Missing AMI on AWS

Luigi Tagliamonte

Aug 6, 2022, 11:25:54 PM8/6/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Hello folks,
I was trying to update my server and when running terraform plan i'm getting:
Error: No images found for AMI ami-0670e450bda89efc0
I checked the Image on AWS and it doesn't exists anymore can someone please fix this?
Thanks in advance!
Regards
L.

Luigi Tagliamonte

Aug 6, 2022, 11:32:10 PM8/6/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User

I can't even update to a newer AMI bc my terraform state wants to calculate the diff and doesn't find the old AMI.

Mathieu Tortuyaux

Aug 8, 2022, 5:00:12 AM8/8/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Hi there,

Could you please give another chance to this AMI (ami-0670e450bda89efc0)? In case you missed it, Flatcar team has recently published in this group about AWS AMI retention of old releases (see: https://groups.google.com/g/flatcar-linux-user/c/3ucqvn7gQy4/m/ucIEsqk-BQAJ).

That's interesting that TF is not able to use a newer AMI. Did you reference the AMI directly via its ID or are you using the TF aws_ami datasource?

Mathieu (@tormath1)

Luigi Tagliamonte

Aug 8, 2022, 1:09:43 PM8/8/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Thanks
Will try it as soon as possible.
Regards
Luigi

Luigi Tagliamonte

Aug 13, 2022, 10:52:43 AM8/13/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
@mathieu the AMI is still not available.
Regards
Luigi

Jeremi Piotrowski

Aug 15, 2022, 3:52:27 AM8/15/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Hi Luigi,
The automation re-marked the AMI for deletion on Aug. 11. I've now changed that, it will be eligible again in 30 days, please perform your migration soon.
Jeremi

Luigi Tagliamonte

Aug 15, 2022, 6:49:45 PM8/15/22
to Jeremi Piotrowski, Flatcar Container Linux User
Thanks Jeremi,
Sorry for the inconvenience I work on this project only on weekends.

I hacked the tf state by:
- removing the obj from the state
- edit the asg configuration from the console to use a newer Ami
- import the obj in terraform state using `terraform import`

Thanks for helping recreating the img.
With such short retention i will have to create my own Ami since i have projects that don't get very frequently updated.

Thanks for everything!
Regards
Luigi