change ownership of album

Jon Schewe

Sep 10, 2022, 11:39:48 AM9/10/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
When I create an album, presumably it's owned by the user that created it and they have full permissions on the album. I have a case where I want to upload some pictures for someone else and make them the owner of the album. I am the admin of the site. How would I go about doing this?

Thank you,
Jon

J.R.

Sep 10, 2022, 6:18:32 PM9/10/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
John,

There are three approaches to doing what I think you want, but before describing them in how-to detail it would be best to tell us why you want to do this -- because one way is very safe and secure but takes some time and effort to setup, the second is sort-of-safe but requires much less effort to setup, and the third is VERY dangerous... but, naturally, this one is the easiest to setup :(

It's not so much a question of ownership -- but a question of who has Administrator access to the gallery installation -- which means the ability to change/modify/add/delete all albums and all settings and configurations in the entire Gallery installation).  There is no such thing as a "limited Administrator" in Gallery.

But beside yourself -- the Administrator who originally installed Gallery 3 ("the owner" if you like) -- there can also be additional Administrators. This is the option I said is VERY dangerous. To have two Administrators working on the same Gallery installation is a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing (or why... or how...) Anything done by an Administrator will go directly into the same database -- so any one person or the another making a simple mistake (or having something go wrong with what they did) will immediately affect the *entire* Gallery installation.  It's a situation that can easily result in a messed up or even non-working gallery with a scrambled database that could be impossible to fix.

Instead, the Administrator can create a special user (I call it an "editor") who can only add and delete stuff to a specific album (or albums) which the Administrator designates. This is the sort-of-safe option. But there is still the possibility that the editor might add or delete something in a way that causes a database glitch -- but with only add/delete capabilities to a certain album or two any problem would be much easier to trace and fix. Far less likely the entire Gallery could be seriously impacted. A functional editor is kind of tricky to set up... almost impossible to describe with words alone... but I can put together a pictorial tutorial if you think this approach is will work for you.

Finally, the way to avoid the dangers of a second person adding/deleting/changing your Gallery is to "simply" host two separate installations of Gallery on your server -- the original one where you are the Administrator and a second installation where the other person is the Administrator. If you want the two installations to appear and function as one, it is possible to include navigation links in both that take users back and forth between the two installations almost seamlessly. => see my site ( www.boxartden.com ) for an example -- it looks like one site but is actually composed of 4 separate installations of Gallery running on the save server ). This takes longer to set up but from sad experience I personally feel it is the only "safe and sane" approach.

So let me know what it is you want to achieve and which of the above approaches you want to try and I'll to into detail how to go about it.

-- J.R.

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/90d486c143c2c35a8368e4fdccc3fd315431f8c4.camel%40mtu.net.

Jon Schewe

Sep 10, 2022, 11:25:43 PM9/10/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Here is some more details that should help.

I have a single gallery installation and I am the only administrator.
I have multiple user accounts in my gallery installation. This includes an unprivileged account for myself.
Each user account has control of a top level album.

My daughter has her own top level album with albums within it.
I want to add a couple of albums to her top level album and her to be able to edit them just like she created them.

Doing some more looking, I think the answer is that I use the administrator account to add the albums to her top level album and then make sure that her user account has add/delete/edit privileges on the albums that I create. In the end I'm not sure that there is the concept of an owner like unix files have owners. Rather there are just permissions for each album. Am I correct?

Gerardo L. Cahn

Sep 10, 2022, 11:42:44 PM9/10/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Jon, perhaps you could make her administrator, login as her, do your uploads under her name, set her account back to regular user and restore her previous password?  A terrible practice, I know, but ... if she is upset raise her allowance or something?  Not sure if this accomplishes what you really want, but sounds like less work...

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/f03e7a5af6644fd583b1db99ccee7ec508346e3e.camel%40mtu.net.
--
// Gerardo L. Cahn <ger...@niuk.org>
//  linux, mac ... and, well, yes,

mikt...@hotmail.com

Sep 11, 2022, 12:10:41 AM9/11/22
to Gallery 3 Users
Jon,
Or  you could do it the simple and safe way.

install the  "Edit Owner" module and then either go to the individual files and do each one at a time or how I would do it. Go to the album and change ownership there, there is a box to "change all files in the album to the new owner. No privileges are transferred and it will look and work just as if the owner had uploaded them.
The module adds this option to the edit menu on each file and folder.

