please help with 3.0 connecting with superserver

Jim McNamara

Feb 23, 2021, 7:18:07 PM2/23/21
to firebird-support

Hi all-

I verified with the -v switch on isql-fb that I am using 3.0 tools and 3.0 firebird DB.

I can connect to embedded ( I think people call it engine12 now).

I verified that the systemd service in fedora is working (it shows active in green).

I cannot log-in with :

CONNECT localhost:employee user 'SYSDBA' password 'mypassword'.

I get this for an error msg:
Install incomplete, please read the Compatibility chapter in the release notes for this version
I spent some time reading firebird.conf and databases.conf making changes where I felt necessary. I am using the sample db and that worked for embedded. Can't really think why I am getting blocked. I try to make the changes in /etc/firebird. I use the package manager in fedora to do my installs with dnf because I am a very lightweight firebird person.

Any cool tips I can use to get unstuck? I noticed that fedora didn't have a wiki 3.0 firebird tutorial page.
Thanks,
robo-loki

Jim McNamara

Feb 23, 2021, 7:51:12 PM2/23/21
to firebird-support

Just wanted to pass along that  I have a user created in linux that i assigned to the firebird group as in firebird:firebird. (user:group).
# su - fbuser
fbuser-$ isql-fb
CONNECT...ETC.

It works with embedded.

thanks

Jim McNamara

Feb 23, 2021, 8:23:02 PM2/23/21
to firebird-support
Hi all-

I got in.  It was so easy tonight.

Sometimes I get in a funk and it is not the prince funk (you know the good kind).
The steps to fix the problem were:

isql-fb -user sysdba employee
Database: employee, User: SYSDBA
create user sysdba password 'mypass'
commit
quit

I also note that I got tricked into thinking I already had a password because embedded accepted my old password.

Have a cool night.

Robo loki.

thanks.

Lucas Schatz

Feb 23, 2021, 8:23:09 PM2/23/21
to firebird...@googlegroups.com
If I'm right, you need to connect to any local database as embedded, and simply alter SYSDBA password to something
Source:

Jim McNamara

Feb 23, 2021, 8:28:04 PM2/23/21
to firebird-support
Lucas-

I got your message about the same time that I solved it and yes, you were right.

thanks!

Mark Rotteveel

Feb 24, 2021, 3:57:27 AM2/24/21
On 2021-02-24 02:23, Jim McNamara wrote:
> I also note that I got tricked into thinking I already had a password
> because embedded accepted my old password.

Since Firebird 3, Firebird Embedded on Linux no longer checks passwords
(just like it already was on Windows). This applies the assumption that
if you have read/write filesystem privileges when using embedded, then
you have the rights to access the database in anyway. The user is then
used for its database privileges.

Mark