Basket module - per album pricing not working.

John Stewart

May 18, 2021, 10:29:52 AM5/18/21
to Gallery 3 Users
A few months back and with some help from this forum, I managed to upgrade my gallery website to version 3.1.3 and all has been working well.

However, I've just encountered an issue with the basket module that wasn't there before.

Under product lines, I can configure all the different poroducts available and the prices. All this works well.

However for each album, you also have the option to choose a subset of products by clicking on Album, Options, Edit Album, and specify different prices.

This saves OK, and users see the modified selection of products and prices when clicking add to basket. However, when added to the basket and going to checkout, the prices are those of the "master" product list, and not the per-album pricing.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and have a suggestion on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

John

Brad Dutton

May 19, 2021, 1:15:55 AM5/19/21
to Gallery 3 Users
It doesn't look like this functionality ever worked. I made some changes which I think will fix the issue, download the updated module from here:

Disclaimer: Do your own testing on this module. I assume no responsibility and you use this code at your own risk.

J.R.

May 19, 2021, 2:29:33 AM5/19/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
It's great that Brad was able to hop on this and hopefully fix it. But in a more general way, I have to wonder about how advisable it is to run any kind of shopping site using Gallery3? I mean, for starters it was never designed for that in the first place -- Gallery 3 is an image gallery app -- Basket is a third-party add-on module that someone came up with a long time ago to add some purchasing capability to Gallery. And even though Brad has done a fine job of updating many critical functions to keep Gallery 3 working in a PHP 7+ environment, the core security-handling code for a store front/shopping cart has not been updated in over 7 years as far as I know.

Now, if the Basket site is only taking payments from an a armored, insulated payment app like PayPal -- so that no credit/debit card numbers and relevant data is being passed through Gallery3 or the Basket app -- that would probably still be workable. But if credit card numbers and other critical information is being provided, then I would think that using Gallery 3 for shopping/purchasing activity would not be a good idea at this point. There are literally hundreds of modern, dedicated store front/shopping cart apps available these days. One of those would likely be a better bet.

-- J.R.
--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/5f60e8bc-478c-4d76-bb8f-d59a8e3084b4n%40googlegroups.com.

John Stewart

May 19, 2021, 4:10:13 AM5/19/21
to Gallery 3 Users
Huge Thanks Brad! I'll certainly give this a try later today.

It certainly used to work before, but I perhaps had a modified version of the basket module that I was using.

J.R. - The module uses Paypal checkout and there's no info like credit card or even paypal address passed to or stored within gallery database. The only info is things like a persons name, email address and what they have ordered, which comes through as an email. After an order is complete, I then delete the record from the Gallery database so there's no third party data held online. Having said this, I have been actively looking at other options which could also integrate with a print shop to automate any print orders.

Best Regards

John

J.R.

May 19, 2021, 6:49:25 PM5/19/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
John,

I've never used the Basket module, so didn't know it uses PayPal. That's excellent -- but the fact that you're regularly deleting transaction records from the database does make things even safer. I only mentioned the way-out-of-date code issue because working in systems as I do I am painfully aware of just how sophisticated the hackers and crackers have become. I am constantly amazed to find shopping sites and online suppliers routinely asking for all of this sensitive data including credit card numbers and banking info and permanently storing it in their company system. That's just nuts these days. Heck, I used to think it was cool for the utility companies to have all of my financial data, but after the Colonial Pipeline Fiasco, one has to wonder. But since PayPal handles all the security details, if Basket is working for you  then there's no reason not to continue with it for now. If PayPal ever gets seriously hacked, then it's game over for pretty much everything anyway. :)

-- J.R.

www.collabro-group.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Collabro Ltd or associated companies in the Collabro Group.. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error and delete it from your system.

WARNING: Although Collabro has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments; our  company email is monitored for lawful business purposes.  Collabro accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.

Collabro Ltd. is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered number: SC257810. Registered office: Union Plaza (6th Floor),1 Union Wynd, Aberdeen AB101DQ.

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.

Jeroen ten Kate

May 20, 2021, 11:53:09 AM5/20/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
John,

Have you seen (or even tried) the Basket_plus module? I've made a lot of improvements (IMHO) to the original module many years ago. Can't tell from my head if I fixed the problem you encountered, but maybe the other changes are worth looking at.

Cheers,
Jeroen

J.R.

May 20, 2021, 3:25:31 PM5/20/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Jeroen,

It's really good to know that you've continued to work on the Basket _plus module over the years. Thanks!

 -- J.R.

John Stewart

May 20, 2021, 8:44:48 PM5/20/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeroen,

no - I've not looked at the basket plus module. I didn't have time yesterday to look at Brad's updated version, so will do that this weekend. I'll also have a look at the basket plus version.

Is there a post somewhere highlighting the main differences and improvements?

Thanks

John

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/CAPFNwccSo5xO-TYP8xZ_s8Xo4-hvEpfaxU0oCGTShadHcPWZ%2BA%40mail.gmail.com.

Jeroen ten Kate

May 24, 2021, 5:13:23 PM5/24/21
to gallery...@googlegroups.com