Triggers

coco...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2014, 10:50:17 AM11/7/14
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
OK, I'm really excited by the Triggers preview shown at Google Cloud Platform Live.

I need a server integration with Firebase and instead of using a queue I'd love to test triggers.

Any hints when we can start joining the beta?

Ossama Alami

Nov 7, 2014, 1:19:43 PM11/7/14
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the note, glad you're excited, we're working hard on getting triggers out! What we showed at GCP Live was only an early prototype and there's still a lot of work to be done to make sure triggers is rock solid. It will be a little while before we open up a beta - not before early next year.

Ossama

coco...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2014, 2:00:15 PM11/7/14
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ossama. Like Homer once said 'But I'm hungry now!' :)
Still very excited about the feature and knowing that it's coming plus the rough timeline helps us tremendously.

James Dixon

Feb 3, 2015, 8:07:24 PM2/3/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ossama, any updates on this? Looking to build with Firebase, but we definitely have some use cases for server-side code.

Best,
James

Ossama Alami

Feb 4, 2015, 9:20:40 PM2/4/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi James -

No updated to share, we're still very excited about this feature and working hard on it and lots of other improvements. When we've got something to announce we'll definitely post it to the group.

Many thanks,
Ossama

Dain Kaplan

Apr 2, 2015, 1:17:14 PM4/2/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ossama,

Any updates on Triggers beta? I imagine there will be a post about it when there is but it's been a couple months since your last comment so just checking in. At this point is it expected (even in beta) to launch this year?

Cheers,
DK

Kato Richardson

Apr 2, 2015, 1:20:37 PM4/2/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dain,

Triggers are under active development and a top priority here. There is no public release date.

Cheers,
Kato

Kathryn Cullen

Jul 13, 2015, 12:26:36 PM7/13/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I need a server integration with Firebase and instead of using a queue I'd love to test triggers.

Any hints when we can start joining the beta?

If you're still interested in talking to us, I would love to hear from you. See my post from last Friday about signing up for triggers research and testing.

Cheers,
Kat.

Rakshak R.Hegde

Oct 12, 2015, 5:00:05 PM10/12/15
to Firebase Google Group
Hello,

I am an Android App Developer. I'm really excited about Triggers feature in Firebase. Its been quite some time now since the announcement of it. Please update regarding when it will be public or at least in Beta. It is difficult-impossible to implement some things without a server. Some use cases for me are as follows:

- Send a push notification to a particular group or a person based on some interaction with the mobile app
- Change the priority of a few listings dynamically when new listings are appended

I would really love to join the beta program (if there is any) for this Triggers feature. So please update as soon as possible and give an estimated timeline if possible.

Jacob Wenger

Oct 15, 2015, 2:19:46 PM10/15/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

Unfortunately we don't have anything to share at the moment. We don't have a public timeline for it, although the team is working on this feature and it's going to be awesome. Hang tight!

Cheers,
Jacob

Joe

Dec 14, 2015, 7:55:56 PM12/14/15
to Firebase Google Group
Just because its been a couple months since this last post...any news on this front?

Jacob Wenger

Dec 14, 2015, 8:02:22 PM12/14/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
No news. Trust me when I say that when we have something to share, you will hear it from us loud and clear. The team is still working on this but we don't have a public release date.

Cheers,
Jacob

Kerman Kohli

Dec 16, 2015, 10:38:00 PM12/16/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Is there anything you could tell us about it - like whether it’ll integrate with Google Cloud services etc? Just really excited for this feature since then analytics doesn’t have to be coupled with the client and handling purchases will be a breeze.

Sent from Mailbox

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Firebase Google Group" group.

Frank van Puffelen

Dec 16, 2015, 11:24:52 PM12/16/15
to Firebase Google Group
We share your excitement about this feature. But we won't announce any specifics at the moment.

Both great use-cases btw. If you think of any others, keep 'm coming! Even if we can't give any details about how they might work, we love learning about how you will use this feature.

      puf

Kerman Kohli

Dec 17, 2015, 12:58:51 AM12/17/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Ughhh the waiiittttt. Another use case is a counter, the current implementation of implementing a count is super hacky - hate it. With triggers you could easily send a request to your server to increment the counter rather than having a separate web server to constantly monitor .ChildChanged/Added/Removed. Also integrating with services like https://www.algolia.com would be more easier.

Another use case could be to create multiple version of an image. So if a user uploads the 1000x1000 version of their profile picture, the trigger is called and create’s the 500x500 and 250x250 version on the server and saves it - rather than the client taking more time to upload the images.

If there’s any way I could help for upcoming features, I’d love to :)

Sent from Mailbox

Daxno

Dec 17, 2015, 6:48:13 AM12/17/15
to Firebase Google Group
Some use cases for triggers I stumbled across:
  • Payment/Subscription handling (e.g. with Stripe)
  • Sending out emails
  • PDF creation (e.g. with PhantomJS or PDFMake)
  • Listening to webhooks from 3th-party services
  • Listening to changes on firebase locations, so you can process those changes in a safe way (e.g. updating a count whenever a value is added or removed)

Douglas Correa

Dec 17, 2015, 11:45:53 AM12/17/15
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daxno,

All this cases you also can handle with a simple nodejs box running Firebase Queue (https://www.firebase.com/blog/2015-05-15-introducing-firebase-queue.html

Douglas

Daxno

Dec 17, 2015, 2:01:43 PM12/17/15
to Firebase Google Group
Yes, that's true. As a matter of fact I'm handling all the above mentioned use cases with a node.js server at the moment.
But isn't the entire point of Triggers to make such an external server obsolete?

