fltk 1.4.x: all apps give "XOpenIM() failed"

Greg Ercolano

Apr 27, 2024, 11:55:36 AMApr 27
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if I should report this, or if my workstation's gone bananas,
but all the fltk apps (test programs, fluid..) built with default cmake
gives this warning in the terminal on my Ubuntu 20.04.6 box.

Seems to happen in my app (which uses no input) during the call to window->show().

Seems this is a warning that goes waaaaay back, but I didn't see a resolution exactly.

Greg Ercolano

Apr 27, 2024, 12:35:06 PMApr 27
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com

    Adding some extra info, as it seems like locale can sometimes come into this warning:

$ echo $LANG
en_US.utf8

$ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

$ /usr/local/src/fltk-1.4.x.git/build/bin/test/hello
XOpenIM() failed

    Also, if I change LANG to just "C", I still get the warnings:
$ export LANG=C

$ locale

LANG=C
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

$ /usr/local/src/fltk-1.4.x.git/build/bin/test/hello
XOpenIM() failed

    In new terminals I get the same warning as well.

    I'm thinking it's an issue with the workstation, perhaps a recent update or some such.
    Might need a reboot or something.

Greg Ercolano

Apr 27, 2024, 9:30:08 PMApr 27
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com

On 4/27/24 09:35, Greg Ercolano wrote:

    I'm thinking it's an issue with the workstation, perhaps a recent update or some such.
    Might need a reboot or something.

    Ha, rebooting did actually fix it.

    I probably installed an OS update that rearranged the locale files
    but held off on the post-update reboot, perhaps causing the problem.

Gonzalo Garramuño

Apr 27, 2024, 9:54:09 PMApr 27
to fltkc...@googlegroups.com

On 4/27/2024 12:55 PM, Greg Ercolano wrote:
> Not sure if I should report this, or if my workstation's gone bananas,
> but all the fltk apps (test programs, fluid..) built with default cmake
> gives this warning in the terminal on my Ubuntu 20.04.6 box.
One thing to note: I get this warning on Wayland with XWayland (ie.
export FLTK_BACKEND=x11).

Gonzalo Garramuño
ggar...@gmail.com