I wanted to know if there are any plans to support vulkan?

Johnny Black

Jan 15, 2022, 3:59:59 AM1/15/22
to fltk.general

Hi I wanted to know if there are any plans to support vulkan as well, as it has better performance?

Ian MacArthur

Jan 15, 2022, 6:33:40 AM1/15/22
to Fltk General
On 15 Jan 2022, at 08:19, Johnny Black wrote:

> Hi I wanted to know if there are any plans to support vulkan as well, as it has better performance?

Plans is one thing - resources is another (i.e. folks able to work on that.)

Patches welcome...

Johnny Black

Jan 15, 2022, 7:50:50 AM1/15/22
to fltk.general
I see thanks

Rob McDonald

Jan 15, 2022, 1:48:43 PM1/15/22
to fltk.general
On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 12:59:59 AM UTC-8 wrote:

Hi I wanted to know if there are any plans to support vulkan as well, as it has better performance?

What kind of support did you have in mind?  Using Vulkan as a fundamental drawing back end?  Or supporting a Vulkan environment such that an application that needed a GUI provided by FLTK and a 3D graphics window provided by Vulkan would work?

I suspect the former is not going to be worth anyone's time any time soon.  However, I also suspect that the latter is probably much more straightforward.  This is essentially the way OpenGL is supported today.

Rob

janezz55

Jan 16, 2022, 1:51:01 PM1/16/22
to fltk.general
The sad thing is, that if the graphics driver API (along with other driver APIs) was less ad-hoc and better thought-out, it would have made FLTK very powerful. As it is, you have lots of demo graphics drivers, that are IMO pretty much useless, as none work 100% correctly. AFAIK, there will always be some quirks.

janezz55

Jan 16, 2022, 1:51:05 PM1/16/22
to fltk.general
You better start coding. It seems easy at first, until you see that it isn't. Even FLTK-provided graphics drivers don't work 100% correctly (for example, the cairo driver), there are a lot of details you'll have to go over.