Wayland problem.

david allen

Mar 24, 2024, 3:28:17 PMMar 24
to fltk.general
My project uses fltk 1.4 and Cairo. As I understand it, Wayland is technologically superior to X11 and is now supported by both fltk and Cairo. So I would like to use it.

I recently upgraded my OS to Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. This OS has -experimental- support for Wayland that one activates before login. However, this blocked my administrative privileges. Tried another computer, same setup, same result.

I recognize this is not a fltk problem, I post this just in case someone  knows a work around. Does Debian fully support Wayland?

Manolo

Mar 24, 2024, 4:03:40 PMMar 24
to fltk.general
Le dimanche 24 mars 2024 à 20:28:17 UTC+1, roxbur...@qx.net a écrit :
Does Debian fully support Wayland?

Yes it does.

Gonzalo Garramulo

Mar 24, 2024, 5:33:12 PMMar 24
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com

El 24/3/24 a las 16:28, david allen escribió:
lt.

I recognize this is not a fltk problem, I post this just in case someone  knows a work around. Does Debian fully support Wayland?

Do you have an NVidia graphics card by any chance?

The reason is that Nvidia drivers for Rocky Linux, Ubuntu and I imagine Debian too have limitations with Wayland compared to X11. This might be due to incomplete Wayland support or ongoing development for Nvidia GPUs.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon as RedHat 9 will be a Wayland only system.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
ggar...@gmail.com

Albrecht Schlosser

Mar 24, 2024, 6:44:36 PMMar 24
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 3/24/24 20:28 david allen wrote:
> I recently upgraded my OS to Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. This OS has
> -experimental- support for Wayland that one activates before login.
> However, this blocked my administrative privileges. Tried another
> computer, same setup, same result.

Hmm, I wonder what you mean with "administrative privileges". One of the
"superior features" of Wayland is, for instance, that the user 'root'
can't (easily, if at all) run GUI programs ("security" reasons).
However, if you need root privileges you could either use `sudo` for a
single command or `sudo su` to "become" root in a terminal. I used older
versions of Linux Mint (19 and 20 IIRC) and this always worked well.

> I recognize this is not a fltk problem, I post this just in case
> someone  knows a work around.

You could try to install and run `weston` in your usual X11 environment.
This worked already in Mint 20. Weston opens a window that provides a
Wayland compositor (server) under the running X11 environment. You may
need some commandline switches (man weston) to set an appropriate window
size. This is how I tested FLTK with Wayland when I was still using
Linux Mint.

> Does Debian fully support Wayland?

Yep, as others said already. I'm using Debian 12 aka "Bookworm" for my
daily work including FLTK development under a Gnome/Wayland desktop
environment but you can also use KDE or maybe other DE's.

This mail was written using Thunderbird (in X11 mode), using XWayland
under Gnome/Wayland on Debian 12.

david allen

Mar 24, 2024, 8:23:06 PMMar 24
to fltk.general
Thank you all for your help. This gives me somethings to try.

I am using an NVidia card.

By "administrative privileges" I specifically mean installing programs via the package manager. I never become super user. I always use sudo with apt.