SQL Manager Lite for Firebird - Firebird 4.0

Flavius Fernandes

Jun 2, 2021, 9:57:00 AM6/2/21
to firebird-support

When trying to connect to a database (converted from FB3 to FB4) I get the error message below.

Unsuccessful execution caused by system error that does not preclude successful execution of subsequent statements.
Error loading plugin ChaCha.
Module C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_4_0\plugins/ChaCha exists but can not be loaded.
Unknown Win32 error 193.

SQL Code: -901
IB Error Number: 335545004

If I use C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0\WOW64\fbclient.dll, SQL Manage works ok. Using C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_4_0\WOW64\fbclient.dll causes the error.

Regards,

Flavius Fernanades

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 2, 2021, 9:59:36 AM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
02.06.2021 15:36, Flavius Fernandes wrote:
> If I use C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0\WOW64\fbclient.dll, SQL Manage works ok.
> Using C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_4_0\WOW64\fbclient.dll causes the error.

Do not use the library directly from this patch. Copy it to the application folder or
system folder.

--
WBR, SD.

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jun 2, 2021, 10:05:44 AM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Dimitry,

That's strange advice, IMO.

Copying to the system directory isn't something everybody can do.

What use is a client installation if you need to copy the library around?

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
https://www.upscene.com

Database Workbench - developer tool for Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL,
SQL Anywhere, MySQL, InterBase, NexusDB and Firebird.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/ed5c7116-3aee-a954-0b3c-037a2a439a63%40ibphoenix.com.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 2, 2021, 10:12:17 AM6/2/21
02.06.2021 16:05, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> Copying to the system directory isn't something everybody can do.
>
> What use is a client installation if you need to copy the library around?

Provide you the file to copy. Normally 32 bits client library should be installed into
appropriate system directory by installer but Firebird developers are afraid of "system
directory polluting" which Microsoft warned against 25 years ago. Unfortunately even
nowadays there is no better way for installing 64 and 32 bits libraries with the same
names at the same time.

--
WBR, SD.

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jun 2, 2021, 10:32:13 AM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dimitry,
I've used multiple different versions of libraries by NOT copying into the
system folder
for years, works fine.

Copying to the system folder destroys this and can mess up existing
installations/applications.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 2, 2021, 10:58:08 AM6/2/21
02.06.2021 16:32, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> I've used multiple different versions of libraries by NOT copying into the system folder
> for years, works fine.

There is a definite difference between "different versions" and "different bitness" of
libraries. Especially for the way fbclient.dll is looking for plugins.

--
WBR, SD.

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jun 2, 2021, 11:11:43 AM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dimitry,
Not sure what you mean by this. I've got 32bit and 64bit clients on my
workstation.

Copying to the system folder should be avoided.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 2, 2021, 11:15:12 AM6/2/21
02.06.2021 17:11, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> Not sure what you mean by this. I've got 32bit and 64bit clients on my workstation.
>
> Copying to the system folder should be avoided.

Read the topic once again. If you have a solution for for it - I'm all ears.

--
WBR, SD.

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jun 2, 2021, 2:24:31 PM6/2/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Well Dimitry, this is the original message:

When trying to connect to a database (converted from FB3 to FB4) I get the
error message below.

Unsuccessful execution caused by system error that does not preclude
successful execution of subsequent statements.
Error loading plugin ChaCha.
Module C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_4_0\plugins/ChaCha exists but can
not be loaded.

Unknown Win32 error 193.

SQL Code: -901

IB Error Number: 335545004

If I use C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0\WOW64\fbclient.dll, SQL
Manage works ok. Using C:\Program
Files\Firebird\Firebird_4_0\WOW64\fbclient.dll causes the error.
<<

So, what does this error message mean, according to you? What is the cause?

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
https://www.upscene.com

Database Workbench - developer tool for Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL,
SQL Anywhere, MySQL, InterBase, NexusDB and Firebird.

Jun 2, 2021, 3:07:07 PM6/2/21
02.06.2021 20:23, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> So, what does this error message mean, according to you? What is the cause?

Win32 error 193 is clear: 32 bits firebird.dll found plugins dir with 64 bits plugins
inside and is trying to use ChaCha.dll from there. In vain.

--
WBR, SD.

Carlos H. Cantu

Jun 2, 2021, 4:10:55 PM6/2/21
to Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)
What happens if he puts a 32bits of ChaCha dll in the same folder as
fbclient he is using (ie: in C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0\WOW64\) ?

My guess is that fbclient will first try to load the dll from the
currently dir, so I guess it will solve the problem. Maybe 64bit
installer could do that?

[]s
Carlos
www.firebirdnews.org - www.FireBase.com.br

MTUP> Well Dimitry, this is the original message:

MTUP> When trying to connect to a database (converted from FB3 to FB4) I get the
MTUP> error message below.

MTUP> Unsuccessful execution caused by system error that does not preclude
MTUP> successful execution of subsequent statements.
MTUP> Error loading plugin ChaCha.
MTUP> Module C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_4_0\plugins/ChaCha exists but can
MTUP> not be loaded.

MTUP> Unknown Win32 error 193.

MTUP> SQL Code: -901

MTUP> IB Error Number: 335545004

MTUP> If I use C:\Program
MTUP> Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0\WOW64\fbclient.dll, SQL
MTUP> Manage works ok. Using C:\Program
MTUP> Files\Firebird\Firebird_4_0\WOW64\fbclient.dll causes the error.
MTUP> <<

MTUP> So, what does this error message mean, according to you? What is the cause?

