Question about the algorithm

Alex Chen

Jul 22, 2020, 8:16:08 AM7/22/20
to frePPLe users
Dear Johan and other friends:
I read the description about the planning algorithm frepple uses and have some questions.
In my view, the heuristic algorithm frepple implements in community version can give a feasible solution for the demands but more optimization techniques that can give better solutions are absent.But I am not sure about this opinion.
So, does frepple have any more advanced or more modern optimization technique to find a better solution after the initial feasible solution plan is given?(maybe in enterprise version).
Another question is whether DBR rules are taken into consideration in frepple.(also maybe in enterprise version).
Thanks.

jdetaeye

Jul 22, 2020, 12:25:54 PM7/22/20
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Most of our customers are just outgrowing an excel based planning process. Frepple's heuristic solver creates amore than decent plan for them.

Where needed we implement customizations to further optimize the plan for specific situations. We have customers across many industries and there is no one-size-fits-all optimizer. It's part of the implementation services we offer.

Frepple doesn't implement the textbook bdr algorithm, but when parametrized correctly you will get a plan that aligns well with bdr concepts.

Regards,

Johan

Alex Chen

Jul 24, 2020, 3:33:26 AM7/24/20
to frePPLe users
Hi Johan
It seems that the planner in community version just implements a search algorithm based on the greedy strategy.
Is this right?
Maybe some optimization techniques are used when dealing with the setup changeover.

Johan De Taeye

Jul 24, 2020, 3:43:10 AM7/24/20
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
>>It seems that the planner in community version just implements a search
>>algorithm based on the greedy strategy.
>>Is this right?

Yes

>>Maybe some optimization techniques are used when dealing with the setup
>>changeover.

In the Enterprise Edition, yes. Not in Community Edition.

Johan De Taeye
Mob: +32 477.385.362
Skype: jdetaeye
Visit us at https://frepple.com

Oct 26, 2020, 5:21:38 AM10/26/20
to frePPLe users
Can anyone recommend some articles on the algorithms used? Preferably something high level?

Johan De Taeye

Oct 26, 2020, 5:58:54 AM10/26/20
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Here is the documentation we have: https://frepple.org/docs/current/developer-guide/planning-algorithm.php

Stay safe,

Johan De Taeye

Mob: +32 477.385.362

Skype: jdetaeye

Visit us at https://frepple.com

Dmitry Oxenenko

Oct 26, 2020, 6:00:51 AM10/26/20
to frePPLe users
Ah, it IS in the documentation. I was searching for it in the Execute Screen section.

Thanks!

Johan De Taeye

Oct 26, 2020, 7:39:43 AM10/26/20
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

I’ll add a link to it from the execute screen section…