Grid Container Progress

Webb Hinton

Sep 14, 2021, 4:43:21 PM9/14/21
to fltk.general
Any progress on the Grid container widget? Was the https://github.com/osen/FL_Flex not found to be satisfactory?

Albrecht Schlosser

Sep 19, 2021, 7:51:31 AM9/19/21
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 9/14/21 10:43 PM Webb Hinton wrote:
Any progress on the Grid container widget? Was the https://github.com/osen/FL_Flex not found to be satisfactory?

No, there's no real progress. The Fl_Flex widget is IMHO not feature-complete and it uses (IIRC) std::vector which we can't use in FLTK.

Making a solid row/column (or grid) widget will take some time. It should be much better (usable) than Fl_Pack and needs a flexible API from the beginning which can't be developed in a few hours/days. But if we add a new widget it should have an API that is ready to go and (almost) feature-complete. It's hard to do it right.

If you're interested in a quick solution you could use either Fl_Pack or Fl_Flex, whichever satisfies your needs.

For a long-term solution please watch the two related GitHub issues. Progress will show up there:

Add a flexible row/column container widget #255

Consider to add a simple grid container widget #256