Upgrading Gallery on Go Daddy

dan wallen

Dec 27, 2020, 5:15:58 PM12/27/20
to Gallery 3 Users
I installed Gallery years ago using the Go Daddy cpanel. I contacted Go Daddy about the upgrade but was told not their problem. Is there instructions somewhere to load 3.13 on a  Go Daddy based Web Server.

Thanks

JR

Dec 27, 2020, 5:54:21 PM12/27/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Dan,

There is an new version of Gallery3 which is *not* currently available for a cpanel installation like the old Gallery 3.0.9 was. But if your Gallery 3.0.9 is still working, you should be able to update with no real problem. The latest version is Gallery 3.1.3 -- it will run on every version of PHP from 5.4 to 7.4 -- you simply download the .zip file from here:

https://galleryrevival.com/index.php  ... click on where it says " 3.1.3  " to download, then go to this page for the upgrade guide:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:User_guide:Gallery3:Installing_and_upgrading.html#Upgrading

NOTE: If your Godaddy hosting account lets you, you can upload the 3.1.3 zip file directly to a *new* folder in your hosting account and unzip (extract) it from there. Much quicker than the original method in the instructions that tell you to download the .zip to your computer, unzip it there and then manually upload all the individual files to your hosting account one at a time.

For people who are NOT upgrading from Gallery 3.0.9, and simply want to create a new installation of Gallery 3.1.3 in your hosting account -- after you download the .zip file you need to go to this page for the new installation instructions:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:User_guide:Gallery3:Installing_and_upgrading.html#Installation

The same NOTE above applies if your hosting account lets you upload .zip files into your hosting account and extract them directly into a new folder there.

Now, for the big question:

For those of you who want to "migrate" you old Gallery 2.3.2 installation into Gallery 3.1.3... it can be done but is considerably more complicated. Post a question about that here with the specifics of your current Gallery 2 installation and what kind of access you have to your hosting account's Cpanel. First you must determine what version of Gallery 2 you are currently running. To do that, log-in as administrator, click on the "ADMIN" link that appears near the top of your Gallery page then click on "Dashboard". There you can see the version number you are running. You need know that first before you can begin the migration (also known as "import gallery2")

-- J.R.

If you have any questions as you go along, ask them here. Give complete details in the questions for a quicker reply.

-- J.R.

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/87a2368b-2f05-40f2-8b27-7c1b5e9e3c73n%40googlegroups.com.

wall...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2020, 6:36:26 PM12/27/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

I’m not a web guy but I think I can do this. I really appreciate your help.

Dan

Harleytrailmaster

Jan 22, 2021, 12:38:13 PM1/22/21
to Gallery 3 Users
I'm about to upgrade my 6 yr old 3.0.9 Gallery - been putting it off but now at the point of no choice - close to 10,000 images - hosted with GoDaddy but I manually installed it originally & I migrated it to newer server once (3 yrs ago this yr) - a LOT of it is custom settings but not real hacked up - mostly custom modules & use GreyDragon - anything I should avoid or pay particular attention to ?

http://sbgallery.freebyrdsadvertising.net/index.php/

Adrian London

Jan 22, 2021, 3:41:32 PM1/22/21
to Gallery 3 Users
I looked at your gallery (I always like to see what themes people use!) and got excited when I saw a slideshow button.  I miss the slideshow!  So, in anticipation I moved my mouse over and saw ... Cooliris.  Damn.  Oh well.

That's my only advice to you - disable the Slideshow module before doing the upgrade.  I've read on these forums that it sometimes messes up some of the other nodules if left activated.

I upgrade by disregarding all the advice and instructions, and copy over the new G3 version directory by directory over my old installation (after a backup!) until something breaks, which it will do as soon as .../modules/gallery is copied over as I've made customisations to core code there.  I check the modification date of my files as any that are newer than the majority are ones that I must have edited.  I manually check the code of those files with the newer versions and merge the changes in.  However, a surprisingly little amount has changed between 3.0 and 3.1 so there's not actually much I have to do.

Harleytrailmaster

Jan 22, 2021, 6:15:56 PM1/22/21
to Gallery 3 Users
getting lot of unwritable errors - looking into it - some i think is due to amount being copied at one time

Adrian London

Jan 22, 2021, 6:34:34 PM1/22/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that’s an ftp / hosting problem rather than a Gallery one. I’ve no idea what access you have to your hosting server, but if you’re using an FTP programme (I use FileZilla or Cyberduck on my Mac) there may be a setting to reduce the number of parallel transfers.

Harleytrailmaster

Jan 22, 2021, 6:56:45 PM1/22/21
to Gallery 3 Users
GoDaddy but I'm ultimate hosting - I use cpanel ftp - trying rebuild images first - but might have to restore from backup & try again

JR

Jan 23, 2021, 6:40:18 PM1/23/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

... hold on a second. If you have cpanel access to your hosting account there may be a much better way to get Gallery 3.1.3 onto your server than doing the incredibly old-fashioned method of using ftp to upload at the individual gallery files  to your server:

My shared hosting server service is A2hosting.com -- but I would hope Godaddy would work the same. In the "file manager" portion of my cpanel there is a "Upload" button near the top of the screen. I click that and am prompted to select a file from my computer. I select the gallery3.1.3.zip and let it upload to my server account -- it doesn't take long at all -- then I can create a new folder and extract the  gallery3-3.1.3.zip  into the new folder. I can then copy the individual files from the new folder over into my old gallery folder (after making a backup, of course), and proceed with the upgrade process.

Actually, the instructions at the old gallery codex do mention doing it this way, at the very bottom of the install/upgrade instructions, but it is just barely mentioned. That's because when those instructions were written over 10 years ago most people did not have the option of using cpanel to upload the whole .zip file directly into their hosting account and unpacking it there.

-- J.R.