Fluid documentation question

Albrecht Schlosser

May 17, 2021, 7:42:02 AM5/17/21
to fltk.coredev
Need an English lesson: ;-)

Docs and code say:

"Set the rotation about the horizontal (x) axis."

My gut feeling is "around" rather than "about", but I'm not a native English speaker.

Help, anybody?

imm

May 17, 2021, 7:50:17 AM5/17/21
to coredev fltk
Geometry lessons always described rotation about the axis, and that seems to be the accepted norm.

Even if "around" seems more sensible from the usual sense of the words...

TBH I suspect we could say either and no one would mind!
--
Ian
From my Fairphone FP3

Albrecht Schlosser

May 17, 2021, 8:23:32 AM5/17/21
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com
On 5/17/21 1:50 PM imm wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021, 12:42 Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
Need an English lesson: ;-)

Docs and code say:

"Set the rotation about the horizontal (x) axis."

My gut feeling is "around" rather than "about", but I'm not a native English speaker.

Help, anybody?

Geometry lessons always described rotation about the axis, and that seems to be the accepted norm.

Okay, then I'll keep "about".

Even if "around" seems more sensible from the usual sense of the words...

I've seen both terms even in one article on Wikipedia.

TBH I suspect we could say either and no one would mind!

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply.

Lesson learned. ;-)