FYI/RFC: GitHub Issue Templates

Albrecht Schlosser

Sep 28, 2022, 11:58:51 AM9/28/22
to fltk.coredev
Hi FLTK devs,

in commit 283184a09a36 I added GitHub Issue Templates which are intended to guide users (and other devs) to fill in the correct and required informations when creating an issue:

commit 283184a09a360724a61b9e256c16f799a73cf405

    Add GitHub Issue Templates

    - bug_report.md: template for bug reports
    - feature_request.md: template for feature requests
    - fltk-build-or-usage-question.md: not really a template [1]

    [1] Explain to users that this is the wrong place to ask user
        questions and refer them to fltk.general

These templates may not yet be complete, and maybe there are some issues (pun intended) that should be fixed. This is an attempt to improve our GitHub issues and guide users not to ask user questions in "GitHub Issues".

To see what this means and how it works, please go to our GitHub site, click on "Issues" and then on "New Issue" or go directly to:
https://github.com/fltk/fltk/issues/new/choose

The template files reside in the FLTK git repository in:
.github/ISSUE_TEMPLATE/
├── bug_report.md
├── feature_request.md
└── fltk-build-or-usage-question.md

and can be edited by all devs with write access to the FLTK repo.

All feedback would be appreciated. If you (native English speakers) notice typos or wording issues, please feel free to report this here or update the files directly.

Thanks
Albrecht

Manolo

Sep 29, 2022, 3:50:53 AM9/29/22
to fltk.coredev
Le mercredi 28 septembre 2022 à 17:58:51 UTC+2, Albrecht Schlosser a écrit :
Hi FLTK devs,

in commit 283184a09a36 I added GitHub Issue Templates which are intended to guide users (and other devs) to fill in the correct and required informations when creating an issue:

That's great.

I would replace, in bug_report.md,
- Installed system version from: [e.g. Debian 11.4 Bullseye]
by
- Installed as package from: [e.g. Debian 11.4 Bullseye]
to make that question more distinct from the other one below:
- OS Version: [e.g. Ubuntu 20.04, macOS 12.6, Windows 11]

Also, I'm very much against using !, especially in a "Please …" sentence.
So, I would like to suggest to remove the final ! there :
Please use our FLTK discussions group (forum) fltk.general for your question!

Manolo

imacarthur

Sep 29, 2022, 4:20:52 AM9/29/22
to fltk.coredev
On Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 08:50:53 UTC+1 Manolo wrote:
Le mercredi 28 septembre 2022 à 17:58:51 UTC+2, Albrecht Schlosser a écrit :
Hi FLTK devs,

in commit 283184a09a36 I added GitHub Issue Templates which are intended to guide users (and other devs) to fill in the correct and required informations when creating an issue:

That's great.

I would replace, in bug_report.md,
- Installed system version from: [e.g. Debian 11.4 Bullseye]
by
- Installed as package from: [e.g. Debian 11.4 Bullseye]
to make that question more distinct from the other one below:
- OS Version: [e.g. Ubuntu 20.04, macOS 12.6, Windows 11]

I think Manolo's suggestion is clearer. (Only time will tell what users think.)

Also, I'm very much against using !, especially in a "Please …" sentence.
So, I would like to suggest to remove the final ! there :
Please use our FLTK discussions group (forum) fltk.general for your question!

Again, I think I agree - use of the exclamation mark ! always seems a bit "informal" to me and might not be appropriate in a "official form", as it were.

Albrecht Schlosser

Sep 30, 2022, 12:24:09 PM9/30/22
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com
On 9/29/22 10:20 imacarthur wrote:
On Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 08:50:53 UTC+1 Manolo wrote:

I would replace, in bug_report.md,
- Installed system version from: [e.g. Debian 11.4 Bullseye]
by
- Installed as package from: [e.g. Debian 11.4 Bullseye]
to make that question more distinct from the other one below:
- OS Version: [e.g. Ubuntu 20.04, macOS 12.6, Windows 11]

I think Manolo's suggestion is clearer. (Only time will tell what users think.)

Thanks, Manolo and Ian, for your comments.

Also, I'm very much against using !, especially in a "Please …" sentence.
So, I would like to suggest to remove the final ! there :
Please use our FLTK discussions group (forum) fltk.general for your question!

Again, I think I agree - use of the exclamation mark ! always seems a bit "informal" to me and might not be appropriate in a "official form", as it were.

Points taken, committed in bb6072ad8290.