Switching Stable to LTS

Piotr Kowalczyk

Oct 25, 2022, 3:59:41 AM10/25/22
to Flatcar Container Linux User
Good morning,

In short: I'm trying to switch stable flatcar machines to lts; but I can't understand what's going on. This is running on Azure.

1. if I'm using azure kinvolk:flatcar-container-linux-free:lts2022:3033.3.6 images, all seems fine.
2. For stable machines (kinvolk:flatcar-container-linux-free:stable:3227.2.3), when trying to switch update group (/etc/flatcar/update.conf) from `stable` to `lts`, I'm getting: "/etc/flatcar/update.conf: DOWNLOAD_USER and DOWNLOAD_PASSWORD are missing to download LTS updates." upon ssh login. I have no idea where  to get it from.

Now questions:

- is this possible to switch from stable to lts? How can I do that?
- I can't find any reliable information in the docs (https://flatcar-linux.org/docs/latest/setup/releases/switching-channels/) or on the Internet which says that LTS is a paid plan, and what is suggested with needed user and password. On the contrary, it says it's rather available to community: https://www.flatcar.org//blog/2022/05/flatcar-container-linux-long-term-support-lts-channel-and-advanced-features-now-available-to-community/. So is it free or not?

What I'm trying to accomplish really is to be able to freely switch stable, lts, lts-xxxx releases with just updating update group on machines running in Azure. Is this possible?

I'd be super thankful if someone could help me to sort that out or redirect to some place where I can find answers.

Best,
Piotr

Kai Lüke

Oct 25, 2022, 1:56:33 PM10/25/22
to Piotr Kowalczyk, Flatcar Container Linux User
Hi,

yes, you can switch to LTS from Stable, the DOWNLOAD_* warning is outdated now.
The part you missed is in https://flatcar-linux.org/docs/latest/setup/releases/switching-channels/#customizing-channel-configuration
"The public Nebraska update service does not offer downgrades. If you’re switching from a channel with a higher Flatcar Container Linux version than the new channel, your machine won’t be updated again until the new channel contains a higher version number."

You may also consider using "lts-2022" to opt out of major version updates:
https://flatcar-linux.org/docs/latest/setup/releases/switching-channels/#freezing-an-lts-stream

Regards,
Kai

-------------------------------
This document contains material that is confidential in CodiLime Sp. z o.o. DO NOT PRINT. DO NOT COPY. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE. If you are not the intended recipient of this document, be aware that any use, review, retransmission, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and he...@codilime.com. Return the paper copy, delete the material from all computers and storage media.

Kinvolk GmbH | Adalbertstr.6a, 10999 Berlin | tel: +491755589364

Geschäftsführer/Directors: Benjamin Owen Orndorff

Registergericht/Court of registration: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg

Registernummer/Registration number: HRB 171414 B

Ust-ID-Nummer/VAT ID number: DE302207000

Piotr Kowalczyk

Oct 26, 2022, 6:44:43 AM10/26/22
to Kai Lüke, Flatcar Container Linux User
I've found the docs you're referring to later on, but the DOWNLOAD_* warning was pretty misleading, I hope this will be fixed soon.

All is clear now, and indeed this works just gorgeously.
Thank you!

best,
Piotr