Quiet out there.

Michael Abele

Jul 7, 2015, 12:21:27 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Notice it's been kind of quiet in the Firebase world lately... The blog use to be quite active but haven't seen anything since late May.

Plus whatever happen to Firebase triggers?

Just curious...

Douglas Correa

Jul 7, 2015, 1:04:23 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
There are some good tweets on https://twitter.com/firebase, but I'm also missing news about Firebase Triggers.

Douglas

Kato Richardson

Jul 7, 2015, 1:14:26 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Gents,

There is nothing to report, other than a triggers-like enhancement has been under development for several months. It's a cross-team effort at Google with a lot of muscle and talent behind it, and I think you're going to be very happy with the outcome.

No public release date has been announced and none of the specifications have been published, so I can't share more yet. Hang in there; great stuff is coming.

We did a slew of blog posts at the end of May, and we've been posting lots of news on Twitter. We'll have some more blog posts out this month.

Cheers,
Kato

Michael Abele

Jul 7, 2015, 1:20:35 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Cool! Glad to hear triggers are still a priority. Thanks for the update.

Hardeep Singh

Jul 7, 2015, 1:40:36 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Kato - we are also waiting to hear about server-side code hosting within FB (cloud code in the world of Parse).  Can you shed any light on this?

Kato Richardson

Jul 7, 2015, 1:44:26 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hardeep, in Firebase vernacular, that's the same as Triggers--both of these describe a server-side scripting functionality that would be invoked based on changes to data.

☃, Kato

Hardeep Singh

Jul 7, 2015, 1:52:10 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Okay cool!  The way you are describing it makes it sound like Triggers would process FB Queue Tasks as well.

Kato Richardson

Jul 7, 2015, 1:54:03 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a specification I could share, but I think it's safe to assume that taking an action when data changes occur is a given. So in that regard, it makes sense that you'd be able to process, alter, or otherwise interact with a queue.

☃, Kato

Douglas Correa

Jul 7, 2015, 1:56:50 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Right now, I'm using a node box for doing "server code" using a modified version of Firework (https://github.com/mjackson/firework) (the firebase queue was not there when I started).

But it is very painful to scale and control which node will process that server code.

I'm glad to hear that Triggers are coming, it will transform Firebase in my perfect fullstack :)

Kaue Machado

Jul 7, 2015, 8:29:14 PM7/7/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking exactly the same thing, but its great to hear that a major feature is coming

Kathryn Cullen

Jul 13, 2015, 12:24:19 PM7/13/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Plus whatever happen to Firebase triggers?

See my post from Friday about signing up to come talk to us about your needs regarding triggers. I'd love to hear from you!

Kat.