function "asList" in as.boot not used anywhere?

Qian Yun

Apr 5, 2024, 9:41:05 PMApr 5
to fricas-devel
Seems like function "asList" in as.boot is not used anywhere?
Can it be removed then?

- Qian

Waldek Hebisch

Apr 5, 2024, 10:06:51 PMApr 5
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 06, 2024 at 09:40:59AM +0800, Qian Yun wrote:
> Seems like function "asList" in as.boot is not used anywhere?

Yes, looks so.

> Can it be removed then?

Probably. I admit that did little work on 'as.boot'. It is used
to get info from Aldor compiled files into databases and otherwise
unused. So it is untestable without Aldor. I personally do not use
Aldor and building Aldor on my main machine either did not work or
was quite inconvenient. So I was very conservative with respect
to 'as.boot', main thing was to avoid breakage as that could remain
undetected for longer time.

Having said this, removal of 'asList' looks resonable safe.

--
Waldek Hebisch

Qian Yun

Apr 5, 2024, 10:32:31 PMApr 5
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
OK, just build successfully with Aldor without this function.

Will commit later.

- Qian

Ralf Hemmecke

Apr 6, 2024, 2:44:02 AMApr 6
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On 4/6/24 04:32, Qian Yun wrote:
> OK, just build successfully with Aldor without this function.

Obviously already too late since you have committed the removal, but
removing asList seems safe for now.
There is seemingly even no callback from Aldor.

aldor:master>grep -Ri 'asList' *
aldor/aldor/lib/java/src/foamj/Clos.java:
//System.out.println("(Calling: " + fn.getName() + " " +
Arrays.asList(vals));

The Java stuff was added after Aldor became open source and looks
irrelevant.

Ralf