Obituary

Matthew Lai

Aug 26, 2022, 6:00:53 PM8/26/22
to Flow Based Programming
I have to share the sad news that our friend Mr. J Paul Morrison has passed away on Jun 16th 2022. His obituary in the TorontoStar: https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/thestar/name/j-morrison-obituary?pid=202226106

Dion Bridger

Aug 29, 2022, 7:10:55 AM8/29/22
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
I only ever interacted with Mr. Morrison very briefly even though the ideas from his book informed a substantial part of the the design of a project I've been intensively developing for the past two years.
I regret that I never expressed this to him directly. RIP.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 12:00 AM Matthew Lai <mm...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
I have to share the sad news that our friend Mr. J Paul Morrison has passed away on Jun 16th 2022. His obituary in the TorontoStar: https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/thestar/name/j-morrison-obituary?pid=202226106

Ruud Steltenpool

Nov 3, 2022, 8:17:02 AM11/3/22
to Flow Based Programming
I looked him up once at his side of the ocean. Was a great conversation. I won't forget.

The world can get a lot more value from FBP (not only from techies, but also from good coordinators/managers) so keep up the good work everybody.

FBP has  a reasonable Wikipedia page, where he is of course mentioned. I wonder if he should have his own wikipedia page. Any ideas?

ComFreek

Aug 7, 2023, 8:31:21 PM8/7/23
to Flow Based Programming
I am saddened to hear about Paul's death. Years ago I collaborated with him on his JavaScript library of the FBP paradigm. His adamant enthusiasm in spreading the FBP paradigm, educating about it, and developing corresponding language support libraries will be missed!

I second the opinion to create a Wikipedia page on him. I have never been involved in Wikipedia editing too much, but I'm sure Paul will satisfy the minimum requirements of a public person famous enough to be listed on Wikipedia.

Can we, the FBP-inspired people, organize ourselves and form a team to plan & create such a Wikipedia page?
I will go first and say that I am up for it.

Do we want to organize a Discord server?

Ruud Steltenpool

Aug 9, 2023, 10:18:22 AM8/9/23
to Flow Based Programming
@ComFreek, I'm glad to hear you agree on this idea.
My ideas on this:
Perfect is the enemy of good
Less is more
Just start, as draft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Drafts
share the URL here, so others can help
I'll certainly try to help.
A friend of mine is a regular Wikipedia editor, I will ask him too.

Ruud Steltenpool

Aug 9, 2023, 11:49:33 AM8/9/23
to Flow Based Programming

paul tarvydas

Aug 9, 2023, 11:54:14 AM8/9/23
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
ec2c34cadd4b5f4594415127380a85e6.ico

Büro Summit Solutions

Aug 9, 2023, 12:27:32 PM8/9/23
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Ruud Steltenpool
Greetings, so far the link to his personal page ("J. Paul Morrison") is
red - see attached.

Where can I find the draft?

Best,
Ernst

Am 09.08.23 um 17:49 schrieb Ruud Steltenpool:
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flow-based-programming/96c61024-66b5-4191-8393-8537dcf7c7b2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flow-based-programming/a2b3286d-4358-42fc-b996-50e032c51493n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flow-based-programming/a2b3286d-4358-42fc-b996-50e032c51493n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-08-09 17-53-54.png

Ruud Steltenpool

Aug 9, 2023, 3:47:57 PM8/9/23
to Flow Based Programming
I wasn't pointing to a draft, but to something describing the draft possibility.

Ruud Steltenpool

Aug 9, 2023, 3:49:06 PM8/9/23
to Flow Based Programming
Just so you know

Büro Summit Solutions

Aug 9, 2023, 4:53:24 PM8/9/23
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Ruud Steltenpool
Greetings, I have fixed the linkage from the Flow-based Programming
article to a new page,

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Paul_Morrison

Of course this is just an initial version -

Wikipedia runs regular scans of pages resp. articles, and checks for a
minimum level of depth, detail and encyclopedia-worthiness.

So we should add information within the next 1-2 weeks, I don't know how
quick their scans are these days.

