efricas and fricas path

Grégory Vanuxem

Apr 26, 2021, 1:51:40 AM4/26/21
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I wonder why in my WSL installation of FriCAS (from github)
in the script 'efricas' FRICASCMD points to /usr/local/lib/X86_64/bin/fricas
but in my installation 'fricas' fricas' is located in /usr/local/bin.

Any idea why?

Ralf Hemmecke

Apr 26, 2021, 4:21:03 AM4/26/21
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Maybe, because the Makefile says so? ;-)

The other answer is that you should not care
/usr/local/lib/X86_64/bin/fricas and /usr/bin/fricas should be identical.

In my case the identical files are

/home/hemmecke/software/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/fricas

and

/home/hemmecke/software/bin/fricas

and efricas says

FRICASCMD='/home/hemmecke/software/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/fricas'

So be relaxed.

Ralf

Grégory Vanuxem

Apr 26, 2021, 5:04:18 AM4/26/21
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
:)

Just that no longer works in fact ;)

> Ralf

Ralf Hemmecke

Apr 26, 2021, 6:47:08 AM4/26/21
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On 26.04.21 11:04, Grégory Vanuxem wrote:
> Le lun. 26 avr. 2021 à 10:21, Ralf Hemmecke <ra...@hemmecke.org> a écrit :
>>
>> On 26.04.21 07:51, Grégory Vanuxem wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I wonder why in my WSL installation of FriCAS (from github)
>>> in the script 'efricas' FRICASCMD points to /usr/local/lib/X86_64/bin/fricas
>>> but in my installation 'fricas' fricas' is located in /usr/local/bin.
>>>
>>> Any idea why?
>>
>> Maybe, because the Makefile says so? ;-)
>>
>> The other answer is that you should not care
>> /usr/local/lib/X86_64/bin/fricas and /usr/bin/fricas should be identical.
>>
>> In my case the identical files are
>>
>> /home/hemmecke/software/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/fricas
>>
>> and
>>
>> /home/hemmecke/software/bin/fricas
>>
>> and efricas says
>>
>> FRICASCMD='/home/hemmecke/software/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/fricas'
>>
>> So be relaxed.
>
> :)
>
> Just that no longer works in fact ;)

Oh, I haven't seen a bug report, just that something points to some
other place. Do you have something under /usr/local/lib/X86_64?
Actually, I wonder why it is capital X in your case.
Since I have no WSL, I cannot help. Sorry.

Ralf

Waldek Hebisch

Apr 26, 2021, 7:25:00 AM4/26/21
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
I do not know why the specific path. However, 'efricas' is supposed
to use internal copy of 'fricas' script. This is because installed
command can be renamed and 'efricas' has no way of knowing if/how
user renamed installed 'fricas'. OTOH internal script is in
version specific subdirectory and should be always available via
configure path.

The path you gave looks fishy, it should be something like

/path/to/fricas/lib/dir/target/platform/bin

Where by default '/path/to/fricas/lib/dir' is '/usr/local/lib/fricas'
and 'platform' is name of platform in 'configure' (I have no idea
what platform name is used by WSL).

--
Waldek Hebisch

Grégory Vanuxem

Apr 26, 2021, 6:24:26 PM4/26/21
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think I spotted the problem. The script 'fricas' in:
/usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/
is not usable as it is, it's the same script then the one in /usr/local/bin
(try directly the one in /usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/).

Since now FRICAS environment variable is defined in this script it
should be different in
/usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/

These two scripts define FRICAS as:
FRICAS="`dirname $0`/../lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu"
This is only correct for the script in /usr/local/bin

So for example redefine FRICAS to "`dirname $0`/.." and that's good!
(just tested with efricas).

Le lun. 26 avr. 2021 à 13:25, Waldek Hebisch

Grégory Vanuxem

Apr 26, 2021, 6:35:55 PM4/26/21
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Le lun. 26 avr. 2021 à 12:47, Ralf Hemmecke <ra...@hemmecke.org> a écrit :

> Oh, I haven't seen a bug report, just that something points to some
> other place. Do you have something under /usr/local/lib/X86_64?
> Actually, I wonder why it is capital X in your case.

My error, see my previous mail to Waldek. Apologize.

> Since I have no WSL, I cannot help. Sorry.

It's Kali Linux in it, a Debian based system, a pure Linux with ELF
binaries etc. via an emulation layer.