Adding a new package via the Nebraska UI

anand kumar

Jan 10, 2022, 6:00:01 AM1/10/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Hello folks,
We have setup a local Nebraska server to manage updates on our k8s cluster. I was looking into adding a package for our custom channel and I am unsure about how to fill the 3 fields: 'Size', 'Hash', 'Flatcar Action SHA256' in the form.

Every time we want to add a package, do we need to download the .gz file to get these informations?
For 'Hash' field for e.g, it mentions:
"Tip: cat update.gz false openssl dgst -sha1 -binary false base64"
I am not sure what does that mean though. Same applies to the "Tip" which is mentioned with the 'Flatcar Action SHA256' field.

Can you someone help me understand how do I take care of these 3 fields?

Thanks

Kai Lüke

Jan 10, 2022, 6:14:30 AM1/10/22
to anand kumar, Flatcar Container Linux User
Hello,
if you want to have the Flatcar update packages, you should use the
"-enable-syncer" flag when starting Nebraska.
This will automatically update the stable, beta, and alpha channels to
follow the channels of the public server and create packages as
needed.
The URL will still be the public URL unless you use the
"-host-flatcar-packages" to download and serve the packages from your
local storage, but I don't really recommend it unless you really need
it for locked down access.

Regards,
Kai

Kinvolk GmbH | Adalbertstr.6a, 10999 Berlin | tel: +491755589364

Geschäftsführer/Directors: Benjamin Owen Orndorff

Registergericht/Court of registration: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg

Registernummer/Registration number: HRB 171414 B

Ust-ID-Nummer/VAT ID number: DE302207000

anand kumar

Jan 10, 2022, 7:08:50 AM1/10/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Hello Kai,
We are already running Nebraska with "-enable-syncer" flag and yes the standard channels i.e alpha, beta, stable etc. are getting new packages fine. That's not the issue.
As I mentioned, let's say I have a custom channel and I want to add metadata of a release which doesn't already exist on the UI. For e.g I want to add v2983.2.0 and here is a screenshot of what I am setting up:
Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 5.32.27 PM.png

So now, I have the question around the 3 fields I mentioned in the first reply.

Kai Lüke

Jan 10, 2022, 7:19:08 AM1/10/22
to anand kumar, Flatcar Container Linux User
Ok, for any release payload the commands to generate the sha1 and sha256 hashes and the size can be taken from the flatcar-update script here:

anand kumar

Jan 10, 2022, 7:21:05 AM1/10/22
to Kai Lüke, Flatcar Container Linux User
This is fantastic. Thanks Kai!

anand kumar

Jan 10, 2022, 7:25:50 AM1/10/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Now that I see the commands, the "Tip" mentioned below the Hash fields in the form makes sense as well :)