is hosting menalto.com on at the same sever where what's left of the old galleryproject.org  is hosted.

-- J.R.

Adrian London

Jan 2, 2021, 4:07:33 PM1/2/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Interesting! Thanks JR.

That name rings a bell. I can only guess that he had (or has?) plans to do something with it all. Eventually, no one will really need any G1 or G2 info, or even G3.0.9 info and we can just move on with G3.1, referring people either to galleryproject (whilst still existing) or the web archive for any old info.