Database increase with no explanation

Nick-T

Feb 9, 2021, 9:52:05 AM2/9/21
to firebird-support
Hello
I had a very strange situation occurring on my server
I have a database that yesterday, from one hour to the next, increased in size until reaching the maximum HD limit
That in just 1 hour,
If I run the statistics in the database, nothing shows me as if this space was not actually in the database
If I check the records in the tables or the Blobs the database doesn't even have 1 GB but in a period of 1 hour it has grown to 300 GB extending the HD limit

Could anyone tell me what may have happened?

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 9, 2021, 9:53:40 AM2/9/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
What is your full Firebird version? What is the DatabaseGrowthIncrement
in your firebird.conf?

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel

Alexey Kovyazin

Feb 9, 2021, 9:53:56 AM2/9/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com

Roland Turcan

Feb 9, 2021, 9:55:01 AM2/9/21
to firebird-support
Hello Nick

I think, that the database is broken. Could you check it sweep is running and OAT and OIT is not so far from next transaction ID?

Backup and restore is always good idea...

HTH, RT

Nick-T

Feb 9, 2021, 11:04:47 AM2/9/21
to firebird-support
Firebird 3.0.7.33374
The last backup-restore was made on sunday
DatabaseGrowthIncrement  is the default my config is  #DatabaseGrowthIncrement = 128M so not using

Nick-T

Feb 9, 2021, 11:05:27 AM2/9/21
to firebird-support
Thank you, I understand what the process can do,
But I have been using this database for about 5 years with few changes in this period if there is a use of blob concatenation it should have happened before,
what makes the case even more curious

Nick-T

Feb 9, 2021, 11:06:03 AM2/9/21
to firebird-support
Sweep is 0 i do a manual sweep on every Sunday since its a critical system

Nick-T

Feb 9, 2021, 11:07:08 AM2/9/21
to firebird-support
Is there any way for me to make sure that this whole space is in fact a temporary blob? if so how do I trace the source of the problem?

Nick-T

Feb 9, 2021, 11:54:20 AM2/9/21
to firebird-support
Find out that i have a procedure that done that,
if i change from BLOB to string may this resolve ?

Tomasz Tyrakowski

Feb 9, 2021, 12:56:23 PM2/9/21
On 09.02.2021 at 17:07, Nick-T wrote:
> Is there any way for me to make sure that this whole space is in fact a
> temporary blob? if so how do I trace the source of the problem?

Just a wild guess (and has nothing to do with blobs, so sorry for a
digression), as I've experienced something like that in the past. Does
your code by any chance execute queries doing insert ... select ...? Or
maybe you've done it by hand? Some time ago I wanted to copy data in a
table from one year to another, something like:

insert into T (some fields, year)
select some fields, 2021
from T where year = 2020

only to make a stupid mistake:

insert into T (some fields, year)
select some fields, 2020
from T where year = 2020

and the query looped infinitely (selecting records that have just been
inserted and re-inserting them again), causing the database to keep
growing until I realized what I had done and killed the client .
Maybe it has nothing to do with your case, but I'd try to rule out the
simple causes first (and human mistake is always on top of my list).

cheers
Tomasz
________________________________

Ta wiadomość zawiera poufne informacje przeznaczone tylko dla adresata. Jeżeli nie jesteście Państwo jej adresatem, bądź otrzymaliście ją przez pomyłkę, prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Feb 9, 2021, 1:14:26 PM2/9/21
09.02.2021 18:56, Tomasz Tyrakowski wrote:
> Just a wild guess (and has nothing to do with blobs, so sorry for a
> digression), as I've experienced something like that in the past. Does
> your code by any chance execute queries doing insert ... select ...? Or
> maybe you've done it by hand?

This problem is fixed in Firebird 3.

--
WBR, SD.