I have been running this module on two different and unconnected sites for several years without any problems

Tony

Jon Schewe

Sep 11, 2022, 9:17:56 AM9/11/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Tony,

Between that and changing the permissions seems to be exactly what I need. Thank you!

I found the source at codex, is there another location on github?

Jon

J.R.

Sep 11, 2022, 5:10:32 PM9/11/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
John,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Each user has control of a top level album"? What kind of control? Can they add and delete stuff in their album? If not, then they have no actual "control" over their album -- you have to do everything in the album for them.

The Gallery system provides a set of "global permissions" at the top level (the first page) and when an album or sub-album is created the new album automatically inherits those same permissions -- but, yes, each album's inherited permissions can be changed from the global setting to allow non-administrators to do stuff in that particular album only. This is what I was talking about when I said:

"The Administrator can create a special user (I call it an "editor") who can log-in but only add and delete stuff to a specific album (or albums) which the Administrator designates. This is the sort-of-safe option. But there is still the possibility that the editor might add or delete something in a way that causes a database glitch -- but with only add/delete capabilities to a certain album or two any problem would be much easier to trace and fix. Far less likely the entire Gallery could be seriously impacted. A functional editor is kind of tricky to set up... almost impossible to describe with words alone... but I can put together a pictorial tutorial if you think this approach is will work for you."

I should probably put the pictorial tutorial together and post it, but that will take me a couple of days (got to spend the whole day tomorrow out of town).

-- J.R.

J.R.

Sep 11, 2022, 5:26:23 PM9/11/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Tony,

I've never heard anyone mention that module before. I'll look into it, but it sound like that's exactly what Jon needs. "Edit Owner" is not one of the standard modules installed at Gallery setup, but it can still be found and downloaded at:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:Modules:editowner.html

The above page also contains some instructions and a link to some limited forum discussion:

http://galleryproject.org/node/106203

I see that using this "Edit Owner" function only applies to the album where it is assigned, not to to any sub-albums below it. The approach I was talking about, of creating an "editor" user allows all sub-albums to be included in the changed permissions of the top album.

-- J.R.

Miktrain _

Sep 11, 2022, 6:13:07 PM9/11/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Jon,
I only know of the codex location as per the link from JR

As JR said it only changes one level down but does all files and albums on that level, the files in any lower albums are not changed.
For what you want to do just login as an admin and create the album in her top-level album and add the files to it. Then go up and change the owner and "include all files" and you are done.
Your daughter will now own, and can edit the album and all files and set her permissions to it.

JR
Perhaps that module could be added to the GitHub listing.

Tony

Tony

Sep 11, 2022, 7:12:20 PM9/11/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think it would be good if Brad added this module to the GitHub repository, since it seems to play nice with Gallery v 3.15 under PHP 7.4 at least.

After playing with it a bit I think this is the way for people to go. The pictorial tutorial I was thinking of posting is actually a manual do-it-by-hand method of getting the same effect except for the addition that all albums below the one specified are also changed. But it's tricky to set up and probably opens more vulnerabilities which the "Edit Owner" module does not seem to do. I'm supposing that one could could also drop down to the next level of albums and use Edit Owner again to change them as well?

-- J.R.

Jon Schewe

Sep 11, 2022, 8:01:52 PM9/11/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the note that edit owner only goes 1 level down. I made the change at the top and the albums below it were updated, however pictures below those albums weren't. I went to each album that I had edited as the administrator and checked the box to change all albums and photos under the album and it worked quite nicely.

Jon Schewe

Sep 11, 2022, 8:03:07 PM9/11/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
I've granted add/edit/delete to each user for their top level album. Between the edit owner module and the fact that permissions are inherited appears to have taken care of everything for me.

Miktrain _

Sep 11, 2022, 11:28:40 PM9/11/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Glad to be of assistance.