Firebird 4 64bit on Slackware64 -current - port 3050 is closed.

Paul McCormack

Jun 11, 2021, 5:02:28 PM6/11/21
to firebird-support
HI,
I 'm trying to configure Firebird 4 on slackware64 -current.

Its a bare-metal PC that was upgraded from Slackware64 14.2 to Slackware64 15 (-current)! The upgrade appears to have gone well with just a few old configuration files to address.

I uninstalled Firebird 3.0 and installed the latest Firebird 4 using the install script.

using isql I can connect to the example db using:

connect employee;

but not

connect localhost:employee;

Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 08006
Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
-Failed to establish a connection.

following the troubleshooting guidelines I found that

netstat -nl | grep 3050 returned nothing and

and

nmap localhost reports that 3050 is not an open port.

I have the  gds_db 3050/tcp entry in services and have NOT modified firebird.conf

iptables is installed but no rules are defined. I also check hosts.deny etc. localhost is in hosts.allow.

I'm a bit stuck now and am wondering if I need to add a line to inetd.conf but this is a superserver not classic?

if so, could someone send me the correct entry. what I found on the internet looked stale.

Also firebird.log is empty?

Paul.

pablo sanchez

Jun 11, 2021, 5:19:54 PM6/11/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked firebird log file?

Regards

Pablo
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/2f737c77-0d6c-407a-949a-7b5e042923dcn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebird-support/2f737c77-0d6c-407a-949a-7b5e042923dcn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Paul McCormack

Jun 12, 2021, 9:54:33 AM6/12/21
to firebird-support
The firebird.log file was empty.

One thing I had not tried was running the following line from rc.firebird manually. This led me to conclude that:

echo $GUARDIAN -pidfile $pidfile -daemon -forever | su $FBRunUser ;;

does NOT work on my system. fbguard does not start. However:

sudo -u firebird $GUARDIAN -pidfile $pidfile -daemon -forever ;;

works! fbguard and firebird are both running with firebird as the user and the pid file is created. firebird.log states that fbguard started normally.

will reboot after sending this just to make sure it starts up correctly.

I guess I tied myself up in knots and my OP was caused by the fact that firebird wasn't running!

My next question is how do I start firebird without fbguard?

Paul.

Dimitry Sibiryakov

Jun 12, 2021, 11:12:50 AM6/12/21
12.06.2021 15:54, Paul McCormack wrote:
> My next question is how do I start firebird without fbguard?

Modern linux-based OSes used to use systemd for that.

--
WBR, SD.

Paul McCormack

Jun 13, 2021, 3:07:51 PM6/13/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
Dimitry,

Slackware does not use Systemd out of the box.

Still - It would appear that rc.firebird, at least, is stale and doesn't work as per the install script.

Would you agree?

P.