MTUP> With regards,

MTUP> Martijn Tonies
MTUP> Upscene Productions
MTUP> https://www.upscene.com

MTUP> Database Workbench - developer tool for Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL,
MTUP> SQL Anywhere, MySQL, InterBase, NexusDB and Firebird.

MTUP> -----Original Message-----
MTUP> From: Dimitry Sibiryakov
MTUP> Sent: Wednesday, June 2, 2021 5:15 PM
MTUP> To: firebird...@googlegroups.com
MTUP> Subject: Re: [firebird-support] SQL Manager Lite for Firebird - Firebird 4.0

MTUP> 02.06.2021 17:11, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
>> Not sure what you mean by this. I've got 32bit and 64bit clients on my
>> workstation.
>>
>> Copying to the system folder should be avoided.

MTUP> Read the topic once again. If you have a solution for for it - I'm all
MTUP> ears.

MTUP> --
MTUP> WBR, SD.

MTUP> --
MTUP> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
MTUP> "firebird-support" group.
MTUP> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
MTUP> email to firebird-suppo...@googlegroups.com.
MTUP> To view this discussion on the web, visit
MTUP> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/97f35361-1f04-86a9-c9ea-c4369efec8d6%40ibphoenix.com.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 2, 2021, 5:28:53 PM6/2/21
02.06.2021 22:10, Carlos H. Cantu wrote:
> What happens if he puts a 32bits of ChaCha dll in the same folder as
> fbclient he is using (ie: in C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0\WOW64\) ?
>
> My guess is that fbclient will first try to load the dll from the
> currently dir, so I guess it will solve the problem.

Most likely - no because plugins are loaded using full path but you can try.

--
WBR, SD.

Flavius Fernandes

Jun 2, 2021, 10:34:32 PM6/2/21
to firebird-support

Copying to the application folder maybe, to the system folder no. But in this case it will not solve the problem.

Module C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_4_0\plugins/ChaCha exists but can not be loaded.

The Chacha.dll is in the\Firebird_4_0\plugins folder but it cannot be loaded.

The Chacha.dll is not found in the \Firebird_3_0\plugins folder, so this must be a new file with Firebird_4_0

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jun 3, 2021, 2:15:41 AM6/3/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
So, there's the error: the 32bit client shouldn't use the 64bit plugin
folder.

Is this a Firebird client error or a user error?

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 3, 2021, 6:16:15 AM6/3/21
03.06.2021 08:15, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> So, there's the error: the 32bit client shouldn't use the 64bit plugin folder.
>
> Is this a Firebird client error or a user error?

Neither. It is a basic multiarch OS problem.

--
WBR, SD.

Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)

Jun 3, 2021, 6:21:06 AM6/3/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Very helpful... And your solution is meddling with the system folder and
messing up multi-client installs.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
https://www.upscene.com

Database Workbench - developer tool for Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL,
SQL Anywhere, MySQL, InterBase, NexusDB and Firebird.

Jun 3, 2021, 6:29:30 AM6/3/21
03.06.2021 12:20, Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions) wrote:
> And your solution is meddling with the system folder and messing up multi-client installs.

My solution is to follow OS multiarch rules. For Windows it is putting shared libraries
into Known DLLs Folder (as set in registry). For every kind of Linux - into
lib/lib32/lib64 according to distro's rules.
If you have other solution - I'm all ears.

--
WBR, SD.

Flavius Fernandes

Jun 3, 2021, 6:31:12 AM6/3/21
to firebird-support
It's very helpful to the point that we know what NOT to do.
Maybe SQL Manager for Interbase and Firebird does not work with Firebird 4 at the moment.

Yours Sincerely,

Flavius Fernandes
Director |Solution & Software Architect
ERPSirius UK
https://www.erpsirius.co.uk/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/flavius-fernandes-50467b22/
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6785894710713085952/

Virgo Pärna

Jun 3, 2021, 8:16:52 AM6/3/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Testing with Flamerobin, Firebird server configured to use only ChaCha
Wire encryption. Copied Firebird 4.0 fbclient together with ICU and
runtime dll-s and firebird.msg to Flamerobin directory.
chacha.dll in same directory does not work. But chacha.dll in plugins
subdirectory it works. So it seems, that chacha.dll in same directory
with fbclient.dll does not work and it needs to be in plugins subdirectory.

--
Virgo Pärna
Gaiasoft OÜ

Mark Rotteveel

Jun 3, 2021, 11:47:57 AM6/3/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a bug. Either chacha should be included in fbclient.dll,
or it needs to have a better way to resolve the plugin.

Can your report it at https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/issues

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 3, 2021, 11:54:28 AM6/3/21
03.06.2021 17:47, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> I think this is a bug. Either chacha should be included in fbclient.dll, or it needs to
> have a better way to resolve the plugin.

ChaCha is not something special, this is the problem with any plugin include engine13.
I don't think that retuning to a monolithic architecture is a right way to go.

--
WBR, SD.

Mark Rotteveel

Jun 3, 2021, 11:59:50 AM6/3/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
This is a trade-off to make it easier for end-users to use the Firebird
built-in encryption without too much hassle.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel