mlaunch in reservation mode

Panchapakesan Ganesh

Jun 4, 2015, 12:32:05 PM6/4/15
to firewo...@googlegroups.com
How to use 'mlaunch' in reservation mode? Once I change the my_qadapter.yaml to use 'mlaunch' instead of 'rlaunch' with appropriate commands, how should I submit to the queue? qlaunch -r singleshot or qlaunch -r rapidfire doesn't seem to work.  (I am using v1.04 of FWS)

Anubhav Jain

Jun 5, 2015, 12:49:39 PM6/5/15
to Panchapakesan Ganesh, firewo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You cannot use mlaunch in reservation mode. The point of reservation mode is to tailor the queue script to a single job. With mlaunch, there will be multiple jobs that get pulled and the queue script cannot be specific to a single job.

You can, however, make sure that mlaunch only pulls a particular "type" of job. e.g., let's say you have mixed job type in the database and want mlaunch to only pull a certain type. You can use the FireWorker options to make sure that only certain jobs are being run within mlaunch. See the last part of "http://pythonhosted.org/FireWorks/multi_job.html" for more details.

If that's not helpful, maybe you can describe a bit of what you're trying to accomplish.

Best,
Anubhav

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Panchapakesan Ganesh <gpan...@gmail.com> wrote:
How to use 'mlaunch' in reservation mode? Once I change the my_qadapter.yaml to use 'mlaunch' instead of 'rlaunch' with appropriate commands, how should I submit to the queue? qlaunch -r singleshot or qlaunch -r rapidfire doesn't seem to work.  (I am using v1.04 of FWS)

Panchapakesan Ganesh

Jun 5, 2015, 1:17:55 PM6/5/15
to firewo...@googlegroups.com, aj...@lbl.gov
Thanks Anubhav.  What I am trying to do is to bundle multiple fireworks, with similar computing requirements, using 'mlaunch' into one PBS job that can be submitted to a PBS queue, with the mongoDB hosted on a different server (such as the mongo-cloud service) than the fworker.

Ganesh

Panchapakesan Ganesh

Jun 5, 2015, 2:33:58 PM6/5/15
to firewo...@googlegroups.com, aj...@lbl.gov
I need the offline/reservation mode  because my compute nodes cannot connect to the launchpad. In cases (clusters) where they do, the mlaunch works fine as you prescribed. --Ganesh

Anubhav Jain

Jun 5, 2015, 6:09:13 PM6/5/15
to Panchapakesan Ganesh, firewo...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I understand; unfortunately, there is so far no way to run mlaunch in offline mode. To do this, one would need to pre-generate many FW.json files and then mlaunch would need to select from that pool of pregenerated files. It is certainly possible, but I would put this in the category of something that an outside user would need to lead the development of.

Best,
Anubhav