Matt Spendlove

Feb 25, 2016, 5:53:47 PM2/25/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi all

Great product! Just starting out..

  • Listening to changes on firebase locations, so you can process those changes in a safe way (e.g. updating a count whenever a value is added or removed)

I assume I'd have to wait until triggers go live or roll my own Node proxy to achieve this kind of thing right now?

We're writing a realtime analytics service and I need to roll up aggregations based upon visits. Those visits would be tracked/protected under a custom JWT auth but I need to keep the aggregation part of the schema private from external updates, yet updatable in some way.

Cheers

Matt

Brandon

May 19, 2016, 11:13:46 AM5/19/16
to Firebase Google Group
Any updates on this feature? It's been over a year and the latest Firebase release appears to be integrating with Google's Cloud Platform, could Cloud Functions be supported soonish?

Kato Richardson

May 19, 2016, 6:53:38 PM5/19/16
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Brandon,

James announced in his Intro to Firebase talk that we're working on integrating with Google Cloud Functions. We want this as much as you do, promise!

As usual, no ballparks or public release dates I can share. Sorry.

☼, Kato

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398

James Tamplin

May 19, 2016, 7:10:13 PM5/19/16
to Firebase Google Group

Moshe Brevda

May 27, 2016, 8:24:54 AM5/27/16
to Firebase Google Group
Seems this can already be done today. In the latest release, Firebase supports uploading files to Cloud Storage. Google Cloud Functions supports triggering based on a file change in Cloud Storage.

While I haven't tried this (yet), it would seem that triggers are as simple as uploading/modifying a file. Even if you don't want to use Functions to perform your work, you can still use it simply to trigger your "worker" of choice.

Mike Mcdonald

May 27, 2016, 8:31:50 AM5/27/16
to Firebase Google Group
You're an astute developer :)

I have played with these, and I built a fun little site to take photos uploaded to Firebase Storage, run them through the Cloud Vision API, and write the results (and the photo URL) to the Realtime Database. You can view the source on Github (hint, it's three files and maybe ~200 LoC including comments, whitespace, etc.).

Thanks,
--Mike

Moshe Brevda

May 27, 2016, 11:25:56 AM5/27/16
to Firebase Google Group

Simply perceptive. Astute will be when I manage to be accepted to the Functions beta!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Firebase Google Group" group.

Rodrigo Olivera

Aug 29, 2016, 7:50:08 PM8/29/16
to Firebase Google Group, m...@dougcorrea.com
Is there any way or tutorial to set up firebase queue in Google cloud console?  firebase triggers sounds much more easy than, any news?

David Taubmann

Mar 9, 2017, 8:56:39 PM3/9/17
to Firebase Google Group
Hi everyone... GOOD NEWS!

With the EXCELLENT NEWS that Triggers have come to life in the name of Google Cloud Function which exist also specifically for Firebase (announced today as Beta, on Monay were still Alpha) which allows in a pretty easy way to generate responses to events originated practically anywhere inside GCP and Firebase (Database and Storage as far I understand). You'll see a new button called Functions in the left menu of your Firebase Console and the inclusion of Functions pricing in the Firbase Pricing structure.

Wanted INFO Links:
Google Cloud Functions: https://cloud.google.com/functions/

Example Links:
Sending emails from Friebase (FINALLY! and just in time for our WebApp): https://github.com/firebase/functions-samples/tree/master/quickstarts/email-users
Sending Notifications to users (both Database and Storage events): https://codelabs.developers.google.com/codelabs/firebase-cloud-functions/index.html

I hope this gets you as excited as I AM!

Kato Richardson

Mar 9, 2017, 9:04:53 PM3/9/17
to Firebase Google Group
I'm pretty excited. ☃☃☃🚀🚀🚀🔥🔥🔥

Jacob Wenger

Mar 9, 2017, 9:55:04 PM3/9/17
to fireba...@googlegroups.com

Olivier Haouchine

Mar 10, 2017, 7:45:09 PM3/10/17
to Firebase Google Group
Very nice news ! What a great improvement for Firebase. It will allow us to move alot of code from client app to server, which is a great thing.
Will Firebase queue become obsolete ?

Le vendredi 10 mars 2017 03:55:04 UTC+1, Jacob Wenger a écrit :
EVERYBODY PARTY!

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 6:04 PM, 'Kato Richardson' via Firebase Google Group <fireba...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'm pretty excited. ☃☃☃🚀🚀🚀🔥🔥🔥

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 4:38 PM, David Taubmann <dav...@qualify.mx> wrote:
[...]

Chris Raynor

Mar 10, 2017, 8:50:43 PM3/10/17
to Firebase Google Group
Hi Olivier,

I'd certainly recommend checking out Cloud Functions for Firebase on any new projects before considering Firebase Queue, and once Cloud Functions is out of beta I think it's going to be a no-brainer.

Firebase Queue was a necessary client-side hack to do what the Database Trigger for Cloud Functions does on the server side 'the right way' (I say this as the author of Firebase Queue). Cloud Functions for Firebase can make many more guarantees around delivery and handling scale than the client-side solution, without incurring the same bandwidth costs, potential slow-down for your entire database, or reaching the limitations of the client's optimistic concurrency transactions. It's also far easier to get started using the CLI to deploy your functions. For now, the one major use-case for Firebase Queue over Cloud Functions is when you need to kick-off work outside of the function environment on your own server, but we're aware of this limitation and hope to remove it in the future.

Chris
Engineer @ Firebase