Re: Digest for gale-audio@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Simon Yearwood

Sep 21, 2020, 2:45:29 AM9/21/20
to gale-...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 01:00, <gale-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Incredible ! Well done.

gale-...@googlegroups.com

Google Groups

al <alki...@gmail.com>: Sep 20 03:55PM -0700

Well, it turns out that an oscilloscope is an extremely useful tool for the

controller. With Howie's schematics you can trace what bit is non

functional: in my case the variable frequency generator on board 3. I

replaced the IC but that didn't work. So checked the power in and the -10v

rail was off. It comes through a resistor, which had failed. Replacing that

made everything work!

I also thought everyone might be interested in seeing the wow and flutter

trace and the corresponding voltage fluctuation in the drive to the motor,

which is surprisingly big (given that 33.3 is coded by 1.2v and 45 by 1.5v:

the variation is up to 0.1v!). The optical feedback loop is working hard

and I think the motor would be pretty ropey without it... The flutter is

typical of a direct drive: what is interesting is the biggest variation x1

per revolution, seen in both the wow/flutter graph and the voltage trace.

Can't make it go away however much I clean the disc: must be something

mechanical. Figures still excellent though...

On Monday, 24 August 2020 20:48:22 UTC+1, al wrote:

al <alki...@gmail.com>: Sep 20 03:56PM -0700

Well, it turns out that an oscilloscope is an extremely useful tool for the

controller. With Howie's schematics you can trace what bit is non

functional: in my case the variable frequency generator on board 3. I

replaced the IC but that didn't work. So checked the power in and the -10v

rail was off. It comes through a resistor, which had failed. Replacing that

made everything work!

I also thought everyone might be interested in seeing the wow and flutter

trace and the corresponding voltage fluctuation in the drive to the motor,

which is surprisingly big (given that 33.3 is coded by 1.2v and 45 by 1.5v:

the variation is up to 0.3v!). The optical feedback loop is working hard

and I think the motor would be pretty ropey without it... The flutter is

typical of a direct drive: what is interesting is the biggest variation x1

per revolution, seen in both the wow/flutter graph and the voltage trace.

Can't make it go away however much I clean the disc: must be something

mechanical. Figures still excellent though...

On Monday, 24 August 2020 20:48:22 UTC+1, al wrote:

al <alki...@gmail.com>: Sep 20 04:15PM -0700

.... and I just realised: the schematics are from Markus, not Howie. They

are what got me out of the hole. Thanks Markus!

Markus Alber

Sep 21, 2020, 5:07:32 AM9/21/20
to gale-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Al end all the GALE-enthusiasts, thanks for the interesting measurements. Glad my schematics were of some help, sorry for my awful scribbling and possible mistakes, as always I was in a hurry, still intend to redraw them in eagle, but unfortunately no time so far…..
All the best  Markus

Jack Ward

Oct 17, 2020, 10:39:14 AM10/17/20
to gale-...@googlegroups.com