fltk1.3/1.4 docking widget/floating windows

Gonzalo Garramuno

Sep 22, 2022, 5:49:19 PM9/22/22
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
I know this was discussed in the past, but not sure what came of it. I am looking to add a docking group/floating window to my application. That is, while the dock is not a floating window, it should be able to be resized from one of the sides and pack the other contents around it. I am looking for at least that.

A plus would be a dock widget that can transform into a floating window when it is dragged from its titlebar, like those seen in Visual Studio.

Gonzalo Garramuno
ggar...@gmail.com

lifeatt...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2022, 6:19:22 PM9/22/22
to fltk.general
I've had good success with https://www.fltk.org/links.php?V326+Q : "A dockable toolbar demo".
- floating windows
- can be docked, un-docked
- can float outside the main window
a good screenshot is shown. Originally for FLTK 1.0, I've been using it with FLTK 1.4.

I've not pushed it for left/right side docking, it works well for top docking.

imm

Sep 23, 2022, 5:26:36 AM9/23/22
to General FLTK
On Thu, 22 Sept 2022 at 23:19, lifeattickville wrote:

> I've had good success with https://www.fltk.org/links.php?V326+Q : "A dockable toolbar demo".
> - floating windows
> - can be docked, un-docked
> - can float outside the main window
>
> Accessible via the internet archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20180722213126/http://www.9edgedown.talktalk.net/dock_grp.html where
> a good screenshot is shown. Originally for FLTK 1.0, I've been using it with FLTK 1.4.
>
> I've not pushed it for left/right side docking, it works well for top docking.

Wow, I'd pretty much forgotten that - the website it was on has long
since gone, but the wayback machine still has it; I'm not sure I have
any local copies now though...!

That was a long time ago - I'm vaguely surprised (though pleased) that
it still works with fltk-1.4. That's backwards compatibility for the
win, right there!

Rob McDonald

Sep 23, 2022, 1:29:37 PM9/23/22
to fltk.general
I would love to see someone resurrect this as a modern GitHub project.

There may be enough people interested in this kind of capability that it could move from primitive to sophisticated fairly quickly.  We at least want to capture any tweaks required to get it build with modern FLTK and make it available without the internet archive's heroics.

Rob

Ian MacArthur

Sep 26, 2022, 3:59:25 AM9/26/22
to fltk.general
If someone wants to pick that up (Rob, anyone?) and drop it on GH, then I'm happy to assign the code to them if they want it.
I probably won't have time myself, though, FWIW.

Mo_Al_

Sep 26, 2022, 5:10:25 PM9/26/22
to fltk.general
Hi Ian

I'll add it to GH. I'll also eventually add a CMakeLists.txt and some instructions on how to incorporate it into an existing FLTK project. I had to fix an int cast to void pointer which was signaled by the warnings to errors flag in the makefile.
I would also like to eventually provide a Rust crate using your code :)

Mo_Al_

Sep 26, 2022, 5:38:56 PM9/26/22
to fltk.general
https://github.com/MoAlyousef/FLTK_Dockable_Group

If you have any remarks regarding the reorganization of the code, please let me know. I tried to separate it into a library and example code.

Ian MacArthur

Sep 27, 2022, 6:45:42 AM9/27/22
to fltk.general
On Monday, 26 September 2022 at 22:38:56 UTC+1 Mo_Al_ wrote:
https://github.com/MoAlyousef/FLTK_Dockable_Group

If you have any remarks regarding the reorganization of the code, please let me know. I tried to separate it into a library and example code.

Hi Mo,
I'll try and take a look - but it might not be soon!

In any case, the "old" code was pretty much a hack, so any changes you make are likely to be improvements!

Cheers...