Range_ticks, showif questions

Sophie Amélie

Jan 27, 2019, 8:45:05 AM1/27/19
to fo...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

I got three questions and I hope you can answer them. Thanks for your replies before - I was able to fix all of that.

1.       If I use “range_ticks 1,5,1”, the answer is always already selected (3) when I am filling out the questionnaire. This doesn’t happen with “mc” for example. Is there a way to use range_ticks without this?

2.       The show-if function only works with numbers i.e. i1 == 1 and not with i1 == Yes. Is there a possibility to have the underlying code like i1 == 1 but in the survey Yes would be displayed?

3.       I piloted my survey with real people. I predetermined everything (start, every reminder etc.). So, the study would run from Friday morning until Saturday evening. Each questionnaire should expire after 110 minutes.  One person started the study Monday and was able to participate. After they filled out the first of five questionnaires and submitted it they immediately had to fill out the next four questionnaires for the day. Is there a way to avoid this? This happens sometimes if they register after the first questionnaire was sent.

Thank you for your help,

Sophie

Matthias P. Walther

Jan 28, 2019, 2:08:51 AM1/28/19
to fo...@googlegroups.com

Hello Sophie,

1.       If I use “range_ticks 1,5,1”, the answer is always already selected (3) when I am filling out the questionnaire. This doesn’t happen with “mc” for example. Is there a way to use range_ticks without this?

I think, we've recently spoken about this. There was a discussion on here, I just can't find it anymore. As far as I remember, that's not possible yet. You would have to add some JavaScript code to achieve this.

The choices of multiple-choice questions are numbered. See rows 8 and 9 as an example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vXJ8sbkh0p4pM5xNqOelRUmslcq2IHnY9o52RmQLKFw/edit#gid=1611481919

3.       I piloted my survey with real people. I predetermined everything (start, every reminder etc.). So, the study would run from Friday morning until Saturday evening. Each questionnaire should expire after 110 minutes.  One person started the study Monday and was able to participate. After they filled out the first of five questionnaires and submitted it they immediately had to fill out the next four questionnaires for the day. Is there a way to avoid this? This happens sometimes if they register after the first questionnaire was sent.

Hard to say what went wrong without the run configuration. Maybe you could export and upload it somewhere? If it reveals too much of your study, just remove the texts.

Best,
Matthias

signature.asc

Ruben Arslan

Jan 28, 2019, 3:39:36 AM1/28/19
to Matthias P. Walther, fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sophie,

in addition to Matthias' comments.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 8:08 AM Matthias P. Walther <m.wa...@wwu.de> wrote:

Hello Sophie,

1.       If I use “range_ticks 1,5,1”, the answer is always already selected (3) when I am filling out the questionnaire. This doesn’t happen with “mc” for example. Is there a way to use range_ticks without this?

I think, we've recently spoken about this. There was a discussion on here, I just can't find it anymore. As far as I remember, that's not possible yet. You would have to add some JavaScript code to achieve this.

We have the class "analogue_rating_scale" which I've used before as a sort of slider without the knob.
When I've checked the relevant research, it seems default values on sliders don't hurt validity (surprised me too).
Buskirk, T. D. (2015). Are Sliders Too Slick for Surveys? An Experiment Comparing Slider and Radio Button Scales for Smartphone, Tablet and Computer Based Surveys. Methods, Data, Analyses, 9(2), 32. doi:10.12758/mda.2015.013

Funke, F., Reips, U.-D., & Thomas, R. K. (2010). Sliders for the Smart: Type of Rating Scale on the Web Interacts With Educational Level. Social Science Computer Review, 29(2), 221–231. doi:10.1177/0894439310376896

Roster, C. A., Lucianetti, L., & Albaum, G. (2015). Exploring Slider vs. Categorical Response Formats in Web-Based Surveys. Journal of Research Practice, 11(1), 1. Retrieved from http://jrp.icaap.org/index.php/jrp/article/view/509/413

but yeah, if it's more commonly desired, we could either improve our analogue_rating_scale or add some custom js to the slider. Personally, I have never seen a benefit for using sliders, but I'm sure it depends.

2.       The show-if function only works with numbers i.e. i1 == 1 and not with i1 == Yes. Is there a possibility to have the underlying code like i1 == 1 but in the survey Yes would be displayed?

The choices of multiple-choice questions are numbered. See rows 8 and 9 as an example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vXJ8sbkh0p4pM5xNqOelRUmslcq2IHnY9o52RmQLKFw/edit#gid=1611481919

M. is correct, but you can also do named multiple choices by using the choices sheet. If you use yes as the value, the proper way to compare would be
i1 == "yes"
(with quotation marks).

3.       I piloted my survey with real people. I predetermined everything (start, every reminder etc.). So, the study would run from Friday morning until Saturday evening. Each questionnaire should expire after 110 minutes.  One person started the study Monday and was able to participate. After they filled out the first of five questionnaires and submitted it they immediately had to fill out the next four questionnaires for the day. Is there a way to avoid this? This happens sometimes if they register after the first questionnaire was sent.

Hard to say what went wrong without the run configuration. Maybe you could export and upload it somewhere? If it reveals too much of your study, just remove the texts.

Agreed. Sounds like you need a pause.

Best,
Matthias

Sophie Amélie

Jan 28, 2019, 6:40:28 AM1/28/19
to Ruben Arslan, Matthias P. Walther, fo...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
question 1+2 have been answered, thanks you!
Regarding question 3, my run looked the following way:
1. Email (time to register was from the 16th - 17th)
2. Pause (until 18.01, 8 am)
3. Pause (18.01 9 am)
4. Reminder
5. Survey
XX. Survey (last survey for the second day, 5pm)
XX. Pause (20.01., 10 am)
XX. Stop

There are already pauses and a stop at the end.

I am still able to take part in the study, even though every pause is set to a date and time point.

Is there another possible explanation? Or can I configure something, so this cannot happen?
Best,
Sophie

Ruben Arslan

Jan 28, 2019, 6:52:35 AM1/28/19
to Sophie Amélie, Matthias P. Walther, fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sophie,

if you set a date on a pause, it means "on this date or later", not "only on this date".
Does this clarify things? If you want an access window for your study, either disable new sign ups in the run
or put an access window in the run (see Import).

Best wishes,

Ruben

ronja...@gmx.de

Jul 26, 2022, 6:24:04 AM7/26/22
to formr
Hi Ruben, hi Matthias,

it has been some time since this question has been asked but I wanted to follow up on quiestion 1. Is there by now a possibility to use a rating scale (preferrably range_ticks) without default values? Under widgets I can't find the analogue_rating_scale and formr also gives me an error message when I try to use it in my excel sheet. I know you cited some research that default values don't hurt but it still is one of the main concern of my recent reviews... It would be great if there was a way to have the default values disabled. Otherwise, is there a possibility to force participants to at least click on the scale once? Otherwise they would not need to answer any of the questions and could just jump to the next page, which is what I am trying to avoid...

Best
Ronja

Ruben Arslan

Jul 27, 2022, 1:27:01 AM7/27/22
to ronja...@gmx.de, formr
Hi, the analogue_rating_scale can be found in this sheet:
There haven't been further developments I'm aware of.