-> So please feel free to add information as you know it.

Best,
Ernst

--

Büro Summit Solutions GmbH -- Unleash Your Business!
Digitale Unternehmensoptimierung, Software-Speziallösungen, Wartung,
Am 09.08.23 um 21:47 schrieb Ruud Steltenpool:
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flow-based-programming/a2b3286d-4358-42fc-b996-50e032c51493n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flow-based-programming/d8a98301-4d92-4bb7-9af1-78420aec35dbn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flow-based-programming/d8a98301-4d92-4bb7-9af1-78420aec35dbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Paul Morrison

Aug 9, 2023, 5:00:28 PM8/9/23
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com

Paul Morrison

Aug 9, 2023, 5:06:36 PM8/9/23
to JOSEPH D. MORRISON, flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Would you mind if I forward this conversation to our son, Joseph Morrison.    Thank you so much for continuing to acknowledge Paul… he spent a large part of his life working on this and he would be very pleased with the continued interest in this field.   Thank you so much.

Brenda Morrison ( his widow)

Büro Summit Solutions

Aug 9, 2023, 5:26:09 PM8/9/23
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Paul Morrison, JOSEPH D. MORRISON
Greetings Brenda,

by all means please go ahead and forward this conversation to him -

I would like for Paul to get the acknowledgment he deserves.

The Wikipedia article (URL quoted below) can be easily edited, just a
simple registration via e-mail is required.

I will watch the Wikipedia article and can help with linking, layouting,
literature references, filling in gaps, etc. but my biographical
knowledge of Paul's life is unfortunately limited.

Everyone, who can contribute, feel free.

Best,
Ernst

--

Am 09.08.23 um 23:06 schrieb Paul Morrison:
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/1010+Wien,+Teinfaltstrasse+4?entry=gmail&source=g>
> Top B10
> Tel Hotline: +43 720 27 10 27 <tel:0043720271027> | Tel Büro:
> +43 1 253
> 22 13 <tel:004312532213>
> Web: www.summitsolutions.at <http://www.summitsolutions.at>
> <mailto:flow-based-programming%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:flow-based-programming%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flow-based-programming/CAHttgx5D7syVyUD1ak1nuDbCErJwyvRnKOjuU%3DPq1n%2BpTjE20w%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flow-based-programming/CAHttgx5D7syVyUD1ak1nuDbCErJwyvRnKOjuU%3DPq1n%2BpTjE20w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Ruud Steltenpool

Aug 10, 2023, 4:53:11 AM8/10/23
to Flow Based Programming

Ruud Steltenpool

Aug 10, 2023, 5:34:22 AM8/10/23
to Flow Based Programming

A friend found out there was an older one already and he merged everything to that address:
There are more facts there, that you can use in the Wikipedia article too.

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q29001896

ComFreek

Aug 15, 2023, 8:32:46 PM8/15/23
to Flow Based Programming
Dear (other) Paul,

the invitation to the Discord server doesn't work for me. It forwards me to a website saying that the inviation is either expired or that I didn't have enough permissions.

Best,
ComFreek

ComFreek

Aug 15, 2023, 9:02:37 PM8/15/23
to Flow Based Programming
Wonderful that we now have a minimal Wikipedia page going.
I'll try to read up on Wikipedia editing guidelines first and then add some stuff this or next week.

It seems that the Wikipedia article just created has already been nominated for deletion for lack of substance and notability.
Maybe we should have started with a draft article as described in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_creation ?

Do you know of any third-party sources that have written about Paul? I don't know if we can take material of his own website and cite that. As a non-Wikipedianist I sense that could go against Wikipedia's neutrality guidelines.

Ruud Steltenpool

Aug 15, 2023, 9:51:58 PM8/15/23
to Flow Based Programming
We probably should've started with the draft article indeed. Good to remember if the article does indeed gets deleted on the first attempt, as it was planned to get deleted on Aug. 16

All sources I know are
- The article https://www.fastcompany.com/3016289/how-an-arcane-coding-method-from-1970s-banking-software-could-save-the-sanity-of-web-develop
- His book
- His obituary